PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How good is our run defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait till Adrian Peterson comes to Foxboro. Arguably the best RB in NFL...
Maybe he'll have a day like Chris Johnson, arguably the best RB in the NFL did when he came to Foxboro eleven months ago.

Maybe he'll have a day like Chris Johnson, arguably the best RB in the NFL did when he came to Foxboro eleven months ago.

Chris Johnson a long with the rest of the Titans looked like they not only had never played in snow before but had no idea what snow was.

Chris Johnson a long with the rest of the Titans looked like they not only had never played in snow before but had no idea what snow was.

Absolutely not. CJ was the only one who showed up on the Titans that day.

Attepmpts:17 Yards:128 YPC:7.5

Absolutely not. CJ was the only one who showed up on the Titans that day.

Attepmpts:17 Yards:128 YPC:7.5

Yikes.

Ninkovich will be having kittens right about now just thinking about it.

It's not good and it's the single most serious problem with this defense.

The run defense is a question mark at this point. I thought it was pretty good last year until the end. I think it will be fine this year once Brace and G. Warren figure things out. I see Spikes, at least, making some plays on early downs.

The Baltimore running game is top 3. Even with Rice doubtful, I'd still say that its a top 5 in the NFL as they still have the powerful O line and a powerful-hardhitting RB in their locker.

So... da Browns and Peyton Hill would now like to enter this discussion.

The tactics which we used to stifle strong teams against the run *ie Wilfork at end, inside press, etc. didnt work.

What now_

So... da Browns and Peyton Hill would now like to enter this discussion.

The tactics which we used to stifle strong teams against the run *ie Wilfork at end, inside press, etc. didnt work.

What now_

They've worked all season, hence our record. Unfortunately, moving one guy around means you're running a gimmick and teams might counter what you're doing.

OK if it works, I recall a much worse Colts Run D that slapped it together for a SB run. We'll have to rely on scheming until we can draft another dominant DLineman or two.

We've run the 3-4 with worse personnel, it's just that wilfork is head and shoulders above the rest in experience and talent/physicality.

We've got some decent second tier linemen IMO.

What does this mean?

Do you mean that the run defense hasn't been bad enough to cost us more than two games?

They've worked all season, hence our record.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question - If the Browns were double teaming Wilfork and Mayo, we have 2 extra defenders. Why couldn't we stop their 3rd downs in key situations or hit their QB once in a while?

Deus has been trying to get this point across, seemingly for weeks and weeks.

Our run defense is weak on TALENT. We miss Ty Warren. We needed a replacement for Seymour and even Green.

Spikes was going to be the answer to all our run defense woes. He is a rookie, learning the game. He has done very well. As we know, it is extremely difficult for a rookie to effective in the front seven of a Belichick defense.

Question - If the Browns were double teaming Wilfork and Mayo, we have 2 extra defenders. Why couldn't we stop their 3rd downs in key situations or hit their QB once in a while?

Last edited:
Deus has been trying to get this point across, seemingly for weeks and weeks.

Our run defense is weak on TALENT. We miss Ty Warren. We needed a replacement for Seymour and even Green.

Spikes was going to be the answer to all our run defense woes. He is a rookie, learning the game. He has done very well. As we know, it is extremely difficult for a rookie to effective in the front seven of a Belichick defense.

And don't forget someone who can seal the edge and a couple guys who can rush the QB (like Seymour and Vrabel used to).

I agree that we are lacking OLB's who can seasl the edge.

I somewhat disagree with regard to passrushers. I think that we overemphasize the role. I think that if we take care of the run well, the passrush will come.

Wright and Banta-Cain can both rush the quarterback. Warren can also.

Would we like to add a premier passrusher to the team. Sure! So would everyone else in the league.

Belichick chose to send Seymour packing, do without a premier DE for two seasons, and HOPE that his replacement will replace his production in 2011.

And don't forget someone who can seal the edge and a couple guys who can rush the QB (like Seymour and Vrabel used to).

Belichick chose to send Seymour packing, do without a premier DE for two seasons, and HOPE that his replacement will replace his production in 2011.

I seriously doubt that is how it went down. He valued the 2011 1st over Seymour for 1 year. He didn't go into 2009 with the intent to replace Seymour in 2011. A healthy Ty Warren would have made a lot of difference in 2010.

as long as opposing QB's have nothing to fear and guys like mccoy can throw at will, the run defense will suffer as a result.

but we knew that already.

the run defense is good enough if the offense does something to limit the amount of time the defense has to spend on the field.

the browns had the ball for 38 minutes........the offense simply needs to step up and reduce the 3 and outs.

given the obvious problems at the skill positions for the pats offense, the only real answer now is to go no-huddle for the rest of the season. it seems to be the only thing that works with any consistency

What does this mean?

Do you mean that the run defense hasn't been bad enough to cost us more than two games?

They've worked all season, hence our record.

I mean moving Wilfork around and using different personnel has worked.

It will never work as well as having three 1st round all pro types, because an offense can't game plan to exploit a weakness in the scheme, because there isn't any. The only way to exploit a healthy Seymour Wilfork Warren line is to prepare to have your head kicked in and have a long day.

Mangini obviously studied what we were doing and looked to neutralize Wilfork and Mayo and it worked.

What does this mean?

I mean moving Wilfork around and using different personnel has worked.

It will never work as well as having three 1st round all pro types, because an offense can't game plan to exploit a weakness in the scheme, because there isn't any. The only way to exploit a healthy Seymour Wilfork Warren line is to prepare to have your head kicked in and have a long day.

Mangini obviously studied what we were doing and looked to neutralize Wilfork and Mayo and it worked.

Which is probably what the Steelers will be doing this weekend.

What frightens me is that the Pats seem to do badly against "Power" or "Bull Runners". The Pats are likely to see a lot of smashmouth over the top of them.

Which makes me ask the question... would you play more 4-3 against Pitts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft