PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I agree with Borges

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
And his column today. This Branch situation was handled horribly. The Pats say a guy like Branch is everything they want... then they lowball him. If you're a Pats player and see this happen, how do you think it won't happen to you?

I'm done drinking the Kool-Aid on every topic. Belichick is a great coach... an HOFer... but he screwed this up royally.

oldrover said:
And his column today. This Branch situation was handled horribly. The Pats say a guy like Branch is everything they want... then they lowball him. If you're a Pats player and see this happen, how do you think it won't happen to you?

I'm done drinking the Kool-Aid on every topic. Belichick is a great coach... an HOFer... but he screwed this up royally.

Remember he is under his original contract with us for one year. After that our offer averages over 6 mil a year.

Branch wants to rip up the last year of his contract.

If we compare the average dollars for a new contract with offers they are almost the same.

Of course these "offers" are only words until someone makes a trade offer.

He is under contract after all.

What would you do differently?

I Like Branch as much as the next guy. But there's something that needs to be said. He's frail, doesn't always play a full season. And too many times I've seen him hit the turf or, head out of bounds to avoid contact. I think he plays a little soft.

Who lowballed who?

Branch was the one who didn't honor the contract.

The Pats aren't going to cave for ANY player in ANY season.

Get that through your mind, and you will rest happily.

Last edited:
I agree that the Pats mis-calculated by letting Branch go out and solicit contracts with other teams. At the time I agreed with the move. Negotiations were going nowhere, and it seemed a way to get things jumpstarted.

However, in hindsight, it did blow up in their face. Branch has dug in even further, filing grievances to try and get out.

I guess everyone makes mistakes sometime. The best thing at this point would probably be to trade him and move on. I don't want it lingering all season.

I get a kick out of everyone who says Branch got lowballed.
He signed an incentive laden contract that at the time all parties agreed was fair and equitable - he needs to live with it.
He is not the driving force in this offense - Mr. Brady would be the man for that.
He was offered a contract averaging 6 mil/yr. after his current contract is up
If he stays and is franchised next year he'll be among the top 5 paid WR's in the league.

Lowballed???????????????????????????????????????????

NE39 said:
I agree that the Pats mis-calculated by letting Branch go out and solicit contracts with other teams. At the time I agreed with the move. Negotiations were going nowhere, and it seemed a way to get things jumpstarted.

However, in hindsight, it did blow up in their face. Branch has dug in even further, filing grievances to try and get out.

I guess everyone makes mistakes sometime. The best thing at this point would probably be to trade him and move on. I don't want it lingering all season.

It takes two parties to negotiate.

They got a one year younger guy yesterday who had half of last year's Branch production (Deion's best ever, btw) cathching errant missiles thrown by Kerry Collins, for godssake......in a weak RB offense where opposing D's played Nickel 80% of the time. What can he do in ours???????

That's 50% of Branch for 10% of the money. And if they lose Branch they'll get AT LEAST a 2nd rounder for him.

That's freakin SYMPHONIC.

DSal said:
He signed an incentive laden contract that at the time all parties agreed was fair and equitable - he needs to live with it.

Did he meet all of those incentives, and if not why not?

shmessy said:
They got a one year younger guy yesterday who had half of last year's Branch production (Deion's best ever, btw) cathching errant missiles thrown by Kerry Collins, for godssake......in a weak RB offense where opposing D's played Nickel 80% of the time. What can he do in ours???????

That's 50% of Branch for 10% of the money. And if they lose Branch they'll get AT LEAST a 2nd rounder for him.

That's freakin SYMPHONIC.

Brilliant!...well said

vyrago said:
DSal said:

Did he meet all of those incentives, and if not why not?

He met the incentives which doubled his salary for this season.

RayClay said:
It takes two parties to negotiate.

Yes, but the Pats letting him talk to other teams proved to be a mistake. The wedge between him and the team is even bigger now.

I don't see the lowball argument or that the Pats screwed up, not just drinking the koolaid, primarily he is under contract. Secondly, his agent screwed up by going public and bad mouthing the Pats, doing this polarized Deion from this team. Thirdly, the contract offered was not that bad, we do not know all the details of the Jets and Seahawks, but we do know the Jets offer had a "funky" structure.

I do not think you will ever see Deion in a Pats uniform again and predict it will be resolved somehow with another team, looks like the Seahawks, before an arbitrator rules.

Before anyone can say that BB "lowballed" Deion, wouldn't it be necessary to refuse an offer? The Pats made two reasonable (if not delicious) offers to Branch, which his agent chose to ignore and not counteroffer! It's Branch and his agent who cut off negotiations -- in my view, to shoot his way out of town. Failure to counteroffer tells me that Branch wanted only one thing: get a team other than NE to tear up the last year of his contract and collect $6m for 5 or 6 years a la Reggie Wayne. He may get that from Seattle, but saying that BB lowballed Deion in the absence of a counteroffer is ridiculous!

People are saying that letting Deion test the market blew up in the Pats' face. I think they knew exactly what the scenarios were: 1) he doesn't get a king's offer and re-signs with NE, or 2) he gets the offer he wants, and the Pats' move on with compensation and no cloud over the season. (No one's talking about the distraction of DB sitting out while WRs get injured, drop balls, etc.)

If BB did half the things Borges advocates, he'd be Herm Edwards or some other bottom dweller.

NE39 said:

While your point seems correct, I have a hard time believing that the Patriots couldn't have been able to predict this outcome. Did we really think that we would recieve anything close to two number 1s? Or that when we didn't receive what we wanted that Denion would not react well? Thus, I have to believe the the Pats knew the outcome and it's part of the plan. That said, it doesn't seem like the best way to either retain current players or to attract free agents.

Considering Branch was holding the Pats hostage pretty much, if the Pats get a 1st from Seattle, I would have to say the Pats made out like Bandits.

They will gotten Gabriel and a first for Branch and a 5th.

So if that happens, I think the FO will walk away smelling like roses.

That said, I would rather have Branch. I guess I misunderstood some of the initial explenations of the Pats first offers. I think if they made the same offer but had it kick in a year earlier, we may not have been witnessing this mess!

AS far as BorgASS, his opinion is meaningless as it is based on nothing other then his hatred for BB. Even when he tries to back up his opinion with the facts, it is BorgASS trying to find events to back up his preconcieved agenda, not the facts helping him to come up with is opinion.

Atlanta Patsfan said:
Did we really think that we would recieve anything close to two number 1s?

The fact that the Pats have asked for 2 number ones has been nothing but speculation the whole time.

NE39 said:
Yes, but the Pats letting him talk to other teams proved to be a mistake. The wedge between him and the team is even bigger now.

He wasn't honoring his contract before and he wasn't negotiating.

How was that better?

Don't get me wrong: Branch has acted like an idiot during this whole thing.

And Borges loves stirring the pot. However, even a broken clock is right twice a day. I just see a consistent approach by the Pats in these FA things (and yes, I understand Branch is not an FA): lowball, wait, and then try to swoop in at the end if another team outbids them. To date, it hasn't worked very well... IMHO they need to upgrade the level of contact with their players during the negotiations. I'm not saying offer more, just make the players feel wanted. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft