PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We seem all but set in the secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps

When someone says anything about our secondary though I just see Drew Brees blindfolded throwing TD passes and laughing at our attempts to defend his offense.

Hopefully they can find a pass rusher and hopefully that takes enough pressure off the DBs to make them look respectable

Brees had a ton of time to throw, because our front seven had trouble getting pressure all season. Give Brees time in the pocket, and just like Manning or Brady, there's no secondary in the league that can defend him. Brees did that to a lot of secondaries last year.

I think the point is that, with Bodden, we have a secondary without any holes. That allows us flexibility to focus on improving the front seven, and only taking a DB if someone with great value falls in our lap. That's a fairly good place to be.

No matter the position it's imperative that the proper player is picked. Ditto of skill players on offense.

Oodles of teams have gotten tremendous bang for the buck by taking skill players on offense early in the draft. Names such as C Johnson, A Peterson, R Brown, P Harvin, L Fitzgerald, R White, L Evans, A Johnson, on and on. These guys are impact players for their teams. No reason why the Pats brass can't get such players. But they won't if they don't bother drafting one.

Unfortunately.. there are not that many of those kinds of players and certainly not where the pats are picking.. but there are tons of Legit Front 7 guys that will contribute..

I still want to upgrade corner depth. I'd be fine if the 3rd and 4th corner arent even on the roster yet, and less fine if they are.

Agreed. Any secondary with Wilhite in it is not "all but set," IMO.

Agreed. Any secondary with Wilhite in it is not "all but set," IMO.

Wilhite should do less damage as our nickelback, but it would be nice to get someone to bump him to dime back. :)
Wait a minute, isn't that Shawn Springs? (When healthy).

Last edited:
Hopefully the Bodden signing will be final in the morning.

Then we can settle down with our secondary all but set with
CB: Bodden, Butler, Springs, Wilhite, Wheatley
S: Meriweather, Sanders, Chung, McGowan
DB/ST: Arrington/Lockett

There is always room for an upgrade if a free agent or draftee is there for us, but there is no need.

If you have Wilhite & Wheatley as 40% of your CB rotation, then you have a need. Maybe not a 1st-round need (unless Joe Haden falls to 22), or even a 2nd-round need (unless Kyle Wilson drops to 44 or Devin McCourty to 53), but a need nonetheless. I shudder to think of our CB situation if Bodden weren't re-signed.

As long as our 2nd-round need at WR is satisfied, then I wouldn't mind seeing our 4th-rounder used on one of Owusu-Ansah, Jerome Murphy, Javier Arenas or Amari Spievey. And I also wouldn't mind if Donovan Warren, Myron Lewis or David Pender were signed as a UDFA.

I have no problem with a late round draftee (4th or later) at corner to compete with Wheatley and Arrington for the #5 CB spot. I also expect a JAG free agent or two for camp.

BTW, If Bodden is injured, the starters are Bidden and Springs.

But a competitor for the #5 corner position is hardly a need. In the past , there were years where we didn't even carry five corners.

If you have Wilhite & Wheatley as 40% of your CB rotation, then you have a need. Maybe not a 1st-round need (unless Joe Haden falls to 22), or even a 2nd-round need (unless Kyle Wilson drops to 44 or Devin McCourty to 53), but a need nonetheless. I shudder to think of our CB situation if Bodden weren't re-signed.

As long as our 2nd-round need at WR is satisfied, then I wouldn't mind seeing our 4th-rounder used on one of Owusu-Ansah, Jerome Murphy, Javier Arenas or Amari Spievey. And I also wouldn't mind if Donovan Warren, Myron Lewis or David Pender were signed as a UDFA.

I would not be surprised to see BB add SS Woodall of Alabama as a 7th rounder or UDFA.

He knows our defense and he plays special teams.

If you have Wilhite & Wheatley as 40% of your CB rotation, then you have a need.

Yes. And Springs? Why is he even still here? That guy is not a good fit.

I saw the title to this thread and thought it was a jest.

Last edited:
Unfortunately.. there are not that many of those kinds of players and certainly not where the pats are picking.. but there are tons of Legit Front 7 guys that will contribute..
Only need one and, it appears as though their are several possible candidates (ie Spiller, Benn, Tate, Matthews as quick examples) that could fill the bill. Maybe even a trade-up for someone like Bryant if it's deemed worthy.

My point is ....... I would hope this team doesn't shy away from using an early pick on an offensive player because such players "bust out" more.

Further, the early picks, of the last several Pats drafts, have been spent exclusively on acquiring defensive talent. It's about time they spend some early picks adding top talent on offense because, right now, much of the top talent on offense is ....... aged.

Last edited:
I don't get all the hate for wheatly or wilhite, one of the guys was getting
picked on becuz bodden was playing very well, and they were usually alwys in
position just didn't get to the ball, I had rather have that rather than Hobbs
who leaves ppl wide open

I would hope this team doesn't shy away from using an early pick on an offensive player because such players "bust out" more.

Further, the early picks, of the last several Pats drafts, have been spent exclusively on acquiring defensive talent. It's about time they spend some early picks adding top talent on offense because, right now, much of the top talent on offense is ....... aged.

*cough* Maroney, Chad Jackson, Watson *cough*

Last edited:
I think wilhite's problem can be fixed.

I don't understand these threads

the secondary isn't any different than it was last year and it wasn't very good then

With resigning of Bodden all we did was get back a player we already had......

Posts like this make me scratch my head. No disrespect, but some of you don't realize that the secondary, no, the whole defense was pretty much brand new last season with the key losses and the additions. At times, they showed that they can be a really good unit and, statistically, they actually were a very solid group.

By retaining Bodden, Banta-Cain, Wilfork ("you only re-signed the players you already had"), you're getting a group that has played a whole year together and should have more trust in and a better feel for one another. They'll be more comfortable in the various schemes and BB will be calling the shots. I, for one, expect huge strides to be made with this unit. Butler and Chung are both a year older, Banta-Cain should perform well, Vince and Bodden are happy, and Meriweather should continue his ascension. I'm encouraged.

Posts like this make me scratch my head. No disrespect, but some of you don't realize that the secondary, no, the whole defense was pretty much brand new last season with the key losses and the additions. At times, they showed that they can be a really good unit and, statistically, they actually were a very solid group.

By retaining Bodden, Banta-Cain, Wilfork ("you only re-signed the players you already had"), you're getting a group that has played a whole year together and should have more trust in and a better feel for one another. They'll be more comfortable in the various schemes and BB will be calling the shots. I, for one, expect huge strides to be made with this unit. Butler and Chung are both a year older, Banta-Cain should perform well, Vince and Bodden are happy, and Meriweather should continue his ascension. I'm encouraged.

I'm not......as long as you don't have a pass rush, it won't matter who you have in the secondary.

I'm not......as long as you don't have a pass rush, it won't matter who you have in the secondary.

Well, you're entitled to feeling discouraged. We haven't even had the draft yet and people are already starting with the doom-and-gloom. You all can have that. I'll wait patiently for things to fall where they may.

Well, you're entitled to feeling discouraged. We haven't even had the draft yet and people are already starting with the doom-and-gloom. You all can have that. I'll wait patiently for things to fall where they may.

hardly discouraged........it is what it is.......i've had fun during 2-14 years

still does not escape the obvious problems of the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back