PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hit job on Gil & Gino by Chad Finn today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me nuts, but I wouldn't mind Tanguay & Zo, if a few things happen.

1. Tanguay learns to call a game.

2. Tanguay keeps his contrarian opinions to himself.

3. That's it.

This is no doubt news to G & G. Certainly they've faced the criticism before. They must love their jobs and probably plan to continue until they are unable to physically travel to the stadiums. Getting crapped on right before Christmas does suck. After 22 years with the same company, I got hit with a 3 month layoff last week. It's puts a damper on holiday spirits. Anybody need a safety manager, DOT compliance officer, live audio engineer or all three? :(

Sorry to hear that man.

I love Gil's call..... Geno has lost a little off his fastball, but Gil can stay as long as he likes. Everything about the way he calls the game reminds who I root for and where I live. He is irreplacable in my book. Especially, for Tanguay. No thank you. I like Tanguay, but I feel he is cast properly.

Not a topic foreign to posters here, but did that need to be a whole article and the front of Boston.com? These Globe writers are like "Housewives of Patriots Place." Gossip and drama.

I always loved Gil's enthusiasm, but he is no longer an effective radio play-by-play guy. You don't really know what is going on in the play until he finishes his stuttering and pausing. Oddly, he tends to describe what happened after the play, instead of during the play. He's a bad tv play-by-play announcer. You don't know what is happening during the play.

"Brady throws...and..it's...caught!<pause> Gronkowski has it. And he...he's down at the 30."

Then after the play, he says what he could have said during his play-by-play.

But really, is that all the professional sportswriter has to write about?

As others have pointed out, this topic does come up occasionally and did so just a few weeks ago. I agree with Deb that you need to be careful what you wish for.

I could live with Zo over Gino but I have yet to hear a suitable replacement for Gil suggested. Perhaps McDonough (sp?). However many names that get tossed out there are just craptastic ideas, like Tanguay or Meterparrel, or they are not realistic because they have other national gigs and/or are employed in other markets in other sports. Dave Simms, who some have suggested, fall into this category.

Listening to other teams local play by play either through Sirius or the NFL App is eye (and ear) opening. So many, I'd argue too many, broadcasting teams are blind homers who provide too much style in place of substance. Yelling replaces knowledge. Imagine your typical sports talk show blowhard trying to do play by play and give analysis. It can be mind numbing. Would you rather a lot of "whoo hoo look at him go! Yeah baby! Yeah!"? Because that is what most team's pbp teams are now a days.

The errors are frustrating, I get that and the times (like later this afternoon) when I will have to listen to the game on the way to church, I would rather be certain that it was Wes Welker and not Danny Woodhead who caught the ball but, just like the product on the field, the booth is IMO better than most of their league brethren.

Not a topic foreign to posters here, but did that need to be a whole article and the front of Boston.com? These Globe writers are like "Housewives of Patriots Place." Gossip and drama.

I always loved Gil's enthusiasm, but he is no longer an effective radio play-by-play guy. You don't really know what is going on in the play until he finishes his stuttering and pausing. Oddly, he tends to describe what happened after the play, instead of during the play. He's a bad tv play-by-play announcer. You don't know what is happening during the play.

"Brady throws...and..it's...caught!<pause> Gronkowski has it. And he...he's down at the 30."

Then after the play, he says what he could have said during his play-by-play.

But really, is that all the professional sportswriter has to write about?

That is broadcasting 101. Stick to the important details as they are happening, who threw/ran/caught the ball, who tackled them and where. Then, after the play, fill in with the details. A typical play call would look like this:

"Brady receives the shot gun snap, he looks, fires to the right and it is caught out across the 35 yardline by Wes Welker where he is run out of bounds by the Dolphins."

He and Gino follow that up with what unfolded during the play and why. Gil still does this adequately well despite missing players names at times.

As others have pointed out, this topic does come up occasionally and did so just a few weeks ago. I agree with Deb that you need to be careful what you wish for.

I could live with Zo over Gino but I have yet to hear a suitable replacement for Gil suggested. Perhaps McDonough (sp?). However many names that get tossed out there are just craptastic ideas, like Tanguay or Meterparrel, or they are not realistic because they have other national gigs and/or are employed in other markets in other sports. Dave Simms, who some have suggested, fall into this category.

Listening to other teams local play by play either through Sirius or the NFL App is eye (and ear) opening. So many, I'd argue too many, broadcasting teams are blind homers who provide too much style in place of substance. Yelling replaces knowledge. Imagine your typical sports talk show blowhard trying to do play by play and give analysis. It can be mind numbing. Would you rather a lot of "whoo hoo look at him go! Yeah baby! Yeah!"? Because that is what most team's pbp teams are now a days.

The errors are frustrating, I get that and the times (like later this afternoon) when I will have to listen to the game on the way to church, I would rather be certain that it was Wes Welker and not Danny Woodhead who caught the ball but, just like the product on the field, the booth is IMO better than most of their league brethren.

The situation with the broadcast team is a little like when the ADHD contingent here wanted Bill to move on from the too old and slow defense here...and then really didn't like what they got in it's place.

I keep hearing Tanguay who is an egotistical card carrying member of the Felger lifts all boats school of sports media relevance contingent on Comcast. These clowns don't know how to detach themselves from their idiotic peers. Even Zo suffers from association disorder whenever Gresh is around or on All Access when they team him up with another lightweight like Fauria or Burton.

And the McDonough contingent, don't know what they could be thinking. What an insufferably egotistical little twit he grew up to be. All his daddy's worst traits plus a ton of baggage and a skin too thin to bear it. Been there, done that back in my Sox days. No thanks.

Chad Finn has been jonesing for the 98.5 crew since their ESPN days. This was clearly a hatchet job to gauge the support for his POV. Seems there isn't nearly as much as he presumes.

He and Gino follow that up with what unfolded during the play and why. Gil still does this adequately well despite missing players names at times.

Disagree. During the play, he freezes. Then after the play, he says what he should have said during the play. Something as simple as "breaks a tackle" and where the ball was caught is left out of the play-by-play because he can't process it. Listening to his play-by-play is a game of who?, what? and where?

And the McDonough contingent, don't know what they could be thinking. What an insufferably egotistical little twit he grew up to be. All his daddy's worst traits plus a ton of baggage and a skin too thin to bear it. Been there, done that back in my Sox days. No thanks.

I don't see the egotistical twit part of him. Since his mistake of not taking the Mets job and subsequent career of mostly college broadcasting, I find him the most professional broadcaster around. Always completely prepared. Makes it about the game and not him.

He won't be in the Patriots future with all baggage you mention. I think I agree with you on Zo, he goes from being clear, analytical and funny to a Felger/Orway-ish db depending upon the situation. Interesting angle on the Finn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore