PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hit job on Gil & Gino by Chad Finn today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gino is 77 years old. How many of us could expect to hold onto our lively hood/profession for that long without being pushed out by a more capable replacement.

They have been blessed. It's time to go.

Imagine how much he has in his 401k.:eek:

boyz.jpg

Personally, I think it would be better to bring in some local fresh faces who have never been affiliated with the team but are knowledgeable about football. Personally, I can't stand Zolak. The times I've heard him, he's sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard and just as dry..

The idea that only former football players have the ability to announce games is just silly. A younger voice who can show the same dignity and professionalism as Gino but with their own flair is what is needed.

I think football players can do excellent "color".. not much confidence in play by play.

In typical a--holeish Globe fashion, Chad Finn executes a Christmas drive-by on Gil & Gino today.

Now, to be fair there's much truth in the article and I also think that it's time for Gino to go. But geez -- how about waiting until the season's over for the hit piece?

And while I believe I can live with Zolak on color, if Idiot Tanguay replaces Gil, I think I'd rather listen to the opposing team's radio broadcast.

This is my concern.....who exactly would you replace Gil with? I too could not listen to Tanguay....who else from that insufferable station? No one. Be careful what you wish for. I like having a broadcast teams who are also FANS of the team. Nationally, no, but locally - I want people with an affilation and affection for the hometown team. No "younger" mediots who take great pleasure is making themselves the story and have learned that being a negative a@@hole creates buzz. Uh-uh, I want exactly what we have. Gil and Gino. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Actually that's a great idea. McDonough has the pipes, the experience, the professionalism, and the Boston roots. It would be a great segue from Gill and Geno and much better than some of the names already mentioned.

McDonough? Can you count on him being sober?

Uh-uh, I want exactly what we have. Gil and Gino. Thank you very much.

But you can't have it forever. Even if they got every player's name right or call correctly, time will catch up to everybody.

I'm a nostalgic guy, listening to Gil and Gino, makes me think of Championships. Living in NY, I only get to hear them when I buy Patriot's Championship DVDs or when I download game highlights from iTunes. I really enjoy their work, even though I do hear their mistakes, I can handle the mistakes, because I like their work. I hope they are around for a couple more years calling the games (Including, God willing, an NFL Championship Game).

But you can't have it forever. Even if they got every player's name right or call correctly, time will catch up to everybody.

I'll stick with them 'till one of 'em dies or retires of their own accord. The Globe is a patsy for the Boston Red Sox.....F them.

This will go down as the Chad Finn Christmas Eve Massacre of 2011....the Globe gets some pub and clicks from this....

Sean McD is locked up with ESPN. For everyone talking about Tang-gay isnt he pining for Mike Gorman to croak so he can do the Celtics TV games?

Both Celts and Pats need to ease their announcers out within the next year or so. I suspect both teams know it also.

Put Zolak with somebody else- not Tiny Tanguay for The Pats job.

I have not listened to a Patriots game on the radio in at least 10 years. Nothing against Gil and Gino, Just curious unless you have a job where you have to work weekends why would anyone listen to them on the radio ?

Article was respectful and not a hit job... Gino definitely needs to go. Gil is OK, except for his long delays in telling you who carried/caught the ball. They are both legends... but even Tom Brady one day will retire from football.

It is a delicate situation. My feelings are mixed but in my opinion in the end it does depend on how well the announcers can still do their job. They need to provide value to the audience. When they stop doing that they need to go.

Towards the end, Ken Coleman and Ned Martin were brutal. Their exits were not handled well.

However Johnny Most and Fred Cusick were still very good, not their prime, but still very good. Their exits were kinda-sorta graceful with Most having health issues at the end and Cusick gently nudged out the door but done with respect.

We can all agree that Gil and Geno are near the end and their in-game work is a bit lacking in accuracy and insight. I just hope that their exit is graceful, respectful and that a solid team is put in place that can come close to what their brought to Pats fans in their prime.

Last edited:
I have not listened to a Patriots game on the radio in at least 10 years. Nothing against Gil and Gino, Just curious unless you have a job where you have to work weekends why would anyone listen to them on the radio ?

Some people like to sync up the radio to the game on TV so they don't have to listen to the inanity that stumbles from the likes of Dan Dierdorf.

cbs???????

Yes CBS owns 98.5 the Sports Hub which has the Patriots radio rights. So CBS Radio will have a say in who replaces Gil and Gino.

Gil and Gino have had amazing careers and their place in Patriot history is forever sealed with their call/reaction to Adam's FG in the '01 SB........but its time to go.

As nostalgic a person as I am and loved Gil and Gino over the years, its time. I had to listen to the second half of the Skins game in my car and if it wasnt for Zolak I wouldnt have an idea of what the hell was going on. They're obviously grooming Zo for one of the jobs, hopefully they find someone good to go along with him.
This isnt a once in a while thing with Gil, just about every play he fumbles around for the name of who ran the ball or who caught the ball or who made the tackle, it was painful to listen to.

In typical a--holeish Globe fashion, Chad Finn executes a Christmas drive-by on Gil & Gino today.

Now, to be fair there's much truth in the article and I also think that it's time for Gino to go. But geez -- how about waiting until the season's over for the hit piece?

And while I believe I can live with Zolak on color, if Idiot Tanguay replaces Gil, I think I'd rather listen to the opposing team's radio broadcast.

This is no doubt news to G & G. Certainly they've faced the criticism before. They must love their jobs and probably plan to continue until they are unable to physically travel to the stadiums. Getting crapped on right before Christmas does suck. After 22 years with the same company, I got hit with a 3 month layoff last week. It's puts a damper on holiday spirits. Anybody need a safety manager, DOT compliance officer, live audio engineer or all three? :(

On the way back from picking up the halftime take out food ... and the food wasn't ready. :mad::mad::mad:

For YEARS, I used to watch ENTIRE GAMES with the TV muted, for these reasons:

1 ~ Most of the TV guys don't know CRAP.

2 ~ Most of the TV guys spew endless drivel.

3 ~ Most of the TV guys seem to hate the Patriots, these days.

4 ~ Gino + Gil, in their prime, were the ANTITHESIS of all the above.

5 ~ A radio guy, by his very job definition, needs to be FAR more detailed and informative than a TV guy, for obvious reasons: Nobody in his target audience is in front of a TV!! :eek: That makes their renditions far richer and enlightening than those of TV guys...And Gino + Gil once illustrated that point emphatically.

Sadly, that is no longer the case.

Frankly, I now find them as annoying as the TV guys.

But I shudder at the idea of Zolak, Tangueray, or Feltcher stepping in. :mad:

Get Jay52 + MaineMan on the mikes and my TV goes on "Mute" for the next 3 hours.

The Pats win the Super Bowl...and Gil & Gino (together) exit gracefully...

That's my gameplan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore