PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs had torn labrum in shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hobbs was Banged Up

There has to be a billion pictures of Hobbs. Do we really need to see that one?

Tools. Without Mike Reiss, the Globe would be Herald-esqe.

I know what a zone defense is, and Ellis leaves a very large zone between him and the reciever.

Ellis is just OK, but he souldn't be starting on this team. For years the secondary has been a problem. Either from injury or just bad play. There is a reason Assante became a Pro Bowl player when Ellis started to play regularly. On the play, Ellis wasn't close. There wasn't a whole lot of "zone" to protect and he was still 3 yards off when the ball was caught. Now, you can accuse James Sanders of missing his assignment all you want, the corner fade run by a teams number 1 reciever is a corners number 1 responsibility. If that reciever cuts it inside then the safety might have coverage responsibility also, along with the corner. That little fade pattern was Ellis' responsibility. The Giants ran that play all the time and Ellis had to know it and he still got toasted.

On a last place team Ellis would be ok, on a team as good as the Patriots he proved to be the difference between 18-1 and 19-0.

I don't get this statement. So because you think Ellis is bad the rest of league compared Asante to Ellis thereby elevating to a ProBowler?

By that logic Reche Calwell should have been a pro-bowler in 2006 when we had kelvin kight.

Maybe BB told him to play 15 yards off.

1. It was obvious when his reps were reduced that Hobbs was playing through an injury. I commented on it repeatedly at the time. Nobody paid attention, because it was no big insight, as many of the rest of you had noticed the same thing.

2. We've already established that somebody made a mental error on the Burress play, whether Hobbs, a coach, or another DB. After all the plays on which the DB gives up the pass but doesn't let the receiver get behind him, this was NOT a game situation in which there should have been any chance of the receiver getting behind the last DB.

Hobbs is a player. He should do really well next year. He's seemed to perform at pace with Asante Samuel for each year he's been in the league, and Asante became a ballhawk at the end of his 3rd year in the league too.

I don't get this statement. So because you think Ellis is bad the rest of league compared Asante to Ellis thereby elevating to a ProBowler?

By that logic Reche Calwell should have been a pro-bowler in 2006 when we had kelvin kight.

Maybe BB told him to play 15 yards off.

Why throw at Assante when you can throw on Ellis? Assante has some talent, Ellis was a young first year starter. So Assante come back this year, has a pretty good year, but most of the big time throws go Ellis' way, and a large percentage of them get caught. I don't like Ellis on the corner every play. He is small, gives the reciever too much cushion and gives up too many big plays. The Pats play a zone defense too much for a corner like Ellis. He can't out jump the reciever for the ball and doesn't seem to play close enough to the reciever to break the play up. I am pretty sure that there aren't any defenses designed to allow a reciever to catch the ball.

Ellis was put in a bad spot. He was left alone on the corner while the team blitzed. That left Ellis alone with Burress, he should have been on top of him, make Ely beat him. Instead he plays off Burress and he gets beaten. Maybe the coaching staff can be blamed, or maybe he was the best of what was left on the team, but he had a bad year. Its really a shame too, we need help on defense but he is still young. After the year he had the team will have to go looking for somebody to challenge his position. With Assante probably leaving that means need multiple new DB's in camp.

I hope I am wrong and his problems were systemic. I not a troll and the Pats are my team, but I can look at them and see the flaws. Ellis had a bad year and if there were somebody better he would have been replaced. There was a period where Randall Gay was starting, then he got hurt. But Hobbs wasn't that good all year, regardless of the scheme, or the type of defense. Belichick didn't win three Super Bowls by giving up big plays in the defensive backfield.

I question his toughness. that makes you a liar.

I am pretty sure that there aren't any defenses designed to allow a reciever to catch the ball.
Actually, there are and the Pats defense employs such schemes and strategy often in situations where giving up short completions while forcing the opposing team to buring time off the clock late in a game to protect a lead is called upon.

Said this, I agree that Hobbs is a player and often gets a bum rap from many Pats fans. Understand that even last season, he even lined up on the left side and went up against Harrison against the Colts. He'll get better and make more plays on the ball. I expect he'll step up to fill in for the expected departure of Asante nicely.

Actually, there are and the Pats defense employs such schemes and strategy often in situations where giving up short completions while forcing the opposing team to buring time off the clock late in a game to protect a lead is called upon.

Said this, I agree that Hobbs is a player and often gets a bum rap from many Pats fans. Understand that even last season, he even lined up on the left side and went up against Harrison against the Colts. He'll get better and make more plays on the ball. I expect he'll step up to fill in for the expected departure of Asante nicely.

Here's what some people need to understand. The Pats play a cover three. The large cushion is a staple of their bend but don't break philosophy. I remember distinctly observing a pre-snap look where Randall Gay himself was 12 yards off the outside receiver. In the cover-3, your cbs and FSs need that cushion, otherwise the purpose of the philosophy is nullified.

That being said, I think Hobbs is best in man coverage. He has some work to do to be a better zone defender. There was one play in the SB where Manning threw a lob to the sideline towards Toomer. It should have been incomplete, but Toomer made the play on it. That shouldn't happen.

The film could prove me wrong, but I don't think Ellis jumps routes as frequently or as well as Asante, so Hobbs is more inclined to stay back and give up the completion. In the cover-3, he can afford to jump a route. If he can learn to read routes better in the zone defense, he will get better.

Why throw at Assante when you can throw on Ellis? Assante has some talent, Ellis was a young first year starter. So Assante come back this year, has a pretty good year, but most of the big time throws go Ellis' way, and a large percentage of them get caught. I don't like Ellis on the corner every play. He is small, gives the reciever too much cushion and gives up too many big plays. The Pats play a zone defense too much for a corner like Ellis. He can't out jump the reciever for the ball and doesn't seem to play close enough to the reciever to break the play up. I am pretty sure that there aren't any defenses designed to allow a reciever to catch the ball.

Ellis was put in a bad spot. He was left alone on the corner while the team blitzed. That left Ellis alone with Burress, he should have been on top of him, make Ely beat him. Instead he plays off Burress and he gets beaten. Maybe the coaching staff can be blamed, or maybe he was the best of what was left on the team, but he had a bad year. Its really a shame too, we need help on defense but he is still young. After the year he had the team will have to go looking for somebody to challenge his position. With Assante probably leaving that means need multiple new DB's in camp.

I hope I am wrong and his problems were systemic. I not a troll and the Pats are my team, but I can look at them and see the flaws. Ellis had a bad year and if there were somebody better he would have been replaced. There was a period where Randall Gay was starting, then he got hurt. But Hobbs wasn't that good all year, regardless of the scheme, or the type of defense. Belichick didn't win three Super Bowls by giving up big plays in the defensive backfield.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Some examples:

- Prevent defenses that defend the sidelines are often actually hoping that a pass is completed, to the middle of the field, keeping the game clock running. Well, perhaps "hoping" is a bit strong, but they are designed to allow completions in the field of play.

- Hobbs started all 16 regular season games this season, according to NFL.com.

- According to Reiss, Hobbs was thrown against more than Samuel, but gave up fewer touchdowns.

Last edited:

There was one play in the SB where Manning threw a lob to the sideline towards Toomer. It should have been incomplete, but Toomer made the play on it. That shouldn't happen.

You mean the play where Toomer facemasked Hobbs to the ground before catching the ball?

You mean the play where Toomer facemasked Hobbs to the ground before catching the ball?

Ok, I looked at the play again. Toomer did not out-muscle him on that play. You win some match-ups and you lose some match-ups.

Last edited:

Ok, I looked at the play again. Toomer did out-muscle him on that play. You win some match-ups and you lose some match-ups.

Toomer didn't exactly out muscle him he clearly put his hand on Hobbs' facemask and pushed him away while the ball was in the air. Don't want to split hairs or anything:D

Toomer didn't exactly out muscle him he clearly put his hand on Hobbs' facemask and pushed him away while the ball was in the air. Don't want to split hairs or anything:D

It's fine.

Stuff like that happens in WR-DB match-ups. It's unfortunate Hobbs was on the receiving end of it for us, but we wouldn't be complaining about it if Moss got away with it.

Ok, I looked at the play again. Toomer did out-muscle him on that play. You win some match-ups and you lose some match-ups.

It looked 100x more blatant than any OPI call on Moss that I've ever seen...

It looked 100x more blatant than any OPI call on Moss that I've ever seen...

There's not much we can really do about now...

This isn't about taking the play back. You brought up the play as an example of Hobbs' poor play and are now trying to change the subject to avoid admitting you were wrong to do so.

This isn't about taking the play back. You brought up the play as an example of Hobbs' poor play and are now trying to change the subject to avoid admitting you were wrong to do so.

I admitted I was wrong, but there was a typo in an earlier post that I just corrected. The post now acknowledges the fact that Hobbs was not out- muscled. So yes, that play no doesn't prove my point. Are you happy?

Secondly, I never said Hobbs' play was poor. I said there are things he needs to work on that can improve his play in the scheme. I am not in the "Hobbs is the sorriest corner in the league camp".

im happy :) kisses

Maybe KR for a starting DB isn't such a good idea. Kind of like FB for the franchise DL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back