PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How are the Jets doing it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their last couple of regular seasons have obviously not been below average since they've made the playoffs. They've then actually won games in the playoffs since the end of the 2007 season, unlike the Patriots.

Ok, maybe last year the earned their wc spot..but everyone knows the year before that they were gifted a playoff spot.

They beat the Pats in the playoffs last year. Pains me to say it but it would behoove Patriots fans (and perhaps the Pats brass) to take the Jets a little more seriously.

uh...I'm a HUGE Pats homer and I predicted 8-8 last season..at best..for the Pats. I also predicted the Jets would win the division easily. I was wrong.The Patriots won the division by THREE games over the consensus preseason favorite and YOU have the nerve to tell us to take the Jets more seriously?

where do you get this idea from???..your cat???

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Looks at calendar......

Hey its July! Time for the Jest to win the preseason!

Like daylight savings, taxes, death. Every year the same thing.

Enjoy yourself Jest fans! I hear you are guaranteed to win the superbowl again this year!

Ok, maybe last year the earned their wc spot..but everyone knows the year before that they were gifted a playoff spot.

They got into the playoffs. That's above average, pretty much by definition. The Patriots had better regular seasons and then bowed out without a single win in the playoffs.

Patriots fans used to laugh at the Colts fans about this stuff. Now, many of them are defending it. It's embarrassing to watch. The Jets suck, and they've got a bottom tier QB, but they've been better than the Patriots when it's mattered most during the past 2 seasons.

Last edited:
No worries. He'll smoke pot tonight to celebrate and be suspended all year.

The Niners just unloaded Nate Clements, their starting corner...WHY????

after all, these unbeatable Jets ,who did "better" than the Pats, even though they didn't play them TWO years ago by a stroke of luck, these Jets are the surefire guaranteed Aso winners and as, Rex has unequivocally stated, again,THE guaranteed Super Bowl winner THIS season.

Guess the Niners just decided to give in like the rest of the league and save some money...because the Jets have this...so nothing matters really

Last edited:
jets beat us- what else can you say and there Gm is smart and creative something pats are not- -
Pats are becoming a playoff failure-- and i havnt been happy with Management for several years now

Guaranteed bonuses are applied to the salary cap when they are paid.

However, if the contract is cut short and there is guaranteed money still in the contract, then it's paid out and hits the cap at the same time as any remaining salary cap amortization.

Any team could do this if they restructures players deals

Uh, what moves? Improve where?

All they've done is re-sign Santonio Holmes. He was there last year. How is that an improvement?

Braylon Edwards? B Smith? Cromtatie?

TYou confusing "improvement" with hype. Hype based on speculation.

With their cap number, the only way they could re-sign Holmes is to backload the contract, guarantee a larger % of the money and re-work some other big contracts.

But we need not run around acting like the sky is falling...

Holmes isn't an improvement to the 2010 Jets because he was a Jet in 2010. There are still a bunch of guys and positions they need to address. Re-signing Holmes wasn't earth shaking, it was merely standard housekeeping by a team.

As mentioned, they still have Cromartie, Smith and Edwards exposed to sign elsewhere. The oft injured Kris Jenkins is done and Damien Woody has retired. Given that this Jets team had little to no depth to start with, they seem to be hoping that they can catch lightening in a bottle with a bunch of gambles paying off in short time.

The Jets are gambling on the 2014 salary cap. They backloaded Holmes' deal. They will backload Asomugha's deal if they get him. They are gambling the salary cap in 2014 will be $161 million or more as was proposed a while back since the new TV deals kick in that year. Of course it could back fire if either Holmes or Asomugha don't live up to their deal and they have to cut them before 2014.

The question will be how it will affect them in 2014 if they have a lot of roster moves. You can argue if the Jets win the Super Bowl in 2011, 2012, or 2013; who cares? It is three years away.

It is tough to push so much money back four seasons and hope the big name contracts will play up to their money level for those three years prior to that year. Also what if the cap the next three years doesn't grow as they expect they could really get themselves in cap jail.

Yes, people have been predicting the Jets will get in cap jail for nearly a decade, but they haven't gamble with the cap like they look to be doing this year. Tannebaum is gambling he fully understands the ramifications of the CBA for the new cap too. He could come out a genius four years from now or an idiot.

Even if the worst case scenario happens, they'll probably just get another chance to wipe the contracts off their books with no dead money like they did on this last round.

7m bonus pro-rated over 5 years is 1.4. Salary for this year is 1.1m. There's your 2.5m. I'm surprised he took that little upfront money. But, he does have 24m guaranteed. 17m still guaranteed. Better keep his nose clean. So, his hit will be a lot higher the next few years.

