PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs had torn labrum in shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree sir, Hobbs plays with confidence that is a must for a cornerback, he has a swagger that seems to ignite the defense at times.
I've seen him make plays in the end zone against good throws where i'd say to myself damn that's a touchdown for instance in miami against the fish.
He has good speed and if he played with that injury is a real trooper to boot.
Never get's beat deep plays giving a cushion which i believe that is the scheme from pees.
I'd rather he not give up the big pass than be like a assante and guess for the in or short pass and get beat deep.
I think Hobbs can be a number 1 in this league and will be for at least the first half of next season.
I don't understand this hate for him he's not a Chris Canty.

Lets not change the question. As i said and i've seen all season, the guys falls down a LOT during coverage, usually, when it seems he knows he's been beat. Again, what's so good about him? I don't understand the love for the guy. If not for the safety help and belichick's defense he'd probably be worse than he is now. I'm not saying that he couldn't improve, in fact, he better or a rookie for FA(hopefully) will take his job next year. That would make me happy.

The 'famous' plays with Hobbs struggling are when he's been seen out there alone. From the long pass to Burress, to the touchdown pass to a running back, to the touchdown pass to Burress in the Super Bowl, they've been plays where Hobbs has been shown isolated. And, if you know the coverage this team plays, you know that it's likely that mistakes were made by other players in at least 2 of those plays, leaving Hobbs to carry the bag.

So, I'd love to hear of all these other "burns".

I wonder what percentage of football 'fans' realize how little they see and can understand about any given football game by what is shown on television.

Last edited:
I don't hate the guy, sir, i just don't understand the LOVE. He's NOT that good. I'd say he's "serviceable" and i do think he can improve. While i also think that corners SHOULD have some swagger, Hobbs has a little too much for someone who's just not that good. Its almost as if his swagger comes from other people's(Asante) success.

I'm not questioning the man's toughness. But his skills as a corner in the NFL so far aren't impressive. Now again, WHAT has this man done that is so great, or even good?

Well it's not playing defense but has the longest kick return for a touchdown in NFL history.
That's something I suppose.:)

I don't hate the guy, sir, i just don't understand the LOVE. He's NOT that good. I'd say he's "serviceable" and i do think he can improve. While i also think that corners SHOULD have some swagger, Hobbs has a little too much for someone who's just not that good. Its almost as if his swagger comes from other people's(Asante) success.

I'm not questioning the man's toughness. But his skills as a corner in the NFL so far aren't impressive. Now again, WHAT has this man done that is so great, or even good?

Well, for one thing, despite being thrown at more than Samuel, he gave up fewer touchdowns. Now, kindly answer my question.

Gee, all i'm seeing so far seems to be excuses about why Hobbs is NOT good. Any reasons for me to believe he is?

Also, lets not pretend that ANY of us here are expert "fans" or know volumes more than one another besides what we see each Sunday on TV or read here.

And NO I can't recount each and every "burn" of Mr. Hobbs, but again, when i think about him and his season and even his career I can't think of 1 game changing great play, great HIT or great anything for that matter that Ellis has done either. He's famous for all the wrong reasons and my OPINION of him is that he's not good. PLUS, i still don't understand why people stick up so much for him and make excuses for him etc..

Ok Crazy, i'll give you that. He's a very good special teamer. That was a great return. But like you even mentioned, what about his defense?

And why all the anger Deus? I hope its not homerism. We can agree to disagree i guess.

Gee, all i'm seeing so far seems to be excuses about why Hobbs is NOT good. Any reasons for me to believe he is?

Also, lets not pretend that ANY of us here are expert "fans" or know volumes more than one another besides what we see each Sunday on TV or read here.

And NO I can't recount each and every "burn" of Mr. Hobbs, but again, when i think about him and his season and even his career I can't think of 1 game changing great play, great HIT or great anything for that matter that Ellis has done either. He's famous for all the wrong reasons and my OPINION of him is that he's not good. PLUS, i still don't understand why people stick up so much for him and make excuses for him etc..

We 'stick up so much for him' because we get tired of people like yourself making claims with nothing at all to back up the claim.

What's my claim? I gave you my opinion. I don't think he's good. That doesn't mean he can't BE good, but up until now my memories of him are falling down for no reason and getting beat. I guess your memories are different.

What's my claim? I gave you my opinion. I don't think he's good. That doesn't mean he can't BE good, but up until now my memories of him are falling down for no reason and getting beat. I guess your memories are different.

My claim is that you don't know defensive calls on a specific play, or receive your own copy of the all-22 tape, so it's literally impossible for you to know exactly how well Ellis Hobbs plays cornerback. Nor do I believe you go to every Patriots game and watch Ellis on every play.

I mean, you're free to have your opinion, based on the limited knowledge you possess.

But don't get desperate and start calling people homers just because they don't think your argument has a leg to stand on.

Last edited:
Well, i've got to go for now. Again Deus, no hard feelings. I respect everyone's opinions here and just don't understand the love for Hobbs. Hopefully he takes an Asante-like step up next year and this argument is moot.

Claim:

As i said and i've seen all season, the guys falls down a LOT during coverage, usually, when it seems he knows he's been beat. Again, what's so good about him? I don't understand the love for the guy. If not for the safety help and belichick's defense he'd probably be worse than he is now.

So, I asked you a simple question and you can't, or won't answer it. Let's try another one....

Where the hell have all these safeties been to bail him out?

Tobias, NONE of us know defensive calls on certain plays, none of us have received copies of any "all 22" tapes, none of us knows EXACTLY how ellis hobbs plays defense. The same comments apply to yourself and everyone else here. Also, ALL of us here, on a messageboard about our favorite team have "LIMITED" knowledge on these matters. And i didn't CALL anyone a "Homer" i wrote that i HOPE it wasn't homerism. Also nobody has given me any reason to believe that Hobbs is good. Just more excuses about why people think he isn't bad.

Look at all the anger when someone questions the opinions of the majority!! lol

Hobbs is a serviceable corner. If he doesn't improve next year I THINK he'll be a serviceable backup. thats just MY opinion. Have a good night everyone!! GO PATS.

Why would a good corner need to be bailed out?? I'm talking about HOBBS, not the safeties who may or may not be there to help him out. I guess they must all be helping Asante out, but then again, Asante IS good.

Also nobody has given me any reason to believe that Hobbs is good.

That's because you conveniently ignore everything that would make a reasonable person believe such a thing.

Thankfully, it's Belichick's decision to put Hobbs out there, not yours.

Why would a good corner need to be bailed out?? I'm talking about HOBBS, not the safeties who may or may not be there to help him out. I guess they must all be helping Asante out, but then again, Asante IS good.

And what criteria are you using to claim that Asante IS good?

Asante gave up more touchdowns even though Hobbs had more passes thrown in his direction.

Asante was embarassed many times during the season after trying to jump a route and getting burned. I didn't let that affect my belief that he is a strong cornerback.

In all seriousness, Asante and Ellis are both very good at doing the job that Belichick asks them to do on each play. They are rarely playing man coverage, and the people they are covering rarely, if ever, make yards after the catch, which is what Belichick obviously wants to keep to a minimum, so he can have Rodney shading closer to the LoS. They are both great tacklers and generally exceptional at keeping the play in front of them.

Asante is better at jumping the ball, but he has more experience. Ellis has started to show flashes of that, but that is a bonus in a #2 corner. Maybe he will be good enough next year to fight for the #1 spot if Asante leaves, or maybe not, but as a #2, I wouldn't trade him for anyone else.

I also have vivid memories of Hobbs playing picture-perfect coverage on Reggie Wayne in two separate Colts games, and having BS flags thrown on him both times.

What is with all the Hobbs hate? Look yeah he does get abused every now and then due to his size but he holds his own for the most part. Name another corner on our current roster who could have done better at #2.

Where the hell have all these safeties been to bail him out?
v. Giants 1, Sanders bit hard on play-action in a basic cover 2, found himself in no-man's land and took himself out of the play. Hobbs actually had good coverage on Plaxico, but Manning threw a great pass up high where Plax could use his height advantage. Pees later remarked in an interview that Hobbs was suppose to have safety help on the play. The Hobbs detractors, however, don't want to hear this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft