PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We seem all but set in the secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really know where the talent is in the draft, but my ideal scenario would have 3 of the top 4 going to the front 7, and the 4th to a WR.

It is difficult to replace Welker's production for the 2010 season with a 2011 draftee.

I don't know who Belichick will get. I except one high profile and 1-2 lower profile receivers to be signed. My choice is Mason, although Josh Reed is an OK choice, and there are others.

Who do you think that we'd acquire in FA for WR?

Think we would get our #1WR in the draft next season [possibly with our Raiders pick?]

I don't really know where the talent is in the draft, but my ideal scenario would have 3 of the top 4 going to the front 7, and the 4th to a WR.

I'd also like to draft a RB like Dwyer to pair with LoMo, since neither Morris nor Taylor can be counted on to stay healthy.

It is difficult to replace Welker's production for the 2010 season with a 2011 draftee.

I don't know who Belichick will get. I except one high profile and 1-2 lower profile receivers to be signed. My choice is Mason, although Josh Reed is an OK choice, and there are others.

Agreed I don't think BB is done .. and I think there will be some team cuts that will open up some opportunities for WR from other teams. .. hint hint maybe Branch..

Agreed I don't think BB is done .. and I think there will be some team cuts that will open up some opportunities for WR from other teams. .. hint hint maybe Branch..

I'd like us to get a young receiver, whoever it is. Preferably one that isn't a headcase. Although receivers tend to be head cases, over other positions. Don't really understand that.

I would like to see Springs get released

Yeah, can we do that and save money? You never know with cap factors. He's way more money than we need for as little as we need him. Pick up a cheap tall CB that's over the hill for special situations like Chad Scott's role.

I expect us to meet the WR in free agency. I would be fine with Spiller at 22.

2 days ago I would have said no way Spiller at 22. But it's starting to make a lot of sense. (call me dense) He's the most explosive offensive player this side of Chris Johnson and is capable taking it to the house every touch he gets. There's plenty of depth at DE/DT and a great player can be had in the 2nd rnd along with a great WR such as Gilyard, Thomas (due to injury), Benn or Taylor Price in rnd 4. Good depth there too. Take an OLB or CB or OL with the other 2nd, and Pats are Golden!
Liking this!

I would be shocked if Spiller fell all the way to 22. Truly shocked.

In any case when Bodden re-signs our starting secondary is pretty much set. We might want to try a mid round pick on a corner to develop with an eye for the future in case of injury, or whatnot. Other than that, this group looks strong. Now we just need some PASS RUSH!

I don't understand these threads

the secondary isn't any different than it was last year and it wasn't very good then

With resigning of Bodden all we did was get back a player we already had......

I don't understand these threads

the secondary isn't any different than it was last year and it wasn't very good then

With resigning of Bodden all we did was get back a player we already had......

Our secondary was alright last year, the hope of mine and a few other people is that with some pass rushers they might go from alright to above average.

Our front seven's play was so terrible last year against the pass, although the secondary shoulders some of the blame of course.

Last edited:
Our secondary was alright last year, the hope of mine and a few other people is that with some pass rushers they might go from alright to above average.

Our front seven's play was so terrible last year against the pass, although the secondary shoulders some of the blame of course.

Unless we get some incredible talent in the draft or somehow mange to find a pass rusher in FA I don't see why the front 7 would be any better.

There are no new additions to this team so expecting them to be anything but mediocre like last year is absurd

Wilhite was being picked on a lot in 2009. Hopefully Butler takes away the starting job from him in TC so we'll have Bodden+Butler as our starting corners in 2010. That should help the secondary a lot. And of course, we still need a PASS RUSH. The secondary can't cover forever.

Last edited:
Wilhite was being picked on a lot in 2009. Hopefully Butler takes away the starting job from him in TC so we'll have Bodden+Butler as our starting corners in 2010. That should help the secondary a lot.

Was Butler not a member of the team last year? Was he injured?

if he's so much butter than Wilhite why wasn't he out there instead of him?

Was Butler not a member of the team last year? Was he injured?

if he's so much butter than Wilhite why wasn't he out there instead of him?

He was in the Miami game, plus some others.

Unless we get some incredible talent in the draft or somehow mange to find a pass rusher in FA I don't see why the front 7 would be any better.

There are no new additions to this team so expecting them to be anything but mediocre like last year is absurd

We have the potential to draft a decent pass rusher, although we'll see if that actually happens.

Last edited:

Yup, he was in a few games and he looked like a ballhawk in general, deflecting some passes, etc. If you look at Meriweather's progression, it took a while for him to become a full time starter, but once he did, he really progressed. With another year's experience under his belt and a second full TC, I expect Butler to take off in 2010.

Absurd?

Right because ninkovinch, mckenzie, Pryor and Brace all have 0 chance to contribute. If Burgess re-signs, he's guaranteed not to improve his 2nd year in the system. Mayo's injury had nothing to do with his struggles. Guyton has no room to improve going into his 3rd year. And nothing except an "incredible" talent in the draft will help.

I'm not even suggesting that they shouldn't add to the front 7, but your statement was just a little over the top.

Last edited:
I like Meriweather better at FS and think he would excel in that role. I fully expect Meriweather to be moved to FS this year and Chung slotted in at SS if BB feels he is ready. Sanders is a nice backup to have but he is a overpaid. Hopefully McGowan can regain some of that early 09 form that he had.

At CB, I've never been the biggest Bodden fan, but he's a solid player and it's nice to have him back. Love the upside of both Butler and Wilhite. Yes I did say Wilhite :p

I love Arrington for ST purposes and I want to keep Springs around. It's always good to have a savvy vet like that for depth and to help in the development of Butler and Wilhite. Hopefully Wheatley steps up his game. If so, we're looking good at the back end of the defense.

I think his best work was in the RS Balt game where he demonstrated athletic prowess and good anticipation. I remember a play where, while backpedaling he stop, jumped up and reached over Mason, in front of him, (?) and batted away a pass.

Sorry, but like the offense, this defense isn't "set", especially in the secondary. No team is ever set at any position other than QB.

- If the Pats re-signed Bodden, it's a good start.

- Can Butler become a solid starter in year 2? He better.

- Asante Samuel wasn't any good until his third season (2nd season as a starter). Hopefully Wilhite can make the same progress.

- Is Merriweather a FS or a SS? I think he's playing out of position at SS where he has worn down the past couple of seasons. He's not a very good tackler and he would be best used as a FS that plays more of "roamer" or "center fielder" position.

- Pat Chung needs to step up his game and become the starter at SS.

- Wouldn't surprise me if Wheatley is cut during camp. That guy is a joke.

I can see the Pats draft one more CB anywhere from rounds 1-3 to push Wheatley and ultimately beat him out in training camp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back