PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How are the Jets doing it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowell33

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
How is it possible that Holmes has a 5 year contract with $24 million guaranteed, and a cap number of only $2.45 mil this season ? The $24 million can't be a future option bonus ( or else it wouldn't be guaranteed ). Doesn't the $24 million guarantee have to be spread over the 5 years of the contract for cap purposes ?

Or is it possible that the future year salaries are guaranteed but not paid up front? Still sounds wrong because if the first year base salary is $1 million, I thought the annual increases in base salary could only go up a certain percentage annually ?

Anyone have any ideas ? Hate watching the Jets manipulate the cap every year. It never seems to catch up with them.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ntract-leaves-plenty-of-cap-space-for-nnamdi/

Twitter

Last edited:
How is it possible that Holmes has a 5 year contract with $24 million guaranteed, and a cap number of only $2.45 mil this season ? The $24 million can't be a future option bonus ( or else it wouldn't be guaranteed ). Doesn't the $24 million guarantee have to be spread over the 5 years of the contract for cap purposes ?

Or is it possible that the future year salaries are guaranteed but not paid up front? Still sounds wrong because if the first year base salary is $1 million, I thought the annual increases in base salary could only go up a certain percentage annually ?

Anyone have any ideas ? Hate watching the Jets manipulate the cap every year. It never seems to catch up with them.

Holmes contract leaves plenty of cap space for Nnamdi | ProFootballTalk

Twitter

simple. we're cheating.

I'm sure there's a link to PFF that could tell us...

Who gives a *****

I'm not sure. But if this ISN'T going to catch up with the Jets at some point (and that looks more and more likely to be the case), then the Pats need to get creative too. Can't be left behind because you're operating under a business model from 5 years ago.

And can we please stop with the ******* hysteria already?

No. It depends how it's structured. You can have a guaranteed roster bonus that would get converted to an option bonus and further spread across the life of the contract from the moment of exercise. you can have guaranteed salary in later years. You can have a non-guaranteed option bonus and an insurance policy that pays you the full amount of the bonus if it isn't exercised. The only way "guaranteed money" has to be spread over the life of the contract is if it is signing bonus.

As for how they're doing it - they have one of the best GMs in football.

rex made my balls drop 2 years ago. before that, we were all too busy stroking BB...

You've earned our attention. Call us when you actually win something.

I know 5/50 with 24 guaranteed has been confirmed....

But has that part about 1 mil base and 2.45 cap been confirmed yet.

I'm really curious about how that'll play out.

The Jets are gambling on the 2014 salary cap. They backloaded Holmes' deal. They will backload Asomugha's deal if they get him. They are gambling the salary cap in 2014 will be $161 million or more as was proposed a while back since the new TV deals kick in that year. Of course it could back fire if either Holmes or Asomugha don't live up to their deal and they have to cut them before 2014.

The question will be how it will affect them in 2014 if they have a lot of roster moves. You can argue if the Jets win the Super Bowl in 2011, 2012, or 2013; who cares? It is three years away.

It is tough to push so much money back four seasons and hope the big name contracts will play up to their money level for those three years prior to that year. Also what if the cap the next three years doesn't grow as they expect they could really get themselves in cap jail.

Yes, people have been predicting the Jets will get in cap jail for nearly a decade, but they haven't gamble with the cap like they look to be doing this year. Tannebaum is gambling he fully understands the ramifications of the CBA for the new cap too. He could come out a genius four years from now or an idiot.

Doing what? Winning offseason championships, having below aveage regular seasons, backing into playoff in the wildcard and falling short of even going to a superbowl?

I dont know, maybe its because they think big name signings are the only answer? Without building a team and depth?

Doing what? Winning offseason championships, having below aveage regular seasons, backing into playoff in the wildcard and falling short of even going to a superbowl?

I dont know, maybe its because they think big name signings are the only answer? Without building a team and depth?

They beat the Pats in the playoffs last year. Pains me to say it but it would behoove Patriots fans (and perhaps the Pats brass) to take the Jets a little more seriously.

Their last couple of regular seasons have obviously not been below average since they've made the playoffs. They've then actually won games in the playoffs since the end of the 2007 season, unlike the Patriots.

They are making moves to improve their team. What do u want them to do, stand pat and do nothing. Their moves may not work, but at least they are trying. I still believe will sanchez hold them back from winning the superbowl.

They are making moves to improve their team. What do u want them to do, stand pat and do nothing. Their moves may not work, but at least they are trying. I still believe will sanchez hold them back from winning the superbowl.

Uh, what moves? Improve where?

All they've done is re-sign Santonio Holmes. He was there last year. How is that an improvement?

Braylon Edwards? B Smith? Cromtatie?

TYou confusing "improvement" with hype. Hype based on speculation.

The Washington Redskins come to mind..

The Washington Redskins come to mind..

If the Redskins had been to the AFC Championship game 2 years in a row, and beaten us 2 out of 3 games last year, I would agree. Otherwise, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes