PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How does Michael Smith have a job??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean Pa Patriot said:
Mike Smith cant hold a candle to the likes of Adam Schefter, Chirs Mortenson, and Mike Holley....

Schefter sucks Bronco *****, and sounds like Suzy Kolber to boot.
I love NFL Network, but that guy's gotta go.

Mortensen is a tool, as well.

I like Smith and Holley, but, IMHO, Reiss is the best local guy (Solomon a close second), and Pasquarelli the best nationally.

Espn Rant

I'm so sick of ESPN...I'm definitely tuning into NFLN this weekend.

forget about the "scoops"...99% of all scoops occur because people want journalists to know something, not because they have special investigative prowess or know people who owe them favors.

After watching tonight, Wingo is just phenomenal...somehow holds that circus together and clearly knows way more about the history of the game than Salisbury. If something happened prior to 1983, Salisbury has no clue...unlike Smith, Salisbury actually has a football background, and yet he still sucks.

Hoge's voice and hair are pretty scary...but I totally agree with him on VY being a third rounder. These top-3 QBs suck. it's all hype The top-2 last year sucked. I still say Rivers is better than Ben, and Drew "can't win close games" Brees. These ESPN morons have signed SD's death sentence. The reality is Brees was 0-1 in playoffs for 4 years on a solid team but somehow became "the ultimate franchise QB" on his way out the door.

espn is style over sub...and all these guys about to make $10M guaranteed before they take a single snap can kiss espn's corporate ass. People who are comparing Reggie Bush to Gale Sayers are in for a surprise. He gets out to the second level against Fresno State, but where was he in the last 2 bowl games?...two yards for the National Championship and he's not even on the field???...how exactly does that project?

instead of a highlight reel, show me some lowlights too.

instead of stats, show me how they handle situations.

instead of combine scores, show me football skills.

instead of a 40 time, show me a back with moves and vision who can break a tackle or deliver in short yardage, a receiver who consistently gets separation and runs routes efficiently, or a backer who anticipates plays before they develop.

don't tell me how high a corner can jump, show me how they time-up a jump on the field.

Hoge can at least break down film and do some actual analysis. Smith would be out of his element. Smith has to go with the front office spin, rather than his own educated evaluation.

IMO, Smith's rise to prominence is another byproduct of the sabermetrics culture -- you no longer need a sports background or any actual experience to be considered an "expert." Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Smith is a basement-dwelling sabergeek who pretends sports exist in a spreadsheet -- you know, the Aaron Schatz types who aren't detered from ****ting on the word "clutch" even though every player in sports history disagrees with them.

Smith gets cred from this culture -- it's why all these baseball GMs are 16 years old -- experience is suddenly overrated in the scouting/journalist community -- eventually the pendulum will swing back the other way...

but til then credentials have gone the way of "don't ask don't tell."

one day and counting til Xmas -- 11 F'ing PICKS :beersign: :woohoo:

But tell us how you REALLY feel! ;-)

spacecrime said:
I guess you weren't listening to the show, were you?
Yeah, buddy, I was. Live in screaming techno-color through the magic of Windows Media Player. :eek: EEI overhyped it. Not a shock. It's what talk radio does best.

Sean Pa Patriot said:
He makes listening to Joe Thiesman and Paul Mcguire acceptable... He has no knowledge, and just likes to hear himself talk.. Another talking head..

I love Michael Smith.................in the male, sports fan, hetero kinda way.:) And for the record, Dan Dierdorf is my least favorite talking head period.

Sean Pa Patriot said:
He makes listening to Joe Thiesman and Paul Mcguire acceptable... He has no knowledge, and just likes to hear himself talk.. Another talking head..

Are you serious? Michael Smith is extremely knowledgeable(sp?). His points are valid 90% of the time and he never plays favorites. He tells it how it is.

Sean Pa Patriot said:
Here is a good quote from Mike Smith , who is such a great ESPN commodity.. " Not since Troy Aikman , has a number 1 draft choice at Qb taken his team to the super bowl"... Guess he never heard of a guy named Drew Bledsoe... Mike Smith cant hold a candle to the likes of Adam Schefter, Chirs Mortenson, and Mike Holley.... Peter King is getting a little tiresome as well... But Mike Smith , sorry I just dont see his great journalist traits...

If you were listening to weei, Michael corrected himself and apologized to Patriots fans. He and Holley gave Patriots fans two thumbs up for being so vocal in regards to anything sports in New England.

I guess this is the mike smith fan club, I better watch and pick my spots ... Anyway I do agree wont be watching Espn, Mike Irvin is back with Espn, which makes me not want to watch it anymore...

Sean Pa Patriot said:
I guess this is the mike smith fan club, I better watch and pick my spots ... Anyway I do agree wont be watching Espn, Mike Irvin is back with Espn, which makes me not want to watch it anymore...
I never thought so many guys could be so in love with a talking head.

You are so right about Irvin. Last year on the draft he wouldn't shut up. Every time Mortenson or Kiper tried to day something about the pick, Irvin talked over them loudly with his usual bs. So aggravating. At least I get NFL Network. I can watch the draft on that.

I know people like this person and don't like another.. These guys are paid for their opinion and I respect that. Not everyone is going to be right and most are wrong but its good journalism to look at a different point of view. The ones I stay away from are the "me " first or "I need to be part of the story" journalist.

Just my two cents.. But M. Smith is good in my book..

This thread is riduculous. Michael Smith is being raked over the coals for a simple mistake? He acknowledged his error yesterday on the radio and apologized, not that it really warranted an apology, but he did so anyway.

Branding us the "Mike Smith fan club" doesn't really accomplish anything. It just makes you look miserable. The guy works hard and provides insightful commentary in regards to the NFL. Moreso than 90% of the other hacks that ESPN has skulking about.

However, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't throw smarmy rhetoric out there when you get called out for stating something that many people disagee with.

well

Smith is one of the best around. He is always good when he is on WEEI, in fact when he sat in for Dale on "dale and holley" it was one of their best shows. He's also good when he' on "around the horn". Everyone makes mistakes, let's move on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST