PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs had torn labrum in shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hobbs was Banged Up

Tough kid, still the worst starting corner in the league.

Well said. He's a mediocre player. He's a nickel back who's a tad exposed as a starter. He's still got room to get better though.

Even if I were, would that make your contradictions quoted previously less contradictory and actually worthy of a serious reply?

OK.

The defense is based on not so much stopping the opposing team, but stopping them from scoring points. A field goal rather than a TD.

The type of defence I was responding to was specific to the last minutes in the half where the team wants to stop the opposition from driving the ball. In that situation, keeping the play in front of the defense if vital. In that case, a three yard completion is acceptable, but an incomplete pass works as well. Time doesn't continue to run, but it eliminates one down for the opposition. Stop them with 4 incompletions you get the ball back, stop them with three 3 yard passes and it is forth and 1. The time might have continued to run, but it is easier to make a forth and 1 than a forth and 10.

What's with the Ellis man love? I didn't say he didn't belong in the NFL, just that he wasn't a starting quality CB on this team. He gives up too many plays at the wrong moment in time. Its not his fault, it is the teams fault for thinking he was better than he is. That is my opinion. I haven't taken anything out of context and I haven't called anybody names and I haven't accused you of ignorance. I have to admit I have piled on a little, but I believe what I wrote. The fact is there are better out there. On a team that went 18-1, he was a weak link. He had some moments, but so did Earthwind Morland. In the end it is sticks and stones from somebody who is ones and zeros. (Would that make it virtual sticks and virtual stones?):bricks:

Plus, I hate sources. I hate it when players hide behind them and I hate it whan agents use them to get their message out. Is this Ellis' contract year? Was he a 4 or a 5 year guy? If he was a 4 year guy, the damage control is to protect his long term interests. If he was a 5 year guy then he is worried about his status on the Pats roster. A nickle back isn't worth much on the open market now days.

The type of defence I was responding to was specific to the last minutes in the half where the team wants to stop the opposition from driving the ball. In that situation, keeping the play in front of the defense if vital. In that case, a three yard completion is acceptable, but an incomplete pass works as well. Time doesn't continue to run, but it eliminates one down for the opposition. Stop them with 4 incompletions you get the ball back, stop them with three 3 yard passes and it is forth and 1. The time might have continued to run, but it is easier to make a forth and 1 than a forth and 10.

I fairly sure that if you look back to my first reply to you in this thread, the scenario you mention above is in spirit the exact as the one I had first mentioned. You're more detailed about it, but the circumstances are the same. And I'm also fairly sure that I had replied with the above scenario as a reply to your statement that there are no defenses designed to allow a receiver to catch the ball. My point was that in the Pats prevent scheme within their bend but don't break defense, they'll sacrifice yards for time off the clock and opposing teams' time-outs when outside the redzone.

While I agree that the ultimate goal is to shut down the offense and make them go three- or four-and-out, it seems to me that a more realistic approach when confronted with four to five wide-outs in a shotgun, hurry-up is to concede some plays like draws, mid to short passes over the middle and QB scrambles because such plays tend to take much time off the clock.

Now, from what you've written above, it seems that we're finally in agreement.
What's with the Ellis man love? I didn't say he didn't belong in the NFL, just that he wasn't a starting quality CB on this team.

It's actually not "man love" and I think more people, even those who stand in support of Hobbs in this thread, are being far more objective on the matter and have ridiculed you for statements like:
He had some moments, but so did Earthwind Morland.
I haven't taken anything out of context and I haven't called anybody names
I've done neither to you.
Plus, I hate sources. I hate it when players hide behind them and I hate it whan agents use them to get their message out. Is this Ellis' contract year? Was he a 4 or a 5 year guy? If he was a 4 year guy, the damage control is to protect his long term interests. If he was a 5 year guy then he is worried about his status on the Pats roster. A nickle back isn't worth much on the open market now days.
Miguel's page is great source on such information. Further, sources tend to be great even in sports journalism so long as one cultivates solid sources and uses them responsibly.

Lastly, this bit about Hobbs having been injured and having had surgery is nothing new. It was reported by Sirius NFL Radio the day following the Super Bowl.

Acutally, that play is designed to keep the play in front of the linebackers. If the catch is made it is OK, but it isn't designed to allow the opposing team to catch the ball.

He is a player by definition, I am still waiting to see it on the field. He is a very good kick returner though. I am sorry, this isn't a bum rap, he had a bad year, and a terrible Super Bowl. Both he and Assante came up small in that big game. I have no faith in him filling in nicely for Assante. He may be the reason the Patriots overpay for Assante. Even if Assante stays, there will be new DB's in camp trying to take his position. If Eugene Wilson hadn't fallen off of the earth he would have been seeing time at CB. He was drafted as a CB and only went to safety when they let Lawyer go.

Time will tell, I may very well be wrong, but right now I feel pretty confident in my assessment.

It's Asante man....Asante!!! Anyways, appreciate your opinion....you're taking some shots on here but are sticking to your opinion.......I for one tend to agree with you.....I love Hobbs in a nickel situation but I do NOT see him as a starting corner for this team......He got burned an awful lot this year and is a horrible matchup almost anytime ONE on ONE......I love the kid's toughness.....good KR........and very talented athlete.....just don't think he should be out there as a starting corner.....and I don't expect him to "evolve" that much.....He is what he is......and if utilized correctly he will do great things for us......I do not see him stepping right in and filling in for Asante without missing a beat........Asante is a much better corner overall.....By the way, Hobbs unfortuneatly got beat/fooled in what seemed like the same play in week 16 after being left on an island against Burress.....Oh well.....Let's see what Ellis can do this year.....There is NO QUESTION in regards to his competitiveness or toughness......he is a tough kid and a great patriot

By the way, Hobbs unfortuneatly got beat/fooled in what seemed like the same play in week 16 after being left on an island against Burress.....
The week 16 completion was a fly pattern along the left hash mark on the first play of the game. The SB TD given up was on an outcut on an all out blitz.

What does a bad shoulder have to do with getting beat by 5 yards in the end zone? Not many people have 10 foot long arms. :)

20080203sb3231du3.jpg

The week 16 completion was a fly pattern along the left hash mark on the first play of the game. The SB TD given up was on an outcut on an all out blitz.

I appreciate the clarification and stand corrected...seemed like the same play just on different sides..Thanks for setting things straight!!!!!

Well, I guess Plaxico Burress must be a lot tougher than Hobbs. Because he actually made the play even though he had been hurt all week leading up to the SB.

Well, I guess Plaxico Burress must be a lot tougher than Hobbs. Because he actually made the play even though he had been hurt all week leading up to the SB.
Had he OUT MUSCLED Hobbs, you might have a point. He put a move on him, he didn't out tough him.
I for one found it interesting that despite having done it seldom to never all year, the Pats moved Hobbs to LCB a few times in this game. This time he was on the right, his normal spot covering the Giants' best receiver. They must have had their reasons for trusting him in that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes