PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How great would it be for this D if Hobbs steps up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelizePats

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Think about how much our D would benefit if Hobbs had a bit of a break out year. That he stays healthy all year, maybe 6-7 picks and a few less burned deep plays. It was only a couple of years ago the Assante broke through.
This would be huge for us!

I don't know about the picks, but if we get Tyrone Poole out of Ellis Hobbs I'm happy.

The unfortunate thing about our corners is we really don't know what we have on EITHER side. If Hobbs breaks out, we still have to wonder if Wheatley, Bryant, Sanders, etc can hold down the fort on the other side.

We're going to know a lot better in a few weeks.

I like Hobbs, but I don't think he intimidates the opposition.

Few teams have difference makers at the corner position. The Giants just won the SB without one. In fact, without looking it up, I honestly don't know who either of their starting CBs are.

Do you?

Hobbs will outperform DeAngelo Hall this year.

He will be fine...I really think he will be OK..

Let's start another bash Hobbs thread. after that let's bash CJ. and it's been a while since we criticized Matt Light... maybe that's why he's not playing right now.

Hobbs is a solid corner who could start on most teams. He's not the best ever, but he is better than most. I'm not going to complain. It could be a lot worse.

In training camp, Hobbs was by far the best looking cover corner. He stuck with his man like a fat kid sticks to a leather couch. The other corners were okay at times, but they let their receivers get open too.

I will take what Hobbs did in 2007 out of any starting corner, any season. Especially on this team, where we only lose if a severe liability is exploited. Hobbs is far from a liability.

Define Hobbs stepping up...

Hobbs has been the best cornerback on the New England Patriots since taking over for Duane Starks. By stepping up, do you mean getting some of those INTs that show up so well on the stat sheet?

Of course we could just go another year with blaming Hobbs for every completion anywhere on the field at any time, that's always fun.

Let's start another bash Hobbs thread. after that let's bash CJ. and it's been a while since we criticized Matt Light... maybe that's why he's not playing right now.

I don't think this was intended as a bash Hobbs thread. I think it was meant to show where this defense could go with the 3 All-Pro DL we have, plus a LB corp made up of great veterans and talented youth, and THEN instead of getting what we've seen from Hobbs thus far we get a Samuel-esque breakout year.

I'm rather optimistic if that happens ;)

I don't think this was intended as a bash Hobbs thread. I think it was meant to show where this defense could go with the 3 All-Pro DL we have, plus a LB corp made up of great veterans and talented youth, and THEN instead of getting what we've seen from Hobbs thus far we get a Samuel-esque breakout year.

I'm rather optimistic if that happens ;)

true. i jumped to conclusions. could it be because of the zone coverage they played last year and will changing that up make him more productive. and will he be 100% healthy?

Hobbs is a solid corner who could start on most teams. He's not the best ever, but he is better than most. I'm not going to complain. It could be a lot worse.

I disagree. He couldn't start on most teams. He could start on about half the teams. He is not better than most. I agree it could be a lot worse, though.

I disagree. He couldn't start on most teams. He could start on about half the teams. He is not better than most. I agree it could be a lot worse, though.

I disagree 100%. Hobbs is better than Asante Samuel... OK there I said it, again.

As the creator of this thread, I find it incredible that anyone would assert that this is a bash Hobbs thread. I don't believe I have ever posted a negative thread bashing anyone, other than Bobby Greir. And I will always do that, for obvious reasons.
What I'm saying is that if Hobbs were to have a breakouit year, that it would have such a posative impact on the overall team D. Staying healthy is a big part of this!
For anyone to claim that Hobbs has been a better corner than Assante the last two years is just plain crazy.

true. i jumped to conclusions. could it be because of the zone coverage they played last year and will changing that up make him more productive. and will he be 100% healthy?

That's the big thing for me. If he's healthy, I think he'll be fine. I'm interested to see how things change for the whole secondary with Capers around.

I know it was the first preseason game so everything was going to be a little vanilla, but I didn't see much difference scheme wise than I saw last year. What I did see though, was more speed on defense resulting in faster recoveries from mistakes / lapses in coverage.

I do think that part of why they played zone coverage last year is because Hobbs is not a shutdown man-to-man corner, and because it catered to Samuel's strength which was jumping routes.

OK than maybe we should test this out. Name 16 teams he would not be a starter on?

I am confident you wont come up with 16 and in fact the number of teams he would be the number 1 corner on might be more than the number of teams he wouldn't be a starter on but I haven't thought that thru enough yet.

I have high expectations for Hobbs. He will move back to the left CB spot which he always seemed to be more comfortable with. I also assume with Capers here, he will get more opportunities to be more aggressive in his coverages which hasn't been the case in the last two years partly because they were playing to Samuels' strengths which was more zone coverages.

Hobbs may not come through as I hope, but I remain optimisitic. Remember that Samuel was a JAG until his fourth year with the Patriots and then he exploded. Maybe the same will happen with Hobbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes