PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hmm... let Talib walk and cut Wilfork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without Talib, our secondary as it stands because of our inconsistent pass rush, is crap. But even with Talib, if we can't get a consistent pass, good QBs with decent WRs are going to complete passes. Talib can only cover 1 guy. Getting a consistent pass rush would improve everyone in our secondary. We have good depth of talent at CB. McCourty is pretty good and Gregory is not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Ideally, Tavon or Harmon beat him so we get even more athletic back there. We get a pass rush, for example like Seattle, our secondary would be a notch better than what it is, which is already pretty good. We're not going to win sniff another SB title if our defense can't get off the field on 3rd downs.

I'm not totally opposed to not signing Wilfork either. Big fat run stuffing DLs are not really what is needed in this pass happy league. We need athletic bigs.

Patriots Salary Cap Picture ? 2/4/2014 Update :patriots Salary Cap

details how

Summary:
Release Isaac Sopoaga - net cap savings of $2.080 million. -

Release Dan Connolly - net cap savings of $2.580 million

One of the following
a.)Reduce Wilfork's salary from $7.5 million to $4 million while converting $3.5 of his salary into a NTLBE incentive - cap savings of $3.5 million
•b) Release Wilfork - net cap savings of $7.505 million
•c) Extend Wilfork through the 2016 season - converting $6 million of his $7.5 million into a signing bonus - cap savings of $4 million

Convert $4.5 million of Mankins's $6.5 million salary into a signing bonus - cap savings of $3 million while pushing out $1.5 million of signing bonus proration to the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

Extend Gostkowski's contract by 4 years while giving him a $5 million signing bonus and lowering his salary from $2.9 million to $900,000 - cap savings - $1,000,000

Extend McCourty's contract by 4 years while giving him a $10 million signing bonus while lowering his 2014 salary from $3.92 million to $1 million - cap savings - $1,000,000

Release Steve Gregory - net cap savings of $2.23 million
Release Tommie Kelly - net cap savings of $1,661,250
Release Adrian Wilson - net cap savings of $746,667

Thanks Miguel, that is an exceptional breakdown. Looks like they can create room to upgrade the roster if they want to. Wilfork is going to be the toughest of the decisions imo, hopefully he is amenable to redoing his deal.

If Kraft let Talib go, our secondary will be garbage again. " He wasn't on the field a lot of the time since he's been with us" and the result of those games wasn't good.Shutdown corners are tough to find,pay me the man Kraft.

Yeah, I'm not sure what he's trying to accomplish with those remarks. It makes it seem like they have no desire to bring him back which is troublesome because who are they going to have replace him? And how close to the level of Talib will they actually be? Because without him, this defense is a whole lot worse.

I don't think the question is whether Wilfork will redo his deal. Wilfork is not going to count $11.5M toward the cap this year. He knows it. The team knows it.

The open questions are how much each party will demand of the other in negotiating an extension.

My guess is that Wilfork will ask for at least a $7M bonus and a guarantee of his 2014 salary of $1M (or perhaps a $6M bonus and a $1M guarantee of part of next year's salary. I would presume a 3 year deal.

For me, this is a non-starter. I just cannot see paying $8M new money for this year's services.

Thanks Miguel, that is an exceptional breakdown. Looks like they can create room to upgrade the roster if they want to. Wilfork is going to be the toughest of the decisions imo, hopefully he is amenable to redoing his deal.

What I have said is that I do not think that Belichick will go into the 2014 draft expecting to find a shutdown corner who will start for the 2014 patriots. Belichick will sign a starter in free agency, whether Talib or someone else.

Shutdown corners are rare, especially for folks picking at #29. Not all of these corners are first year successes.

I would much rather use the first pick (if we use it at all) for a TE or a defensive lineman.

The draft is a pipe dream? 100% of the shutdown corners in NFL history came from the draft.

What I have said is that I do not think that Belichick will go into the 2014 draft expecting to find a shutdown corner who will start for the 2014 patriots. Belichick will sign a starter in free agency, whether Talib or someone else.

Shutdown corners are rare, especially for folks picking at #29. Not all of these corners are first year successes.

I would much rather use the first pick (if we use it at all) for a TE or a defensive lineman.

I'm not advocating using a first rounder on a CB. I would actually be pissed off if the team did that. But the notion that you can't find an impact player at that position is crap. Alfonzo Dennard was a 7th round pick that made an impact for the Pats in his rookie season.

I'm not advocating using a first rounder on a CB. I would actually be pissed off if the team did that. But the notion that you can't find an impact player at that position is crap. Alfonzo Dennard was a 7th round pick that made an impact for the Pats in his rookie season.

Dennard was actually expected to be a first rounder for a long time leading up to the draft but fell due to injury and then the arrest shortly before the draft. That was one of those cases where Belichick spent a mid to late pick on a gamble on ability.

I agree that they won't go first round for CB in this draft but he always takes DB's in every draft so i would expect at least one at some point.

On the other hand, you could have a Dennard-Dennard backfield and confuse the hell out of the officials and opponents. ;)

On the other hand, you could have a Dennard-Dennard backfield and confuse the hell out of the officials and opponents. ;)

That would be one of the more scrappy backfields in the NFL.

I'll repeat my point in a shorter sentence.

IMHO, a 2014 draftee will not be one of our starting corners.

I don't understand how you make a team stronger by eliminating its two best players without having a sure replacement plan. But I suppose anything is possible. :confused:

Wilfork has already been eliminated.

Vince was overweight and out of shape before his injury and I cannot help but think that his injury was a result of this. Before he was injured, opposing teams seemed to be able to block him with a single guy.

How is he going to lose weight and gain strength if his Achilles is damaged? He did not look so great on the sidelines. This may be The End for the loveable big guy, alas.

"With the 29th pick of the First Round, the Patriot select "Big Galoot", Defensive Tackle, East Podunk State."

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes