PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Serious Is The Need To Draft a DB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There are many improving youngsters. How much is the need for more youngsters? I presume that we will still sign a couple of free agent veterans (say Bodden and Lew Sanders). Alternatives include Harrison or Tank Williams.

THE NINE MAN SECONDARY
CB: Hobbs, Springs, Wheatley, Wilhite, Bodden/fa
S: Meriweather, J. Sanders, L. Sanders/fa
ST/S: Ventrone

We also have Richardson and Spann who could make the squad as utility players or special teamers.

I think its extremely important to use this draft draft to add youth and depth at CB and S.
There will be some quality players at 34 and 47 and I'm hoping that the secondary is where we invest heavily in round two of the draft.
We do have some youth and speed in the secondary through last years draft. My concern is that, due to injuries, we really don't know what we have with Wheatley and Wilhite. Perhaps its just me but do others on the board feel that the team knows difinitively, what it has in these two players? They have potential and have showed some flashes. No doubt. But so did C Jack.
BY taking the position that we know what we have and are set with these two kids, I think we taking a big risk.
Best Player Available at #23
Secondary help at #34 and #47

Respects

Until I see that Bodden has signed I don't count him. He's not a member of the team.

I believe we need a Strong Safety and a Corner on day one. Now what # slot in the draft BB will go, I have no idea but I assume he does..

In BB I trust.......

I agree that without any more signings, we would need to draft a safety and a corner in the top 100 picks. I agree that neither Bodden nor Lew Sanders is here yet. Heck, Springs isn't here yet. But then, that is not what I'm specualting about. I am presuming that we do indeed sign the three free agents. In that case, I don't a top 100 need in the defensive backfield, especially at corner. However, given our number of picks, and the quality available, I could see us drafting a safety.

Until I see that Bodden has signed I don't count him. He's not a member of the team.

I believe we need a Strong Safety and a Corner on day one. Now what # slot in the draft BB will go, I have no idea but I assume he does..

In BB I trust.......

There is no "need" for a Day One DB, BPV opportunities are another thing.

Drafting S depth on Day Two is a "necessity," the Free Agent class this offseason wasn't very strong and the S class in this draft has some decent depth. There are a few very promising lads with some size, including a couple speedy coverage Linebackers. FS isn't quite so deep in and of itself, but factor in some bigger and less agile CBs and it's not so bad.

Beyond building DB depth, CB & S are primary contributors on Special Teams which will benefit from some younger bodies to throw into crush.

Drafting S depth on Day Two is a "necessity," the Free Agent class this offseason wasn't very strong and the S class in this draft has some decent depth. There are a few very promising lads with some size, including a couple speedy coverage Linebackers. FS isn't quite so deep in and of itself, but factor in some bigger and less agile CBs and it's not so bad.

Beyond building DB depth, CB & S are primary contributors on Special Teams which will benefit from some younger bodies to throw into crush.

If we look at absolutely necessity, than there is none. We are adequate with Hobbs/Springs/Wheatley/Wilhite/Richardson at CB, and Meriweather/Sanders/Spann/Ventrone at S. But if you look beyond that, then there is very great need for at least 1 DB and probably 2, particularly at S where Sanders is better suited as #3 in a 3-man rotation (kind of like Guyton at ILB) than as a full time starter.

I would like to see us spend one of our 4 day one picks on a future starting S opposite Meriweather - whether that is a FS or a SS remains to be seen. Given that Hobbs is a FA after 2009 and Springs is 33, additional depth at CB, whether a FA signing or a draft pick, is also desirable. I don't personally feel that CB is as big a priority as safety, or that it necessarily merits a 1st day pick unless the value is too good to pass up.

I guess that you are proposing that Ventrone be cut for a safety we might draft in the 3rd or 4th round. In the end, I am not really opposed to drafting a backup safety, recognizing that Belichick has likely set his starters for the next three years. As we've discussed many times, there are several value picks in the second. As you indicate here, there are also Day 2 picks. I see about five in the 3-4th round range. Chip Vaughn seems to be the flavor of the day in that range.

My proposed safeties are: Meriweather, Sanders, Sanders, and Ventrone.
====================================

Somewaht more important to me is that once we sign Springs and another mid-level corner (hopefully Bodden), we are all set at corner with: Hobbs, Springs, Bodden/fa, and our developmental corners: Wilhite and Wheatley. Finally, we also have two more camp players who could be make the 53-man roster in case of injury: Richardson and Spann. There is no reason to waste a pick on this slow group of corners when the need is low and there are so many better choice for us on the front seven, the OL, and even at wide receiver.

I guess that you are proposing that Ventrone be cut for a safety we might draft in the 3rd or 4th round.
Get your head out of fantasy and read what I wrote, there was no mention of Ventrone and no effort to forecast the final roster.

While we're on the subject, has there been any word on ERFA tenders?

In the end, I am not really opposed to drafting a backup safety, recognizing that Belichick has likely set his starters for the next three years. As we've discussed many times, there are several value picks in the second. As you indicate here, there are also Day 2 picks. I see about five in the 3-4th round range. Chip Vaughn seems to be the flavor of the day in that range.
Don't overlook at least three LBs who have some speed/quicks and might be decent SS options.

My proposed safeties are: Meriweather, Sanders, Sanders, and Ventrone.
Lew Sanders has been re-signed? Ventrone has been tendered? Why not Slater? What's up with Ventrone at WR?

Somewaht more important to me is that once we sign Springs and another mid-level corner (hopefully Bodden), we are all set at corner with: Hobbs, Springs, Bodden/fa, and our developmental corners: Wilhite and Wheatley. Finally, we also have two more camp players who could be make the 53-man roster in case of injury: Richardson and Spann. There is no reason to waste a pick on this slow group of corners when the need is low and there are so many better choice for us on the front seven, the OL, and even at wide receiver.
- If Springs is signed, fine.
- That Bodden is really beating down the door to sign on.
- Hobbs, and Wilhite finished the season as starters.
- A healthy Wheatley looks capable of beating out Wilhite for the starting job, but it's nice to have competition.
- Richardson did well subbing in for an injured O'Neal and giving Hobbs breathers and he did well on Special Teams.
- Spann is now a FS/ST Ace, I don't see them moving him back to CB except in an extreme emergency.
- If Springs is signed, I'd expect him to be insurance in the event one of the youngsters is unable to nail down the starting job, otherwise his primary duties are Nickel/Dime Back, short yardage/Red Zone assignments, and man assignments should Terrel Owens sign with Buffalo.

Let me try direct questions.

CORNER
Presuming the signing of Springs, are you OK with a roster of Hobbs, Springs, Wilhite, Wheatley and Richardson? Is there are any interest in this position in free agency or the draft, other than for camp competition?

SAFETY
Presuming the signing of a backup free agent safety of the quality of Lew Sanders, are OK with a roster of Meriweather, Sanders, free agent and Spann? Is there are any interest in this position free agancy or the draft, other than for camp competition?

WITH NO SIGNING
How early should we be drafting a corner? My answer is in the 3rd round. Do you agree?
How early should we be drafting a safety? My answer in the 2nd round. Do you agree?

I am really looking for a SS thumper. Rodney seems to think he will play forever but he's essentially through unfortunately....

Patrick Chung fills the bill nicely:cool:

WITH NO SIGNING
How early should we be drafting a corner? My answer is in the 3rd round. Do you agree?
How early should we be drafting a safety? My answer in the 2nd round. Do you agree?

I agree with Safety. Probably with the #34 depending on who is available.

If a CB is drafted it would be for the #6 CB position. I think the 3rd round is too high. We could really take a flyer in the 5th round or after. Someone with upside.

I agree that we don't need to draft competition for the #5 or #6 corner. Springs is now confirmed as signed by many sources. We don't need to draft a corner. And, BTW, we don't have a 5th. We gave it up for Lewis and a 2010 pick.

If a CB is drafted it would be for the #6 CB position. I think the 3rd round is too high. We could really take a flyer in the 5th round or after. Someone with upside.

I agree corner in no longer a big need for us now but I would use a second day pick on Joe Burnett. With the two young kids from last year with Hobbs and Springs I think we are looking good. If Bodden get signed then we might move Springs to Safety and that would change the draft board yet again. The bottom line is how Wheatly and Whilite are going to factor into 2009.

What do you all make of the J Sanders signing, wasn't it for 3 million for 3 years??

Isn't that alot of money for a player of his ranking??

Is that a sign that BB likes him (more than we do)??

It seems like he can not judge how to react to a reciver out in space, in other words he takes the wrong angles on plays, Can that be corrected with coaching??

Or is this signing just in case we can't get the right up-grade on draft day??

I still think it is a need for late day 1 or early day 2.

I love the safety class this year and I want one with either 23 or 34. CB ? Not so sure there is a start right away type out there. I like Butler and Jenkins but I keep wondering about Sean Smith who is projected as CB/S. Not too many players can play both so I'm going to assume he is a safety. I just want to see a bigger guy out there like 6 ft or above who can play the position.

23. Sean Smith
34. Connor Barwin
47. Max Unger
58. Patrick Chung

Calling out specific players, I see a safety being drafted who could backup JSanders as I see LSanders more of a backup for Meriweather. That said, the candidates are William Moore (if he falls into the second round), Patrick Chung, and Chip Vaughn

CB can be any number of players. I'm going to take a player who has the physical tools, but a low grade because of something else that can be fixed. Someone who can grow into the position basically. Some of the candidates are Wopamo Osaisai, Lardarius Webb, DeAngelo Willingham, the list goes on...

CORNER
Presuming the signing of Springs, are you OK with a roster of Hobbs, Springs, Wilhite, Wheatley and Richardson? Is there are any interest in this position in free agency or the draft, other than for camp competition?
As this is the draft forum, I'll respond with that in mind, knowing that FA sometimes alters draft priorities.

Even with Springs on board, I'm not o.k. with the lack of proven playmaking ability from the position -- unless Wheatley produces (as I believe he can). But currently, all we have is competition at LCB, with no cemented starter like we have with Hobbs at RCB. So the question becomes, is BB content enough with the current group if they're ONLY solid players, but lack the Law/Samuel playmaking skills? Does he want to add more ball skills to the position? A potential playmaker? And what about Hobbs in 2010? Would he prefer to risk Hobbs departure and not have a capable starter to plug into that slot? I know I'd feel more secure drafting a CB w/ starting potential this draft, which would also upgrade the entire secondary.

SAFETY
Presuming the signing of a backup free agent safety of the quality of Lew Sanders, are OK with a roster of Meriweather, Sanders, free agent and Spann? Is there are any interest in this position free agancy or the draft, other than for camp competition?
See above regarding playmaker needed.

WITH NO SIGNING
BB's early CB options have been discussed. In an effort to avoid detouring the topic I won't name names, but on my board, I have (4) day one CB prospects (rounds one and two), (1) third-rounder, (1) fifth-rounder, and (2) seventh-rounders. And in my amateur opinion, each fits the Pats profile, but with obvious lesser or greater skills. If this is even fairly accurate, BB should be able to target -- and successfully select his CB of choice.

On my board, I have (6) Safeties (both FS and SS) -- all projected in rounds two through three.

Let me try direct questions.

CORNER
On paper, it's okay. The reality is you have an aging, oft-injured CB who needs to be paced through the season and a 2nd year kid coming off IR. I don't go into this draft looking specifically for a Day One CB, but I don't hesitate to pull the trigger on a CB whose draft score sets him above both the other 2009 draft prospects and the three youngsters currently on roster. I do go into the draft looking for at least one Day Two CB who will primarily play CB, not just a tweener.

SAFETY
Not going into Training Camp, there needs to be some serious competition for those reserve slots - we've seen too many times how critical those players are to the roster. Spann is one of my binkies, a kid I've rooted for since he was signed and sent to NFLE, but he needs to win his slot against quality competition - even more so for the Free Agent.

WITH NO SIGNING
If the Springs signing falls through, Day One.
If BB is unable to find a decent FA Safety prior to the draft, I may want to draft as many as three Safeties, at least one on Day One. A caveat to this is one of the kids, either day, can be a "tweener."

sean smith is gonna be awesome. hopefully he will be starting at Safety for us by week 8

Bodden DOES NOT count until he signs. There hasn't even been a single rumor to indicate that he intends to do so. Besides if you were BB would you rather pay Bodden 7M per year or draft a CB in the 2nd round and pay that salary slot? I think it's a nobrainer. This team values its cap space. It was going to be either Springs or Bodden, not both. After I heard the contract that Springs got - up to 12.8M/3 years, I concluded that we were done at CB as far as free agency goes. The same applies to Safety where we resigned Sanders for 9M/3 years. I expect two DBs in the draft - a Corner and a Safety. Or maybe a hybrid CB/S ie Sean Smith.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back