PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We seem all but set in the secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still want to upgrade corner depth. I'd be fine if the 3rd and 4th corner arent even on the roster yet, and less fine if they are.

The secondary is set. Excellent depth at both corner and safety, time to focus on that front 7

With the way the Patriots went after Chung, I expect him to be our best safety in two years. I expect him to be a star.

Seriously, it's like the Patriots thought this kid was going to be great. I hold out hope for him.

I have a feeling we might address WR/RB needs with our first, and our seconds will be used on defensive front seven.

Unless Dez Bryant falls, this isn't likely. Other than Golden Tate, there is no one in the 22 range that we could draft. And I don't think you pass on guys like Graham and Odrick for a player like Tate, not when the draft is loaded with quality WRs.

I'm one of the big proponents on drafting WRs (at least 2) in the draft, and even I would not complain if the first guy we picked was Mardy Gilyard in the 3rd round. I'd be fine with him and a developmental kid like Easley later on.

WR crop is weak in this draft imo.. the only RB I would take is Spiller.. if he is there.. they will take him no doubt!..

I don't see them spending pics on a position (TE) that is quite obvious not a priority in this new version of our offense.

Now there WR pick in 2011 is looking great as there are some STUDS coming out next year and we WILL have a top 5 pick.

Wow, this is the strongest WR draft in eons. You have 220 pound studs running a sub-4.4 40 going in the late rounds. Jacoby Ford, any other year, teams would be salivating for this kid in the first two rounds.
Put it this way: Darrius Heyward-Bey would be lucky to land prior to the third round in this year's draft. There are plenty of kids with his strength and speed. When I see Mardy Gilyard projected for the 3rd and 4th round, that tells me this is one of the deepest WR drafts in a long time.

Absurd?

Right because ninkovinch, mckenzie, Pryor and Brace all have 0 chance to contribute. If Burgess re-signs, he's guaranteed not to improve his 2nd year in the system. Mayo's injury had nothing to do with his struggles. Guyton has no room to improve going into his 3rd year. And nothing except an "incredible" talent in the draft will help.

I'm not even suggesting that they shouldn't add to the front 7, but your statement was just a little over the top.

It probably was over the top but I think saying the secondary is pretty much set is a bit over the top. I think the defense last year was just plain bad. It can improve, and it showed glimmers of hope but as a unit they were not impressive. Every team we played with a legitimate QB shredded the Pats and I think our defensive rankings were a little skewed.

All I'm really trying to say is that we have a defense that is set, but there is a lot of room for improvement. I don't even mean to be the best defense in the league, I just mean to even be considered a good defense.

I'd also like to draft a RB like Dwyer to pair with LoMo, since neither Morris nor Taylor can be counted on to stay healthy.

Dwyer was kind of dissed after the combine.

One evaluation: "RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech*
Dwyer cut nearly 20 pounds after playing this season around 250, but the rapid weight loss was noticeable in his Combine appearance. He carried a lot of extra flesh, showing little to no muscle definition, and his speed did not improve, as he barely cracked the 4.6 mark. Having played in a triple-option offense where he was utilized similarly to a traditional fullback, Dwyer had enough questions to answer about how his skills would translate to a pro-style offense. Now he has evaluators left wondering if he might not be best in the pros as an athletic fullback. With former Yellow Jackets coach Chan Gailey having said that Dwyer's weight has fluctuated greatly dating back to high school, executives are only left to wonder what weight he will show up at in a training camp after a big payday. The fourth-round grade some evaluators stamped on him, based on tape evaluations, now does not look far from reality."

Was Butler not a member of the team last year? Was he injured?

if he's so much butter than Wilhite why wasn't he out there instead of him?

If Ty Law was so much better than Ricky Reynolds then why didn't he play more?

If Asante Samuel was so much better than Tyrone Poole, then why didn't he play more?

I still want to upgrade corner depth. I'd be fine if the 3rd and 4th corner arent even on the roster yet, and less fine if they are.

Wilhite is an entirely acceptable third CB.

Dwyer was kind of dissed after the combine.

One evaluation: "RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech*
Dwyer cut nearly 20 pounds after playing this season around 250, but the rapid weight loss was noticeable in his Combine appearance. He carried a lot of extra flesh, showing little to no muscle definition, and his speed did not improve, as he barely cracked the 4.6 mark. Having played in a triple-option offense where he was utilized similarly to a traditional fullback, Dwyer had enough questions to answer about how his skills would translate to a pro-style offense. Now he has evaluators left wondering if he might not be best in the pros as an athletic fullback. With former Yellow Jackets coach Chan Gailey having said that Dwyer's weight has fluctuated greatly dating back to high school, executives are only left to wonder what weight he will show up at in a training camp after a big payday. The fourth-round grade some evaluators stamped on him, based on tape evaluations, now does not look far from reality."

I'll admit to not following the prospects that closely this year.

Basically any RB with some "heft" would do as a complement to Maroney.

It probably was over the top but I think saying the secondary is pretty much set is a bit over the top.

The secondary IS pretty much set though.

I think the defense last year was just plain bad. It can improve, and it showed glimmers of hope but as a unit they were not impressive. Every team we played with a legitimate QB shredded the Pats and I think our defensive rankings were a little skewed.

The completion % from the secondary was pretty good even with a non-existent pass rush. The defense as a whole was not very good and the secondary had some communication issues, but this thread never stated the defense is all set, only the secondary. Front 7 deserves a lot more attention.

All I'm really trying to say is that we have a defense that is set, but there is a lot of room for improvement. I don't even mean to be the best defense in the league, I just mean to even be considered a good defense.

I agree, but that's the defense as a whole. Need to focus on the front 7 to become a solid defense next season.

Last edited:
I agree, but that's the defense as a whole. Need to focus on the front 7 to become a solid defense next season.

Perhaps

When someone says anything about our secondary though I just see Drew Brees blindfolded throwing TD passes and laughing at our attempts to defend his offense.

Hopefully they can find a pass rusher and hopefully that takes enough pressure off the DBs to make them look respectable

Also this gives this unit a real chance to gel and to be used in multiple packages.. this is going to be a really strong unit in 2010 and beyond.

I expect BB to go after the front 7 big time in the draft.. w/ those top 4 picks.

Yeah, if there's a monster out there that can play3-4 DE.......Is there someone out there in the draft, or can Pryor or Brace be that guy? I like Wright but see him as quality depth.

Yeah, if there's a monster out there that can play3-4 DE.......Is there someone out there in the draft, or can Pryor or Brace be that guy? I like Wright but see him as quality depth.

This years draft is LOADED on the front 7.. as well as saftey and O-Line.. we are all set in those two areas for the most part. So I think you are seeing the FO set themselves up to focus on that depth of talent on the D-Line and OLB types.

I'd' like them to draft someone bigger to take mcgowan's spot......mcgowan stinks in the passing game, and the few hits he provided aren't' worth it

and find a more athletic vet to replace springs for less $$

Last edited:
This years draft is LOADED on the front 7.. as well as saftey and O-Line.. we are all set in those two areas for the most part. So I think you are seeing the FO set themselves up to focus on that depth of talent on the D-Line and OLB types.

It's still unclear to me regarding which direction Bodden is leaning, but I could not agree more. 3-4 DE and OLB. Wash, rinse, dry. Repeat.

I think it's about time the Pats start using top picks on skill players on offense. The defense has been afforded almost all of the top pick attention the last several years. Time to inject some talent on the other side now.

I think it's about time the Pats start using top picks on skill players on offense. The defense has been afforded almost all of the top pick attention the last several years. Time to inject some talent on the other side now.

That tends to be the place you get the least bang for your buck draft wise. Too many offensive skill players are boom/bust/shortlived. Hell, half the JAG WR's we audition annually are someone else's 1st and 2nd round draft busts. By and large the battles are won on the LOS and for some reason those players tend to translate better from college to pros and often remain productive for longer. RB and WR even if you hit on them are often toast following an injury or two. Not to mention QB is an annual crap shoot and we've mined some gems at the tail end of the draft...

I think this year a good secondary will become a very good secondary. Bodden was our best corner last year, this year I believe Butler will make the jump and push Bodden to the second spot.

I also expect Chung to really step up his game this year. If you can get Chung and Meriweather back there you have a lot of athletecism to cover the entire field.

Of all the 2nd round picks from last year there is only one player I'm expecting nothing out of and that's Brace (which kills me to say because I'm a BC grad).

That tends to be the place you get the least bang for your buck draft wise. Too many offensive skill players are boom/bust/shortlived. Hell, half the JAG WR's we audition annually are someone else's 1st and 2nd round draft busts. By and large the battles are won on the LOS and for some reason those players tend to translate better from college to pros and often remain productive for longer. RB and WR even if you hit on them are often toast following an injury or two. Not to mention QB is an annual crap shoot and we've mined some gems at the tail end of the draft...
No matter the position it's imperative that the proper player is picked. Ditto of skill players on offense.

Oodles of teams have gotten tremendous bang for the buck by taking skill players on offense early in the draft. Names such as C Johnson, A Peterson, R Brown, P Harvin, L Fitzgerald, R White, L Evans, A Johnson, on and on. These guys are impact players for their teams. No reason why the Pats brass can't get such players. But they won't if they don't bother drafting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back