PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think we overestimated the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

UGAPatsfan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Now that we are over the halfway point, I think I can give an unpleasant, but honest assesment...I don't think that the team is underachieving.

I think that we fans were a bit unrealistic as to how good we were going to be this year.

The secondary is, and has been a problem (read quality safety depth, and a true #1 corner), The linebacking core has actually been a surprise and is playing above it's ability(Colving has been average which is surprising), The o-line has been very inconsistent, and to me the most troubling this year has been the poor play of our beloved Tom Brady. I know many of you want to point to the loss of Branch and Givens but there is a glaring problem with that...HE HAS NOT HIT RECIECVERS WHO HAVE BEEN OPEN. The is just no way around that fact period.

I do not think that the Pats will win the superbowl this year (but they will make the playoffs) and I am actually not that dismayed...think about the draft picks we have next year, as well as the CAP SPACE going into free agency. I think that this year was always meant to be a bit of a "purge and rebuild" year from BB and SP's standpoint. I am actually very excited to see what the next 3-4 years brings. This year is just not likely to be a great one. Not horrible, but not dominating either.

Speak for yourself. This team's epitaph was written last March.

Jacky Roberts said:
Shameful that season ticket holders lack faith and are so undeserving and spolied..

Last edited:
Jacky Roberts said:

You were annoying. Now you're just pissing some of us off. Right when this team faces adversity, you jump off the bus. What a fan you are. And don't give me the whole "I'm being realistic." First off, you're not. You're being impatient. Second off, I believe you said in a different post "this team doesn't deserve my emotion or attention." Some fan you are.

i dont know about overestimating the season...no fan with a decent team to support thinks we are not a good enough team for the SB at the start of the season...thats natural for all of us fans
And the story of the season is yet to be written so lets wait and see what happens first..
But something we all do as all fans do is overreact to one game win/loss...We blew out minn and claimed our pass offense back and we will blow out indy ...2 losses ...we claim our season is over even though we are 6-3 ..
Same will happen next week also, we beat green bay "We played patriots football today". We lose "this season is over". both results are what they are - a single game
look at pitt last yr ..they were 7-5 almost out of the playoffs..
iam not sugarcoating anything or saying we are SB caliber team...but best we can do is enjoy every game of an interesting season, lets see how it plays out..good or bad..but i dont think we can do that because we are fans.Its natural for you and me and most of us.
It ain't over until its over...

I'd prefer to be 7-2 or even 8-1 but we're at the point now where there is obvious need for improvement while still having a good record. Teams like Indy, Denver, SD and Baltimore got away with playing crappy (against worse competiton) but those mistakes will come back to haunt them. That always happens when there are no consequences to suffer.

Okay, I know what the problem is, it's a terminology thing.

When you see 6-3, that means six wins and three losses

Some of you guys must have it confused with 3-6 (that's three wins and six losses.)

This team's hit a rough patch, and I just said in another thread, given some of the frustration we're seeing, the poor execution, etc., it could be we end up losing three of four games (I'm thinking of Chicago.) In fact, if anybody's waltzing into the game next week thinking of Chicago, we could lose 4 of 4.

Here's the thing: We're playing pretty poorly right now, but we have a good deal of talent as well (much of it Super Bowl talent.) I can see anywhere from 10-6 to 12-4. After that, it's the story of who's surging when the party starts... and who can dig down the deepest.

These guys might be in the midst of "gelling" as we keep saying. Or they might be in the midst of realizing they're not just the best because they have been in other years. I'm not there - I don't know. Something tells me we have a Brady slump, an offense that's a work in progress, trouble in the secondary, and trouble getting pressure on the opposing QB -- and those are matters of practice and guts, more than attitude or playcalling.

I would be surprised if we don't win the East. I would not be surprised if we're bumped in the first or second round. I would not be surprised if we won it all.

The future's unwritten, of course. I told the "16-0" and "14-2" schedule-readers that there are always games you should win but don't... and opined that you can't ever predict a team going more than 12-4, 13-3 in very special cases... my predictions were right where they are now, in the 10-6 to 12-4 continuum.

Would love to see us win this week and against Chicago... but I'm a patient man. Win in the postseason, and I'm happy.

PFnV

I don't think we overestimated anything. I think we underestimated the Jets. Let's give them some credit

PatsFanInVa said:
Okay, I know what the problem is, it's a terminology thing.

When you see 6-3, that means six wins and three losses

Some of you guys must have it confused with 3-6 (that's three wins and six losses.)

This team's hit a rough patch, and I just said in another thread, given some of the frustration we're seeing, the poor execution, etc., it could be we end up losing three of four games (I'm thinking of Chicago.) In fact, if anybody's waltzing into the game next week thinking of Chicago, we could lose 4 of 4.

Here's the thing: We're playing pretty poorly right now, but we have a good deal of talent as well (much of it Super Bowl talent.) I can see anywhere from 10-6 to 12-4. After that, it's the story of who's surging when the party starts... and who can dig down the deepest.

These guys might be in the midst of "gelling" as we keep saying. Or they might be in the midst of realizing they're not just the best because they have been in other years. I'm not there - I don't know. Something tells me we have a Brady slump, an offense that's a work in progress, trouble in the secondary, and trouble getting pressure on the opposing QB -- and those are matters of practice and guts, more than attitude or playcalling.

I would be surprised if we don't win the East. I would not be surprised if we're bumped in the first or second round. I would not be surprised if we won it all.

The future's unwritten, of course. I told the "16-0" and "14-2" schedule-readers that there are always games you should win but don't... and opined that you can't ever predict a team going more than 12-4, 13-3 in very special cases... my predictions were right where they are now, in the 10-6 to 12-4 continuum.

Would love to see us win this week and against Chicago... but I'm a patient man. Win in the postseason, and I'm happy.

PFnV

Yes I hate being in last place in our division. Wait, what did you say? We are in first? What???

Great thread, the losers arguing about the reasons to quit on the season.

As the Queen would say, we are still following our team until the bitter end and expect steady improvement.

I am not sure how you can judge an NFL team with 7 games left, there have been some disapointments; some questionable coaching decisions, poor playcalling and most of all poor execution. We are 6 and 3, at one time I woudl have salivated for this record, it seems to go back to some of the previous arguments about are we spoiled??

GJAJ15 said:
I am not sure how you can judge an NFL team with 7 games left, there have been some disapointments; some questionable coaching decisions, poor playcalling and most of all poor execution. We are 6 and 3, at one time I woudl have salivated for this record, it seems to go back to some of the previous arguments about are we spoiled??
I guess some can see what the rest of the season is at 9 games...or rather that "can see"..have an agenda and opinion as to what MAY occur..and bail out according to belief..or disbelief in this case.. Last year the team was 5-4..worse and yet with a game improvement at this point, its the end of the world!! What is most disturbing is that when one looks back on many of the seasons past, fans would have jumped for joy at 6-3!! But that calls in perspective and a real understanding of where this team has come from..And MANY are too myopic to understand the big picture of things. Spoiled?? Rotten....many I think. But it also harkens to a non-understanding of what winning football takes and of how a team now is not the team in January...of how a team can improve..is not static and what is..may not be what it will be.
There are dynamics that play into it all and while this loss may SEEM like a killer, in the end, it may only be a bump in the road to Miami. It's all good to take a look at the team now and complain and say the season is over..I don't see any panic like that in Foxboro do you?? Yes, there is concern and there should be, but the last game has not been played. I would have thought so called "knowledgable" fans would know all of this and more..seems SO obvious to me, given the past years..NOT true at all. There are ups and downs and many things that have yet to come together...which means the team is at 6-3 and hardly near its peak. I do NOT think that is all that bad.

KDPpatsfan said:
Now that we are over the halfway point, I think I can give an unpleasant, but honest assesment...I don't think that the team is underachieving.

I think that we fans were a bit unrealistic as to how good we were going to be this year.

The secondary is, and has been a problem (read quality safety depth, and a true #1 corner), The linebacking core has actually been a surprise and is playing above it's ability(Colving has been average which is surprising), The o-line has been very inconsistent, and to me the most troubling this year has been the poor play of our beloved Tom Brady. I know many of you want to point to the loss of Branch and Givens but there is a glaring problem with that...HE HAS NOT HIT RECIECVERS WHO HAVE BEEN OPEN. The is just no way around that fact period.

I do not think that the Pats will win the superbowl this year (but they will make the playoffs) and I am actually not that dismayed...think about the draft picks we have next year, as well as the CAP SPACE going into free agency. I think that this year was always meant to be a bit of a "purge and rebuild" year from BB and SP's standpoint. I am actually very excited to see what the next 3-4 years brings. This year is just not likely to be a great one. Not horrible, but not dominating either.

Feel free to jump off this bus that you got on 5 years ago. You are the fans we do not need. We lose a couple of games and you write the season off. You act like we are 3-6 not 6-3. Do you know how many fans would kill for this record and a shot at the playoffs? Go jump on the Colts or Bears bus with everyone else Mr. Fairweather...we will see who wins the Superbowl this year.

NEM said:
The Jets PLayers did NOT beat us, just look at the game stats. The Jets COACHES beat our Coaches, plain and simple.
Last time I looked I didn't see Mangini or Shottenheimer or Sutton or even Bryan Cox in the trenches...and it was in the trenches where this game was decided..sure the coaches played a part.a part NOT a whole..not the ONLY reason..if the players PLAYED better I think the team would have won..there is now doubt to that. The coaching played a part..but the with pass rush on Brady, no coaching would have helped Brady's poor tosses or the poor routes run..I think execution had a lot to do with it..maybe MORE than coaching...I don't think coaching was the difference..but I do think the Jets plan to win was solid and executed by Pennington and company with ease ..the marches down the field really sunk the team and I don't think coaching would have stopped them..a tough D would have. Coaching played a part..but NOT overwhelmingly so..

i respect people who disagree with me on this subject as pats' fans and i respect their right to voice their opinions, but i still disagree with them.

However, IMHO, it's way too early to go negative on this team. and, even if belichick/brady don't make it to the SB for the (gasp) second year in a row, remember that it took walsh/montana (recognized today as one of the greatest dynasties in the history of the NFL) NINE years to get their four rings. in the intervening five years, they "only" went to one conference championship game (and lost), they lost twice in the divisional playoff round (a la the Pats last year) and even lost once in the Wild Card round...and that was before the cap and free agency, so let's have a little perspective!

Last edited:
NEM said:
Wouldn't it seem logical that part of that "poor execution" is caused by the poor play calling.

The best poker player in the world will never win if he is being dealt bad cards. The best football player in the world will not win if he is dealt bad plays. Logical .

For the most part you seem illogical when it comes to anything but coaching decisions for this team. Come on now, McDaniels does not underthrow the ball, coaches do not run wrong routes, Scarnecchia does not block, Seeley does not tackle on special teams .. you are stuck on the coaches fault and cannot see the forest through the trees. It is not just the coaching, it also has to do with execution.

NEM said:
The Jets PLayers did NOT beat us, just look at the game stats. The Jets COACHES beat our Coaches, plain and simple.

Curious point, especially since we topped the Jets in pretty much every statistical category (excepting third-down conversions). What stats do you believe bear this out? How did Mangini's staff coach the Jets to 14 points off turnovers?

atlpatsfan said:
Feel free to jump off this bus that you got on 5 years ago. You are the fans we do not need. We lose a couple of games and you write the season off. You act like we are 3-6 not 6-3. Do you know how many fans would kill for this record and a shot at the playoffs? Go jump on the Colts or Bears bus with everyone else Mr. Fairweather...we will see who wins the Superbowl this year.
You have been a member of this board for all of ten minutes. I have been a Pats fan for 20 years. I suggest you actually read a post before making an idiot of yourself.

BTW Thanks NEM, and in this game I agree that the gameplan was also poor.

Tunescribe said:
Curious point, especially since we topped the Jets in pretty much every statistical category (excepting third-down conversions). What stats do you believe bear this out? How did Mangini's staff coach the Jets to 14 points off turnovers?

DING DING!!!
We have a winner!
A Doug Fumble and one bad Brady INT later results in two touchdowns for the Jets. How many points did the Jets make without the Pats help?
Was it 3?
Kind of reminds me of the Denver game last year.
Guys upsets happen. Oakland beat Pittsburg. The Lions beat Atlanta. Tampa Bay beat the Eagles. Miami beat da Bears.

I seem to remember a 14-2 Super bowl team back in 2004 losing to the 4-12 Doofins. At least this year when all is said and done we can look back and say, "Yeah, we played bad, but those Jets weren't that bad that year."
We will be fine. Mistakes will get corrected. We will run the table and make play-offs. I mean, for the Jets to win the division, they have to stay at a perfect 12-4 and hope the Pats lose some games that they don't and go 11-5
Just not going to happen.
Everyone, BREATHE!!!!!!
and chill out!

KDPpatsfan said:
You have been a member of this board for all of ten minutes. I have been a Pats fan for 20 years. I suggest you actually read a post before making an idiot of yourself.

BTW Thanks NEM, and in this game I agree that the gameplan was also poor.

Wow, since you and I joined this board at exactly the same time and I have been a Pats fan for 30 years maybe....you should check the facts before you make an IDIOT of yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST