PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Serious Is The Need To Draft a DB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Yes, we will bring in camp competition in any case. Spann and Richardson wouldn't get a free ride. jag free agents and 5th comps and later draft choices should fill that need.

2) I agree that if the Springs signing is not verified, we should be drafting a corner on Day One out of that sad group. I would think another in the 3rd-4th range would also be necessary if we want to be sure we get one solid player. Domonique Johnson seems like he may be worth a shot at 89 or 99.

3) I agree that if Belichick does not find a solid free agent backup safety, we should be drafting a safety on Day 1, and perhaps another in the 3-4 round range. We could draft another late, but I'm not sure that planning for these long shots affects early round draft strategy much.
======================
I do think that we will be able to do a good job in filling our needs with our 7 top 120 picks. We will also be able to draft a long snapper late, if only for camp competition.

On paper, it's okay. The reality is you have an aging, oft-injured CB who needs to be paced through the season and a 2nd year kid coming off IR. I don't go into this draft looking specifically for a Day One CB, but I don't hesitate to pull the trigger on a CB whose draft score sets him above both the other 2009 draft prospects and the three youngsters currently on roster. I do go into the draft looking for at least one Day Two CB who will primarily play CB, not just a tweener.

Not going into Training Camp, there needs to be some serious competition for those reserve slots - we've seen too many times how critical those players are to the roster. Spann is one of my binkies, a kid I've rooted for since he was signed and sent to NFLE, but he needs to win his slot against quality competition - even more so for the Free Agent.

If the Springs signing falls through, Day One.
If BB is unable to find a decent FA Safety prior to the draft, I may want to draft as many as three Safeties, at least one on Day One. A caveat to this is one of the kids, either day, can be a "tweener."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back