7m bonus pro-rated over 5 years is 1.4. Salary for this year is 1.1m. There's your 2.5m. I'm surprised he took that little upfront money. But, he does have 24m guaranteed. 17m still guaranteed. Better keep his nose clean. So, his hit will be a lot higher the next few years.

They're going to be paying him like $20 million as a 35 year old. He's a #2 WR at best.

They're going to be paying him like $20 million as a 35 year old. He's a #2 WR at best.

No. They're going to cut or extend him in the last year of his deal; given the signing bonus of only 7M, there won't be much in the way of dead money if they cut him.

FWIW, Jason @ NYJetscap is guessing that the cap hits on the contract will be 8M in 2012, 10M in 2013, and 13M in 2014. That would make 2015 a 16.5M cap hit, which means he'd likely get restructured that year, if not in 2014

With their cap number, the only way they could re-sign Holmes is to backload the contract, guarantee a larger % of the money and re-work some other big contracts.

But we need not run around acting like the sky is falling...

Holmes isn't an improvement to the 2010 Jets because he was a Jet in 2010. There are still a bunch of guys and positions they need to address. Re-signing Holmes wasn't earth shaking, it was merely standard housekeeping by a team.

As mentioned, they still have Cromartie, Smith and Edwards exposed to sign elsewhere. The oft injured Kris Jenkins is done and Damien Woody has retired. Given that this Jets team had little to no depth to start with, they seem to be hoping that they can catch lightening in a bottle with a bunch of gambles paying off in short time.

this is LOST on the ADHD crowd....and not only what you posted but Jason Taylor contributed 5 sacks last season...THAT is gone...they franchised Harris which means their LB corps will remain the same for the most part. The best part of Blart Scrott's game is his mouth. Depth is subpar.The right side of their O line is a joke.They couldn't gain ONE yard in four tries in a must win situation yet they're bring back LaClassydone? Goatston is a major embarrassment and mocks Rex Ryan's boast that HE was the guy who would turn Vermin around.The RB from SoCal they drafted last season was a colossal failure. The safety position is undertalented and injury prone...and then there is the wildly inconsistent sexual predator, the Sanchize...looks great with no pressure as in the Pats game...looks like one of,if not THE worst starting QB in the league when any team applies rush pressure... hitting him makes him turtle. Just look at Rothlisberger compared to Sanchez in the AFC Championship game...one player standing tall and delivering in the clutch, the other running to the sideline, hands up, crying out for help like a lost little girl at Coney Island beach. They both got hit,one showed character and toughness, the other showed that SoCal frontrunner softness in the face of pressure.

Like almost everyone else, I would really like to see the Pats put pressure and hits on this frontrunner when we play them. He's shown, if you let him stand there for 7 or 8 seconds, he will find open receivers.With the offseason signing of Stroud and the return of Ty Warren, my opinion is the Patriots front 7 are MORE than a match for the Jet running game.Put Sanchez on his posterior with frequency and the Jets can sign TEN Namdi's and still lose 10-3.

Winning is all that's important and there are many,many ways to victory.I prefer to be optimistic rather than kneejerk doom and gloom about the Pats, every time another team makes a move.I learned that lesson during last year's regular season

Re-signing your own free agents isn't improving your squad, it's retaining the status quo. I'm interested to see the additions to compliment the players they let go and how those numbers translate into the cap.

I can't believe their financial management is better than the Patriots and that BB will sit idly bye whilst they attempt to improve a two time AFC Championship contending team whilst the Pats continue to rely on scheme and assumed internal roster improvement.

There's plenty of water to go underneath this bridge.

Last edited:
Even if the worst case scenario happens, they'll probably just get another chance to wipe the contracts off their books with no dead money like they did on this last round.

How do you figure that? The only reason they were allowed to "wipe out the dead money" is because that's what the league agreed to for the new CBA... By 2014, there isn't going to be a whole lot of wiggle room for them..

Hes a good WR i would be more worried about a year suspension.

I don't see what about him makes him worth $50 million or anywhere near it. Never had more than 79 catches or 1,250 yards in a season. Played 16 games once. Never more than 8 TDs. Take out 2009, his best year would be 55 rec, 942, 8 TD. And he's 27 already.

Re-signing your own free agents isn't improving your squad, it's retaining the status quo. I'm interested to see the additions to compliment the players they let go and how those numbers translate into the cap.

I can't believe their financial management is better than the Patriots and that BB will sit idly bye whilst they attempt to improve a two time AFC Championship contending team whilst the Pats continue to rely on scheme and assumed internal roster improvement.

There's plenty of water to go underneath this bridge.

But let's not forget, we all panicked during the draft. And afterward a level-headed board saw the light, we understood the strategy much better. Meanwhile what have the Jets done to improve their team? Holmes was a resign and they're going to lose a number of players. We'll just have to wait on the Aso front, because that would represent an actual improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back