Welcome to PatsFans.com

I didn't see one but it is well deserved.. props to Josh McD.

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by cstjohn17, Jan 7, 2007.

1. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +41 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

The offense has settled into a groove. A lot of the junk plays have been removed as the strengths of the offense have emerged. Going against the best defense in the league over the past 8 games he came up with a game plan that simply shredded the Jets.

The starting drive was brilliant, instead of some fancy Xs and Os they went straight at the injured Dyson and Gaffney ate him alive. Appropriate balance of passing versus rushing and allowing Brady to set the tempo were also impressive. They understood which personnel created mismatches and exploited them. Running the ball 3 times in row to Faulk showed a killer instinct. Last but not least they created formations that allowed Brady and the O line to identify the blitzes, Brady barely got touched. His only sack was a coverage sack and he even admitted he should have thrown it away.

I was really impressed, it may not be the 49ers from the 80s but the game plan and in game adjustments were money. Earlier in the year I questioned some of the play calling and the offensive identity (and I was not alone) but as a comfort level with the current players has emerged the offense has produced. The momentum meter is heading in the right direction.

Props to the OC, Josh McD. congratulations, keep up the good work.
  2. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Since they went to the spread formation things have been going very well. Now I don't know if that was due to not having the faith in the wr's just yet.

And the pats seems to like that maroney power i formation to the left behind evans quite a bit. they ran it about 4 times.

He's done very well. I'm estatic where things are now versus the difficulties they had earlier in the season.

Props to him
  3. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's all because of Vinny.
  4. BruschiOnTap

BruschiOnTap Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The playcalling wasn't overly creative but it was certainly a cut above the standard set this year. It exploited mismatches and kept the defense guessing, can't ask for more than that
  5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I'm happy they won, but during the game they kept showing a graphic where after the Pats' first drive, they were getting killed on offense (total yards, passing/rushing yards) compared to the Jets. The red zone offense also wasn't very efficient.

I would say Josh is getting better and is not a bad OC, but I would still hold back on declaring him a good OC.
  6. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

there does seem to be a correlation, but I'll take it and don't care who caused it. it's all about team.
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +450 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

For the most part I've been fine with the offense all year and it shows in our point and yard totals. The only problem I have, and I've come to accept it, is in the last 10 minutes the Patriots are always a lot more aggressive throwing than I would be. Once you're in that last part of the game with the lead I like to investigate with a run on 1st and 10 every time. If you're stuffed you can throw but if not you're in a decent 2nd down with the clock moving.

Regardless we have a rock solid OC and he's so young that even as a Patriot assistant we may get to keep him for a while.
  8. PatsSteve1

PatsSteve1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

9. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I'm sure our resident internet OC will be along in just a moment to add his kudos...:D

I heard the broadcast team say that the JETS were caught off guard by all the sideline throws because for some reason they expected a totally different game plan with lots of crossing routes and slants across the middle of the field. That'll teach Mangenius to lurk on this message board. :eek:
  10. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,520 / 16 / -12

Disable Jersey

Two things illustrate the brilliance of today's game plan and offense.
    First, the drive at the end of the half which took a tie game and gave the Pats a decent 7 pt lead going into halftime. The pass to Graham was the stuff of legend. Reading the LB with his back turned and then threading the pass where only Graham could catch it. (Thank God it wasn't Watson)

Then the 6+ minute drive late in the game that drove a stake into the heart of the undead from Hackensack. Josh called run after run. Brady laughed about it in his press conf saying Josh called him on the earphones and said, "Run it AGAIN!" play after play. Topped off by a brilliantly called and of course well executed pass to Kevin "My Man" Faulk for a killer TD.

The Asante TD was just lipstick on the corpse.
  11. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

You overlooked a stat - 30 offensive points.

Brady's comments
    http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/01/bradys_comments_1.html
  12. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,520 / 16 / -12

Disable Jersey

way to go, bro!
  13. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What are you on? You been hanging on with Merriman lately or something?

I bet you're wearing a muscle shirt right now.
  14. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I read some of the transcripts from Mangini:

(On New England adjustments to the blitz packages from last game)

They started out in the no-huddle—it was something that we’d worked on—but that initial drive. I think that was one answer. They did a little bit better job where they incorporated more quick outs to try to prevent the disguise, that type of thing. Then, [they] mixed in the screens, some wide receiver screens and things like that as well.

(On Chad Pennington’s

that was from Reiss
  15. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +181 / 11 / -14

141 points in the last 4 games. No worries here. By the way, the other team is trying to stop Brady and company.
  16. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,367 / 59 / -71

Disable Jersey

Don't waste your typing. With far too many people, the Patriots could go undefeated and average victory margins of 45-3 over the course of the season AND the playoffs, and all you'd hear was "What the hell happened to the defense when it gave up 9 points in the Super Bowl?".

(and no, I'm not talking about NEM).
  17. Mack Herron

Mack Herron Rookie

Ratings:
    +240 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

Steamroller baby. What's that yellow and blue thing in the road?
  18. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +73 / 2 / -0

Yes - McDaniels does deserve credit... of course, having the players execute well makes him look good too - but the spread offense and the no huddle really seem to make this team unstoppable (especially when they don't turn the ball over)

For whatever the reason (personnel unable to execute I suppose) it took McDaniels awhile to grow comfortable in the spread offense and use the no huddle in more than the 2 minute drill.

Luckilly all that counts now is which team is peaking in the playoffs - and I think nearly every team would admit, that's the Patriots.
  19. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Q&A with Author James Lavin
    http://patriots.scout.com/2/607378.html
    Poor Mike Martz, he was never in the running.
  20. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +235 / 22 / -10

Great game They posted 37 points and unveiled a new weapon that has slowly been developing. Don't forget Gaffney joined us for their 7th game and had taken about 10 games to figure out whats going on. IMO, Gaffney's development made Gabriel redundant and cuttable.