PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hernandez rents house in Cali

Status
Not open for further replies.
where is this "Mons Venus" and how do I apply???

B) live there 6 months plus a day and Cali will have a say in that matter

That's the test for residency. You can and will be taxed as a non-resident and there's no minimum stay requirement.

States tax non-residents based on what they earn while in the state. That's why NH residents who work over the line in MA pay income tax to MA even if they've never spent a night in MA. Ditto for athletes, musicians, etc. When the Patriots play a game in California, California gets to tax the game check all the non-Cali players earn that day.

Technically that's true for peons like us but (1) California (or whatever state) has no idea when we are in the state and so can't enforce it, and (2) for the vast majority of us, several days' work wouldn't be enough income to be taxable because of exemptions, thresholds, etc.

A) It's winter
C) Athletes are moving out of Cali, not in, due to the state's progressive tax code
D) Slightly off topic...but revenue needy states are changing the laws to claim more tax revenue from part time residents. Minnesota's governor wants the threshold to be 2 months. Own a lake house in Minn. and spend the summer, the Gov. wants a piece of that action.
The rich are fleeing Cali, NY, IL, Maryland all because these cash strapped states won't make cuts. Texas says thank you. Lesson over
So does Florida.

Cali will bleed the Bradys dry before its over.

That's the test for residency. You can and will be taxed as a non-resident and there's no minimum stay requirement.

States tax non-residents based on what they earn while in the state. That's why NH residents who work over the line in MA pay income tax to MA even if they've never spent a night in MA. Ditto for athletes, musicians, etc. When the Patriots play a game in California, California gets to tax the game check all the non-Cali players earn that day.

Technically that's true for peons like us but (1) California (or whatever state) has no idea when we are in the state and so can't enforce it, and (2) for the vast majority of us, several days' work wouldn't be enough income to be taxable because of exemptions, thresholds, etc.

OTOH, many states (though I can't say all) have reciprocity agreements. For example, since I sometimes worked in NY while living in CT, I had to pay income taxes to NY (as a non-resident) but could count them against my CT taxes.

All sounds positive to me.

I was under the impression that athletes were taxed on a pro-rated amount dependent on the state (and city or county in some cases) that corresponded to their team's schedule. For example an NFL player receives 16 game checks; 8 taxed locally (Foxboro), one in Seattle WA, one in Buffalo NY, one in Miami FL, etc.

Is that the same thing, or something different?

Yes, the same thing. NFL players only receive their "normal" salary paychecks during the season so it's pretty easy to allocate to the tax jurisdiction of each game location.

This is good that Hernandez is working out with Brady. Hopefully Edelman and Welker will be there as well..

Yea, this is the guy who came out of college with "character concerns." How wrong they were.

It was nothing to do with his character, it had everything to do with his testing positive for marijuana. I still will never understand why they test for THC, if I was a football player I would WANT the opposing team to be smoking it up all the time. It is not a performance enhancer in any sense of the word, so who cares who is smoking it and who isn't? No one would even know if they didn't test them for it and then announce to the world that they tested positive.

If teams want to test their players for personal reasons then they should, but for the NFL to test and punish for it the same as someone using Steroids, HGH or other PEDs is ridiculous.

I love reading this though, its good to know that Hernandez is going to be in it to win it next year. He probably also knows that if Welker goes, AHern is going to have to step up big and replace his production from the slot, along with Edelman.

When they start their workouts, I hope all the receivers and tight ends make it out to Cali to work together. That's the kind of stuff that Manning did with Wayne and Harrison all the time, thats what Branch was doing in his prime here and thats what Welker has done a lot too.

Already excited for next year and we haven't even got to FA or the draft yet!

I mentioned this in the Draft Forum where they have a WR thread going.

I wonder if the team is thinking about moving Hernandez to WR on a permanent basis. He fits the bill as a "TALL" WR with excellent speed. He can run all the routes. And him being out in Cali and working with Brady could allow him to do that..

Then the Pats could use a later round pick on another TE with the hope of that TE working in with Hoomanawanui, Ballard and Gronk..

Good for him. AH is showing a maturity and dedication we're not seeing with Gronkowski. I've been one of AH's biggest critics on this board but this move tells me he wants to dedicate himself to becoming a better player and that is always a positive thing.

Good for him. AH is showing a maturity and dedication we're not seeing with Gronkowski. I've been one of AH's biggest critics on this board but this move tells me he wants to dedicate himself to becoming a better player and that is always a positive thing.

Summering in a bachelor pad in Manhattan Beach is not the greatest sacrifice a man has ever made for his work.

Edit: Oh, wait -- it's late winter/early spring. That makes it even better for him. :)

Summering in a bachelor pad in Manhattan Beach is not the greatest sacrifice a man has ever made for his work.

Just a hunch but somehow I don't think he's leaving his fiance and new baby daughter behind.

A) It's winter
C) Athletes are moving out of Cali, not in, due to the state's progressive tax code
D) Slightly off topic...but revenue needy states are changing the laws to claim more tax revenue from part time residents. Minnesota's governor wants the threshold to be 2 months. Own a lake house in Minn. and spend the summer, the Gov. wants a piece of that action.
The rich are fleeing Cali, NY, IL, Maryland all because these cash strapped states won't make cuts. Texas says thank you. Lesson over

The loopholes are there. They'll find them if they're smaht.

I mentioned this in the Draft Forum where they have a WR thread going.

I wonder if the team is thinking about moving Hernandez to WR on a permanent basis. He fits the bill as a "TALL" WR with excellent speed. He can run all the routes. And him being out in Cali and working with Brady could allow him to do that..

Then the Pats could use a later round pick on another TE with the hope of that TE working in with Hoomanawanui, Ballard and Gronk..

Interesting idea. It could work.

How do you know Gronk won't be there? He may not even have to be there, he has this offense down pat when he's healthy.. Hernandez might have his role expanded a lot next year if Welker moves on in FA.. He will need the extra time with Brady to learn the subtelties of the offense the way Welker knew them.

It doesn't get as good as Gronk as far as tight ends go. He broke records his rookie year, he broke records in his 2nd year, and he was doing well this year until he had a freak broken forearm. Gronk is not a problem for this team, it makes me laugh at how crazy people are getting because of 1 video where he was dancing and having fun with a friend.

Good for Hernandez. This shows maturity and dedication, the total opposite of Gronk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye