PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

i think we will take a cb or c with our first pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would we take a CB? We don't need another CB... in fact, it's one of the positions of least need.

Agree Jack. If we're not going cb very early. Amakamura or P. Peterson. The guys available at 2b or 3a "might" be marginally better than Wilhite. I'll pass on a cb this year. Let's see how Bodden comes back next year. If he's lost a step. Then go cb early in the 2012 draft.

Why would we take a CB? We don't need another CB... in fact, it's one of the positions of least need.

I agree that McCourty-Bodden-Arrington-Butler looks strong. BUT...

- Harris at #32 would be a steal, and almost surely the BPA. This roster is stacked enough, and the team has enough draft picks, to warrant a "luxury" pick.

- It's hard to have enough CBs in the 21st century NFL. They're absolutely critical, and they have a high injury rate.

- There's something to be said for building on your strengths.

- Harris at #32 would be a steal, and almost surely the BPA. This roster is stacked enough, and the team has enough draft picks, to warrant a "luxury" pick.

- It's hard to have enough CBs in the 21st century NFL. They're absolutely critical, and they have a high injury rate.

That's a caveat I was going to add. I could easily see BB drafting Brandon Harris, and truth be told it wouldn't upset me at all. I could also see him scooping Allen Bailey. The Hurricanes were so friggin' bad this year that these guys kind of flew under the radar, but BB loves him some South Florida speed and I think both of these guys could be excellent with some real coaching (i.e. NOT Randy Shannon).

Other than QB, we might find a luxury pick at almost any position in the first 100 picks.

I could easily see the Pats going CB at 32. Especially if Harris is there. The NFL passing game is getting so prolific and so complex that you will see a lot of teams playing 5-7 cbs in any given down. Bank on it. Some do it now like the Patriots. Unless they tone down the rules, (which they won't due to safety} this is the way the game is evolving. Belichick restarted this trend again in SB36, similiar to what he did to the Bills in 90.

I agree that this is a BPA pick but personally I would rather see a safety taken that could play the star and potentially be groomed to replace Merriweather. Belichick has been toying with the S playing LB in some packages and in the slot for a couple of years now it seems like he just hasn't quite found the right guy yet. Maybe Robert Sands or DeAndre McDaniel? I don't know I got to look into it more.

Call me crazy, but I think that there's a distinct possibility that we can take anybody that enters the draft with our number one pick.

That's a caveat I was going to add. I could easily see BB drafting Brandon Harris, and truth be told it wouldn't upset me at all. I could also see him scooping Allen Bailey. The Hurricanes were so friggin' bad this year that these guys kind of flew under the radar, but BB loves him some South Florida speed and I think both of these guys could be excellent with some real coaching (i.e. NOT Randy Shannon).

How good is this Brandon Harris kid, I hear his name alot. Is he the next Mccourty in the draft "behind" Haden and Wilson (being Peterson and Akumakura).

He would have to be pretty good warranting a 1st rounder when you have Mccourty/Bodden as starters and Arrington/Butler/Wilhite as backups.

Last edited:
I like the idea of drafting a cornerback.

We could have a very dominant secondary with McCourty and Harris (if he turns out to be a solid player). Plus, we'll still have him for one extra year once McCourty becomes an unrestricted free agent and signs with the Jets! :rolleyes:

How good is this Brandon Harris kid, I hear his name alot. Is he the next Mccourty in the draft "behind" Haden and Wilson (being Peterson and Akumakura).

He would have to be pretty good warranting a 1st rounder when you have Mccourty/Bodden as starters and Arrington/Butler/Wilhite as backups.

Harris (depending on how he runs) has all the skills to be an excellent CB in our system. However please keep in mind that the University of Miami was the worst coached D1 team in the history of college football last year.

Harris makes his bones as a ST demon his first year or so and then with proper coaching and technique work, he becomes something special.

Harris is excellent in run support and break down fairly well for a DB.

In pass protection Harris appears to have the speed and change of direction to play with any receiver (although last year Spiller and Ford of Clemson, both 4.28 guys, out ran him). He shows good mirroring technique and a smooth back pedal.

Where he lacks is in technique, especially against bigger receivers. (Lack of coaching) Floyd of Notre Dame ate him alive during the bowl game. But all of that is easily fixable if he is dedicated and committed. The predraft interview and film session with BB will be huge for him getting drafted by us.

I like Harris, but my favourite CB out of the 2nd tier guys is Aaron Williams out of Texas. He has great size, athletecism and ball skills and with some coaching could be a stud CB. He plays in a very talented Texas secondary so he has a lot of experience in the nickel covering the slot reciever, which would be a big plus for the Pats with McCourty and Bodden starting. He has great size and physicality at 6'1" 195lbs, and I think he would be great for a hybrid CB/FS role. I think his size would add an extra dimension to the Pats secondary because he can better match up against some of the bigger recievers, but also play against the slot reciever. What I really like about him is, like McCourty he offers a ton of special teams value. He's blocked 5 kicks in his career and would be another good young player that can be a beast on defence and special teams.

Harris (depending on how he runs) has all the skills to be an excellent CB in our system. However please keep in mind that the University of Miami was the worst coached D1 team in the history of college football last year.

Harris makes his bones as a ST demon his first year or so and then with proper coaching and technique work, he becomes something special.

Harris is excellent in run support and break down fairly well for a DB.

In pass protection Harris appears to have the speed and change of direction to play with any receiver (although last year Spiller and Ford of Clemson, both 4.28 guys, out ran him). He shows good mirroring technique and a smooth back pedal.

Where he lacks is in technique, especially against bigger receivers. (Lack of coaching) Floyd of Notre Dame ate him alive during the bowl game. But all of that is easily fixable if he is dedicated and committed. The predraft interview and film session with BB will be huge for him getting drafted by us.

Good synopsis OJ. What Harris does well that translates to the next level is tracking the ball and releasing smoothly out of his backpedal. He shows good activity at attacking the ball and not the receiver, and is a solid tackler in run support. He also might test out as the fastest of the upper level corners in this draft.

I like Harris, but my favourite CB out of the 2nd tier guys is Aaron Williams out of Texas. He has great size, athletecism and ball skills and with some coaching could be a stud CB. He plays in a very talented Texas secondary so he has a lot of experience in the nickel covering the slot reciever, which would be a big plus for the Pats with McCourty and Bodden starting. He has great size and physicality at 6'1" 195lbs, and I think he would be great for a hybrid CB/FS role. I think his size would add an extra dimension to the Pats secondary because he can better match up against some of the bigger recievers, but also play against the slot reciever. What I really like about him is, like McCourty he offers a ton of special teams value. He's blocked 5 kicks in his career and would be another good young player that can be a beast on defence and special teams.
Now I wish I'd had a chance to watch some Texas games. :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore