PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How would drafting Brian Leonard affect guys like Evans, Pass, and Mills??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we will wait and see. It sounds like a pipe dream to me, he is nice player but nothing to get hysterical about, not worth a round 1 pick. If Maroney blossoms the way we hope it won't be hard to find a big bruiser to complete the 2 back system.

Evans is a JAG, maybe a better than average JAG but still an an end of the roster guy, veteran minimum, easily replaceable.

We will see the combine results. However, three years from now no one will remember whether he is drafted #28, #58 or #78. What we will remember is that we have Leonard for an additional contract year, and that he is a major contributer to the team.

BTW, Leonard is well-qualified to be an everyday runner. He and Maroney could be a great one-two punch through the end of the decade. He projects to being much more valuable than Evans or Pass or Mills. Also, I would make every effort to re-sign Evans, rather than Pass (although they could both be in camp competing for a spot).

Mills has never been a running back or a fullback. Please re-read three times. He was injured in camp. He should make the roster as a receiver (TE or WR).

Dillon, Maroney, Faulk
Leonard, Evans

Mills is a bottom of the roster player. Evans and Leonard are not.

[*]Mills is more of a hyrid, movement TE or pass catching FB (H Back). He hasn't proven he can do either role at the NFL level.
Leonard hasn't proven anything at the NFL level, either. So what? We're talking about guys to be drafted and rookies who were red-shirted. This "proven" stuff is a lot of baloney.

No, he's not another Garrett Mills because Mills never ran the football in college.
He ran the ball about as often as Randel El ran pass routes at Indiana, and more often than Antonio Gates caught passes that weren't on a basketball court. Don't get locked into the thought that because a guy didn't do this or that in college, he can't do it in the NFL. Or conversely, because he did it in college he can do it in the NFL. Like above, you can't prove anything by what a player did or didn't do in college. Mike Ruth taught all Pats fans that.

And don't you guys be dissing Garrett Mills here. He's going to step up next year. Graham is gone, Watson #1, Thomas #2, and Mills #3.

Anyway, Leonard has too much hype going. Someone will reach for him. And I like the practice squad guy we have, Qaudtrine Hill. Of course, I REALLY REALLY liked Patrick Cobbs.

And don't you guys be dissing Garrett Mills here. He's going to step up next year. Graham is gone, Watson #1, Thomas #2, and Mills #3.

Anyway, Leonard has too much hype going. Someone will reach for him. And I like the practice squad guy we have, Qaudtrine Hill. Of course, I REALLY REALLY liked Patrick Cobbs.

Hard to argue with such a keen eye of talent, Patrick Cobbs for the Hall of Fame.

2006 Stats - http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1109792

If Watson, Thomas and Mills are our TEs who is going to block? All three are pretty good at catching the ball but none of them can block worth a lick. Look for the Pats to add either a Day 2 draft pick or a JAG who can block and play STs.

Leonard hasn't proven anything at the NFL level, either. So what? We're talking about guys to be drafted and rookies who were red-shirted. This "proven" stuff is a lot of baloney.

He ran the ball about as often as Randel El ran pass routes at Indiana, and more often than Antonio Gates caught passes that weren't on a basketball court. Don't get locked into the thought that because a guy didn't do this or that in college, he can't do it in the NFL. Or conversely, because he did it in college he can do it in the NFL. Like above, you can't prove anything by what a player did or didn't do in college. Mike Ruth taught all Pats fans that.

That's just it. Its NOT hype with Leonard. I caught several of the games this year and he was very SOLID as a lead blocker. And he was good out of the back-field.

I would love to see him in the backfield with Maroney because, as BOR said, he'd be a great 1-2 with Maroney. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a better blocker as Evans has, but also get some good runs and continue to be a versatile weapon the way he was in college.

Hard to argue with such a keen eye of talent, Patrick Cobbs for the Hall of Fame.

2006 Stats - http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1109792

If Watson, Thomas and Mills are our TEs who is going to block? All three are pretty good at catching the ball but none of them can block worth a lick. Look for the Pats to add either a Day 2 draft pick or a JAG who can block and play STs.

Thomas turned into a decent blocker by the end of the season.

Mills, I believe, will be the "H-BACK" in the mold of Chris Cooley. And blocking can be taught.

That's just it. Its NOT hype with Leonard. I caught several of the games this year and he was very SOLID as a lead blocker. And he was good out of the back-field.

I would love to see him in the backfield with Maroney because, as BOR said, he'd be a great 1-2 with Maroney. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a better blocker as Evans has, but also get some good runs and continue to be a versatile weapon the way he was in college.

There was an article pointing out that Belichick was at Rutgers v. Navy--and he got to see Brian Leonard's blocking up close.

If he liked what he saw. . . . some of us might be ecstatic come draft time. :)

If he likes what he saw, it is Leonard at #28. He won't get by the jets.

There was an article pointing out that Belichick was at Rutgers v. Navy--and he got to see Brian Leonard's blocking up close.

If he liked what he saw. . . . some of us might be ecstatic come draft time. :)

If he likes what he saw, it is Leonard at #28. He won't get by the jets.
That's the problem for me. The guy is basically a FB, not a first day pick, never mind a first round pick.

At 28, a CB or ILB will have so much more impact on this team than a FB/RB.

Yeah, he will knock Heath Evans off the team, but is that so much of an upgrade? Draft a CB at 28 and knock Chad Scott off the team. Now THAT is an upgrade. Or pick up Willis or Siler at 28 and knock Woods or Mays or Alexander off the team. Those are bigger upgrades than Leonard for Evans.

That's the problem for me. The guy is basically a FB, not a first day pick, never mind a first round pick.

At 28, a CB or ILB will have so much more impact on this team than a FB/RB.

Yeah, he will knock Heath Evans off the team, but is that so much of an upgrade? Draft a CB at 28 and knock Chad Scott off the team. Now THAT is an upgrade. Or pick up Willis or Siler at 28 and knock Woods or Mays or Alexander off the team. Those are bigger upgrades than Leonard for Evans.

But it wouldn't be just Leonard for Evans. Leonard has some of the skills that Kevin Faulk has and some of the skills that Corey Dillon has. That's why he has the potential to be a 1st round pick.

BTW, I can remember no to long ago that people thought it was a stretch to take a GUARD in the 1st round. Or a SAFETY. Yet, the Pats took Mankins with the full intent of making him a guard. Some of the best safeties in the game have been taken in round 1 over the past 7 years.

I agree that if we do not sign a linebacker or two that even pioli will feel forced to take a linebacker at 28, even though a rookie linebacker is NOT likely to have much influence on the 2007 season.

However, if we were to sign say Fletcher and Spikes, we wouldn't draft a linebacker until one of Round 6 comp picks.

For the first year, I actually expect us to sign a couple of free agents before the draft whose name we recognize (not necessarily a good sign).

Another opinion/profile of Brian Leonard, this from one of the best - John Murphy

Brian Leonard, Rutgers. This is one of the best pure football players in this year's draft – one that is versatile enough to play either running back or fullback at the next level.

Leonard bulked up for his senior campaign in order to serve as the lead blocker for Ray Rice, but what impressed both scouts, coaches and teammates alike was that, unlike most potential pro athletes, he put his team and its needs ahead of his own after having gained over 3,900 yards of total offense in his first three seasons with the Scarlet Knights.

He has some of the draft's best hands out of the backfield, having totaled 207 career receptions. He was able to bruise his way to yardage in the second half of games, but he also has quick feet to the hole and can bounce a few carries outside for big gains. A good cutback-style runner, Leonard uses very good vision, balance and power to consistently gain yardage. That said, he needs to make better use of his size once he gets into the open field. He has been susceptible to being tackled around the ankles or when defenders grab at his legs.

Leonard proved to be a viable and productive member of the backfield from the fullback position. A very good cut blocker, he can stand his ground firmly when picking up the blitz. He will dip his head at times and lead in without having the full balance of his body weight underneath him, but his effort is never waning.

Leonard's workout numbers will surprise. He has spent the offseason getting his weight back down to the mid-220-pound range while focusing on his explosiveness, speed and quickness in the 40-yard dash and drills. It should not be surprising to see him run in the 4.5 range at the combine.

It seems to me that the last great "pure football" player to play in New Jersey, a guy named Klecko, BB jumped on even though he didn't have the size/skill set to play in our defense.

Hard to imagine BB not liking Leonard or the LB currently playing at BC, Toal. Two Jersey guys.

Brian Leonard Combine Transcript
BRIAN LEONARD
DAVE WEINBERG, ATLANTIC CITY PRESS

COMBINE INTERVIEW WITH RUTGERS
FULLBACK/RUNNING BACK BRIAN LEONARD

HOW DIFFICULT WAS IT TO GO FROM BEING THE FEATURE BACK FOR 3 YEARS TO SHARING THE LOAD WITH RAY RICE?
"It made it a lot easier for me because Ray Rice is not just a heck of a running back, he's also a heck of a guy. Yes, I was the star running back for three years, but I embraced my role as the fullback. Making a block for Ray felt just as good as scoring an 80-yard touchdown.''

DID SHARING THE LOAD MAYBE SAVE SOME WEAR AND TEAR ON YOUR BODY?
"My first three years my body was pretty beat up. This year I shared the carries with Ray and you saw what our team was able to do this year.''

HAVE YOU LOST WEIGHT SINCE THE SEASON?
"Yes. I bulked up during the season in order to play fullback and I played at 238. I weighed in at 226 today and I feel better. I wanted to drop some weight to get quicker and faster and hopefully it will show up when I work out on Sunday.''

WHAT DO YOU SEE YOUR ROLE BEING IN THE NFL?
"If a team needs me to be a straight-ahead blocking fullback, then that's what I'll do. I don't feel that using me that way would be getting the best out of me, but if the team wants me to do that, I'll do it. I'm all about helping a team win. All I care about is helping a team win and I'll do whatever it takes to help them.

"I think I'm at my best when I get out in the flat, get the ball in my hands and make some people miss. But again, if the team wants me to be a straight-ahead blocking fullback, I'll do it to the best of my ability.''

DO YOU PATTERN YOUR GAME AFTER ANYONE IN THE NFL?
"I like Mike Alstott a lot, but I'm more versatile. I think I'm the kind of player that can stay on the field from first to fourth down. I can run the ball, catch it, block and pass block. Whatever they need me to do. I think I'm able to handle a full workload.''
-----
DID YOU CONSIDER ENTERING THE DRAFT LAST YEAR?
"Yes, I did. I was coming off three straight good years, so I definitely thought about it. I sent for some information from the NFL and they told me I'd be a first-day draft pick. I talked over with my family and others and they all told me to follow my heart. I stayed and I have no regrets. I didn't carry the ball as much this year, but I don't think it hurt my draft status at all.''

WHAT DO YOU THINK TEAMS ARE LOOKING FOR FROM YOU?
"I think it's about how much you can do. I'm versatile enough to be able to stay in there every down.''

WHAT KIND OF OFFENSE DO YOU THINK FITS YOU BEST?
"I think I'm more of a West Coast offense kind of guy, whether it's catching the ball out of a two-back set or lining up in a one-back set and running the ball. I'm a tough, hard-nosed kind of guy.''

DO YOU HAVE A PREFERENCE WHICH TEAM DRAFTS YOU?
"I'll go anywhere and do anything they want me to do. I think I'm very versatile. I really don't think there are any limits on my game.''

HOW DID IT FEEL TO WIN THE DADDY TROPHY THIS SEASON?
"It was very important to me and my family. This is more than just about football. Getting my degree (in Labor Studies) mean a lot, as did my community service. That's something my parents taught me. I know it doesn't get talked about as much as what you do on the football field, but I enjoy visiting kids in hospitals and reading to kids.

"Coach Schiano has 4 boys and he told them he'd rather they win the Daddy Trophy than the Heisman Trophy.''

Brian Leonard 6' 1.5", 226, just ran a 4.49/40, unofficially. He put up 28 reps at 225 and I believe had a 34" vertical. I hope to see him in some of the cut drills, but I'd say he has helped his case with good measurables on top of a fine college career.

Brian Leonard 6' 1.5", 226, just ran a 4.49/40, unofficially. He put up 28 reps at 225 and I believe had a 34" vertical. I hope to see him in some of the cut drills, but I'd say he has helped his case with good measurables on top of a fine college career.
He has helped himself but I still don't want to spend another #1 on a RB when we already have Maroney. Give me a lower pick or a second tier FA signing instead. Heck, we had Dillon, Maroney and Faulk last year and still didn't run the ball that much after the first few games. Back 8 on defense, baby, back 8 on defense.

He has helped himself but I still don't want to spend another #1 on a RB when we already have Maroney. Give me a lower pick or a second tier FA signing instead. Heck, we had Dillon, Maroney and Faulk last year and still didn't run the ball that much after the first few games. Back 8 on defense, baby, back 8 on defense.

The Pats didn't run the ball that much? Maybe because Maroney was hurt for several games late in the season and Dillon wasn't what he was previously. However, I decided to doo a look to see if you had something.

Here are the number of rushes the Pats made per game from game 9 on.

#9 - Jets - 25
#10 - Green Bay - 40
#11 - Chicago - 34
#12 - Detroit - 24
#13 - Miami - 25 (Maroney out - injured)
#14 - Houston - 38
#15 - Jacksonville - 30 (Maroney back)
#16 - Titans - 31
#17 - Jets - 38
#18 - San Diego - 21
#19 - Indianapolis - 24

Here are the rushes from game #1 - game #8:
#1 Buffalo - 41
#2 Jets - 39
#3 Denver - 21
#4 Cinncinnati - 41
#5 Miami - 34
#6 Buffalo - 27
#7 Minnesota - 15
#8 Indianapolis - 33

It seems that the Patriots used it just as much late (except the play-offs) as they did early.

The Pats didn't run the ball that much?
You're right, we were 6th in the league in rushing attempts and only 12th in the league in passing attempts.

It sure didn't look that way watching the games, though.

You're right, we were 6th in the league in rushing attempts and only 12th in the league in passing attempts.

It sure didn't look that way watching the games, though.
That McDaniels is a sneaky devil fellow.

Let's add 10'2" broad jump and 6.88 3-cone. Not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST