PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How To Own A Sports Team The Right Way

If the Boston area could ever embrace someone like Steinbrenner, it would be in hockey.

More...
I'm sorry he's deceased, but he was a bully to little people and had the luxury of never having to deal with a salary cap. I won't miss him.

The Bruins are basically over the cap and with the salary cap in place can we please just drop the "Jacobs is a cheap ass" routine? It isn't relevant anymore.

I don't think it's quite as simple as saying "owners who either want to win or just make obscene amounts of money", as Bob George does in his column - especially in baseball and specifically with Steinbrenner. Because of the way revenue streams and revenue sharing are set up in MLB it is not a case of either/or; Steinbrenner and the Yankees could outspend anyone and everyone in their quest to win, and yet at the same time still be more profitable than anyone else.

We as sports fans like to paint owners in black and white, as only caring about winning or only caring about profits, but here is a very good example of a gray area in between. If anything the fact Steinbrenner did not take steps similar to Wellington Mara in regards to television revenues and revenue sharing by placing the interests of the league and the sport above his own interests says as much or more about him and his legacy than his committment to winning.

This thread should be merged with the one(s) in the baseball forum if for no other reason than to provide some perspective for those lacking it on this day... At times watching George make grown men in his employ pee was more entertaining than watching the teams he bought periodically self destruct under the weight of their collective talent and his expectations.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back