PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I say put Marcellus 'The Human Yo-Yo' Rivers on the field and lets see what he got!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know I am tired of seeing Rivers cut like 3 times since august and wish the team would either keep the guy or cut him PERMANENTLY one way or the other,I don't think its fair to play with the guy by calling him back and one minute he is part of a great team and the other he is looking for a job.

I say put the guy out there against a pretty good team or at least sporadically for a few games and lets see if he's got anything special to say hes a keeper,Then it would be more clear whether he is a Patriots type player or a JAG for another team but for the sake of god lets keep this guy or let him go for once,He deserves a chance with us....or another team who can use a good sized TE.

Last edited:
Re: I say put Marcellus 'The Human Yo-Yo' Rivers on the field and lets see what he go

I know I am tired of seeing Rivers cut like 3 times since august and wish the team would either keep the guy or cut him PERMANENTLY one way or the other,I don't think its fair to play with the guy by calling him back and one minute he is part of a great team and the other he is looking for a job.

I say put the guy out there against a pretty good team or at least sporadically for a few games and lets see if he's got anything special to say hes a keeper,Then it would be more clear whether he is a Patriots type player or a JAG for another team but for the sake of god lets keep this guy or let him go for once,He deserves a chance with us....or another team who can use a good sized TE.

I couldn't agree more. I liked what I saw this summer. He's not a stiff. He's got some skills.

Re: I say put Marcellus 'The Human Yo-Yo' Rivers on the field and lets see what he go

I would be willing to bet that the Patriots front office is candid about Rivers status with the team to only one person: Rivers himself. You do not need to know the Patriots master plan. I don't need to know the Patriots master plan.

The Pats style is to say "This is what we are doing. This is what you gain, this is what we gain. Capiche?" I'm sure hes getting some value of the deal, or else he wouldn't be doing it.

I couldn't agree more. I liked what I saw this summer. He's not a stiff. He's got some skills.

ditto ......this guy looked unreal this preseason...and the only thing I am amazed at....is that no other team tried to pick the guy up...He would be a great asset as our 3rd TE...behind watson, and Brady.....Go Rivers!!!

Maybe we should trade our remaining first rounder to the Dolphins for Patrick Cobbs while we're at it.

Yawn.

I've never seen so much fascination before over a 3rd TE since...Eric Bjornson? Chris Eitzmann?

I would be willing to bet that the Patriots front office is candid about Rivers status with the team to only one person: Rivers himself. You do not need to know the Patriots master plan. I don't need to know the Patriots master plan.

The Pats style is to say "This is what we are doing. This is what you gain, this is what we gain. Capiche?" I'm sure hes getting some value of the deal, or else he wouldn't be doing it.

:agree: Thus the existence of a shadow roster. Marcellus is a big boy. He understands the deal. The Pats have to see what's necessary week to week in terms of personnel. Rivers is a solid 3rd-string TE, but it's not like he's a "gotta have" guy.

I've never seen so much fascination before over a 3rd TE since...Eric Bjornson? Chris Eitzmann?

:rofl: Lest we forget Jed Weaver.

Or we could keep that Watson guy on the field.

No, Marcellus Rivers is so good he should be starting over Watson.

Really.

Whoever said that Rivers has a potential to be a great TE? I DIDN'T - And he has nothing to even compare with a Watson or K. Brady.....But

What I said was to either let the guy show his stuff on the field and if its good keep him for at least the rest of the season,OR let him go and forget him from future pickup unless the TE situation gets devastated by injury and if he is still looking for work by then - BUT I don't think its fair to have this guy dangling like a puppet on a string - LET HIM GO OR KEEP HIM

3 Times taken back and then let go within a 6 week span is a bit ridiculous and not fair to the guy,He deserves more either here or somewhere else as there is always a team looking for a TE that shows at least something and Rivers would not be here if he was totally lousy so he does have some potential.

Would YOU like it if say an employer hired and fired you 4 times within a 6 week span and didn't let you get a taste of what other jobs are out there? - I think you would not be so happy with it - Thats what I think this guy is going through,It must be tough to sleep much when you are tossed about like a toy or rag doll.

This organization is full of class and better than that,I think they should make a final decision of whether Rivers is going to be a Patriot or not well before the end of this season.

I bet everytime the phone rings in Rivers cell phone,he is afraid its the FO to give the boot again .

Jabari Holloway? Arther Love?

The legacy of "Fall Down Fauria" is tough to replace.

