Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
He went off unprepared in his attempt to make hitting on the football field a bad thing. Now a finger to a QBs helmet is a penalty and a fine, and DBs are afraid to touch a WR.
His Holier than Thou approach to hold a league of mostly 20 to 30 year olds to his own moral judgment in their personal life has been an abject failure, as he makes snap decisions creates precedent then cannot match future offenses to the precedent he set.
Lately he decides to suspend a player based on his being suspended in college. When it is found out that this creates a terrible precedent he lies about the reason.
Now Jim Tressell VOLUNTEERS to work for free in the Colts booth, and since he suspended Pryor someone complains about it, and now Tressell is suspended.
How is Pryor not suspended for his college suspension, but for "Fing with the draft" yet Tressell is suspended (from a non paying job) for his college suspension?

Goddell is painting himself into a corner with his decisions that he refuses to think through.

Oh yeah, and apparently he is responsible for the NFL being a league that can't hit once a week every week to be prepared for games.

Last edited by a moderator:
He went off unprepared in his attempt to make hitting on the football field a bad thing. Now a finger to a QBs helmet is a penalty and a fine, and DBs are afraid to touch a WR.
His Holier than Thou approach to hold a league of mostly 20 to 30 year olds to his own moral judgment in their personal life has been an abject failure, as he makes snap decisions creates precedent then cannot match future offenses to the precedent he set.
Lately he decides to suspend a player based on his being suspended in college. When it is found out that this creates a terrible precedent he lies about the reason.
Now Jim Tressell VOLUNTEERS to work for free in the Colts booth, and since he suspended Pryor someone complains about it, and now Tressell is suspended.
How is Pryor not suspended for his college suspension, but for "Fing with the draft" yet Tressell is suspended (from a non paying job) for his college suspension?

Goddell is painting himself into a corner with his decisions that he refuses to think through.

Oh yeah, and apparently he is responsible for the NFL being a league that can't hit once a week every week to be prepared for games.

Yessir,

Reactive, judgmental, and paranoid. Not the sort of person to be in this position. He'll be the Captain Queeg of the NFL in the history books.

I don't think you'll find much disagreement with that sentiment here. I'm sick of the moralizing in general that comes out of the commissioner's office. This isn't ethics-ball, and we know that a lot of the players are questionable, at best, people. We just don't really care.

I don't think you'll find much disagreement with that sentiment here. I'm sick of the moralizing in general that comes out of the commissioner's office. This isn't ethics-ball, and we know that a lot of the players are questionable, at best, people. We just don't really care.
Even beyond the criteria he bases his decision making on, its the inability to structure a policy and its enforcement in a way that doenst create a nightmare for all future instances that is scary.
Its kind of like opening a company, and making disciplinary decisions without any thought of what happens the next time.
Best employee shows up late and you take him to dinner to find out the problem and buy him an alarm clock. You have set up future problems.
More to the Goddell point employee shows up 3 minutes late one day and you stand in the middle of the office and publicly berate them and fire them. What happens when the next employee is late, with a legitimate reason?

I was convinced a long time ago.

Welcome to the club Andy, there are many including myself that have thought that Goody was an Idiot for years. Goddell is BAD for the game.

Last edited:
I do not know if Goddell is bad for the game or not, but the fact that he is a huge Jets fan is just not right.

I do not know if Goddell is bad for the game or not, but the fact that he is a huge Jets fan is just not right.
Remember the two commisioners preceding Goddell Rozel and Tagliabu? They were hardly ever in the news, we hear about Goody all the time.

The job of NFL commissioner should be filled with someone entirely unconnected with the NFL. Obviously, he'd be a fan, and have knowledge of the game, but he should not have ever worked for any club or be connected to any owner.

Only by hiring such a person can the position remain free from the taint, even if only alleged, of bias or conflict of interest.

Goodell needs to go. Someone from outside needs to come in and take over.

Remember the two commisioners preceding Goddell Rozel and Tagliabu? They were hardly ever in the news, we hear about Goody all the time.

Could be because Goddell is the first non-lawyer the league has had in 50 plus years. Lawyers know better than to play the fool like Goddell does on a regular basis.

Just finding this out?

"Idiot" might be strong, but over reactive? sure. The NFL sells the violence, then complains about it.

But the NCAA makes the NFL seem downright logical. The NCAA will strip a team of wins and titles for indiscretions by players even though (1) the team did not illegally recruit the player, (2) did not illegally retain the player, and (3) did not cheat on the field. Why should the TEAM lose anything in the past.

Then again, what was the penalty for Denver illegally manipulating the cap to keep players it otherwise could not keep, and how did it compare to the Pats taping improperly for later use?

A couple of things. Even before Goodell, this league has been a reactionary league and implementing rules or emphasizing rules because of one or two stand alone plays in a season or one player blatantly violating a rule. Stupid rules like the Emmitt Smith Rule and Roy Williams Rule predate his tenure as commissioner.

Also, I think these rules are in place because the NFL fears a future lawsuit by players whose lives are ruined by concussions. I think the NFL is going to be sued for past concussions and their apparent ignoring the seriousness of the situation. Now they are going overboard to show that they are taking steps to minimize concussions to reduce their liability.

Lastly, didn't Tressel voluntarily take the six game suspension? That is what I heard on the radio.

Last edited:
Now a finger to a QBs helmet is a penalty and a fine, and DBs are afraid to touch a WR.

Didn't they just change or respecify that rule to say that incidental contact would not be penalized? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember somebody talking about that because last year or the year before a defenders hand brushed a QBs helmet and it was flagged.

Then again, what was the penalty for Denver illegally manipulating the cap to keep players it otherwise could not keep, and how did it compare to the Pats taping improperly for later use?

How about asking what the penalty was for Denver when they were found to have actually taped the 49ers walk through compared to what the Pats got as punishment for Spygate?

We all know that the Pats were hammered significantly harder than other NFL franchise had ever been punished before. We also know that the Denver offense was committed years AFTER Spygate.

You would think that the punishmnent would be more severe since there was already a precedent, yet the punishment was a $100,000.00 fine.

But then, the Broncos aren't likely to prevent the Rats from advancing to a Superbowl, are they?

Last edited:
How about asking what the penalty was for Denver when they were found to have actually taped the 49ers walk through compared to what the Pats got as punishment for Spygate?

We all know that the Pats were hammered significantly harder than other NFL franchise had ever been punished before. We also know that the Denver offense was committed years AFTER Spygate.

You would think that the punishmnent would be more severe since there was already a precedent, yet the punishment was a $100,000.00 fine.

But then, the Broncos aren't likely to prevent the Rats from advancing to a Superbowl, are they?
Thats because McDaniels work for BB so its BBs fault anyway. I'm surprised the Pats didn't lose a pick for the Broncos getting caught.

Yeah. I didn't get the whole suspension of Tress. He lost his job at Ohio State. That was his punishment. He lost something that he had build over the span of 10 years. He also went from earning $3.5 million per year to about 100 grand give or take in the NFL. He went from being an elite HC in college to being jobless college HC with zero chances of every coaching in the NCAAF.

The idiot QB ran away from his punishment. He got a decent pay day at the pro's.

Last edited:
Didn't they just change or respecify that rule to say that incidental contact would not be penalized? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember somebody talking about that because last year or the year before a defenders hand brushed a QBs helmet and it was flagged.

This is true, I was going to point out the same thing. Now it is much like the facemask penalty, unless it's blatant, it's not a penalty.

That being said, I do agree very much that Goodell is pushing too hard and hurting the league.

Thats because McDaniels work for BB so its BBs fault anyway. I'm surprised the Pats didn't lose a pick for the Broncos getting caught.

What's sad is that this isn't really hyperbole.

Remember after "Tripgate", it was the "Pats possibly doing the same thing that the Rats did" that the Pats had to answer for on playoff weekend. Jay Glazer, who seems to always be in the right place for these things, produced video tape purportedly showing that the Pats had done the same thing.

Since a charge such as this is supposed to be brought up to the league offices and not through the media, where is Goodell's response to this?

OTHER teams commit offenses, but the Pats get to answer for the charges.

Such is life for a dominant, non-NY team in Goodell's world.

Last edited:
A couple of things. Even before Goodell, this league has been a reactionary league and implementing rules or emphasizing rules because of one or two stand alone plays in a season or one player blatantly violating a rule. Stupid rules like the Emmitt Smith Rule and Roy Williams Rule predate his tenure as commissioner.

Also, I think these rules are in place because the NFL fears a future lawsuit by players whose lives are ruined by concussions. I think the NFL is going to be sued for past concussions and their apparent ignoring the seriousness of the situation. Now they are going overboard to show that they are taking steps to minimize concussions to reduce their liability.

Lastly, didn't Tressel voluntarily take the six game suspension? That is what I heard on the radio.

Yup, but don't try to stand in the way of a self absorbed, paranoia driven group think total meltdown...

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back