Rivers is important because we often play two TE's. We need someone to step in if either Watson or Brady is injured again. Personally, I was surprised to see Rivers cut this last time. Surely, Belichick didn't promise him a roster spot in a couple of weeks for compensation. That, after all (I think) would be a violation of the roster rules, and we know that our team wouldn't bend the rules.

Have we figured out yet that the Shadow Roster is an illusion? Just where are Mills and Rogers and Mays and now Testaverde?

To put the issue another way, WHO DO YOU THINK ARE ON THE PATRIOT"S SHADOW ROSTER? BTW, the Shadow Roster is more than guys that the team would call in case of injury. It used to be players who would be expected to play only for the patriots.

Grow up... Life isn't fair and there are hundreds of guys who would gladly work in the NFL week to week if only their phone ever rang. Rivers is here for a reason - he couldn't stick on anyone else's roster either. Here he's getting paid by the week every week he's picked up, and it beats the hell out of flipping burgers while waiting for a phone call that doesn't come. He has a great chance to stick now with Thomas on IR. He even has a shot at getting on the field here and there. And that will do more for his long term prospects in the NFL than he likely could have realisticallyhoped for last August.

BTW Bill has no need or obligation to show you what Rivers has got. It suffices to say he's got something Bill values, and that's all any of us fans need to know. Drop the immature indignant act and get over yourself. Rivers is fine with the situation and it's nobody's business but his and the teams.

Rivers is important because we often play two TE's. We need someone to step in if either Watson or Brady is injured again. Personally, I was surprised to see Rivers cut this last time. Surely, Belichick didn't promise him a roster spot in a couple of weeks for compensation. That, after all (I think) would be a violation of the roster rules, and we know that our team wouldn't bend the rules.

Have we figured out yet that the Shadow Roster is an illusion? Just where are Mills and Rogers and Mays and now Testaverde?

To put the issue another way, WHO DO YOU THINK ARE ON THE PATRIOT"S SHADOW ROSTER? BTW, the Shadow Roster is more than guys that the team would call in case of injury. It used to be players who would be expected to play only for the patriots.

Shadow rosters aren't an illusion. Not everyone you would hope remains available, but some free up again before you know it. Expectations change as needs change. And guys who hang around, while not compensated, do so knowing the team intends to bring them back. Nothing wrong with that because once they clear waivers they are FA and free to do whatever works for them. If they prefer to hang around a team they believe values them pending necessary roster adjustments, then it works for everyone.

Per askthecommish.com

# Minimum salaries have changed as follows:

Years 2007
$285,000

$360,000

$435,000

$510,000

4-6
$595,000

7-9
$720,000

10+
$820,000

Divide that number by 16 to come up with a weekly salary. Rivers is getting (I believe) 1/16 of $595,000, or $37,187.50 every week he's on the squad. That's just about an average person's annual salary. "Woe is him" is not exactly what springs to my mind. I don't begrudge him his money, but I'm not getting out the collection box for him, either.

Last edited:

I think it means alot more to a player who is a 'yo yo' on a Super Bowl caliber team like this than say if he was having this situation on a Rams,Saints or Dolphins team.

One day he is on a roster that has an excellent chance to be a part of a SB champion team and get a ring,The next day or so he is unemployed per say.

IMO I would hate the mind games but if it were a crap team going nowhere, it would not be such an issue (other than getting paid as a roster member)but it has to irk any player who gets cut and back 3 times in 6 weeks despite what anyone else thinks about it.

Think about it,One day he is saying "WOW I am on a team that could bring a Super Bowl Ring on this finger" and the next day he is thinking he might have to take a job in retail sales or similar - Its got to be nerve racking.

As far as what he is making is irrelevant,Its about being on a championship caliber roster or not being a part of it - I think there are some players all around the league who would play for nearly nothing of what they are making just to join this team knowing they could be a championship member of this team.

Last edited:

Jabari Holloway? Arther Love?

Rod Rutledge...Dave Stachelski...Fred Baxter...Cam Cleeland...Spencer Nead.

On the whole, I'd rather have Jermaine Wiggins.

No, Marcellus Rivers is so good he should be starting over Watson.

Really.

I say River supplants Watson as the starter by the end of the year. :singing:

Would YOU like it if say an employer hired and fired you 4 times within a 6 week span and didn't let you get a taste of what other jobs are out there? - I think you would not be so happy with it - Thats what I think this guy is going through,It must be tough to sleep much when you are tossed about like a toy or rag doll.

I think he's greatful to have an NFL job (at times) as opposed to not having an NFL job. Sure, who wouldn't want security? But job security is not what bubble players have - and there's always some players on the bubble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes