PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Henry: Red Sox "not a factor" for Teixeira

NE_PATS_FAN_54

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Henry: 'We are not going to be a factor' for Teixeira - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog

Red Sox owner John Henry e-mailed several media members late tonight with a stunning twist in the team's pursuit of free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira.

Henry's words: "We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him. After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor."
Earlier tonight, multiple news outlets reported the Red Sox had traveled to Texas to meet with Teixeira and his agent, Scott Boras, in the hopes of trying to finalize a deal. WCVB-TV Channel 5 reported that the Red Sox had offered Teixeira an eight-year deal worth $184 million (an average of $23 million per season).

Five teams have been in the hunt for Teixeira to some extent -- the Sox, Angels, Yankees, Orioles, and Nationals -- and all indications had been pointing to the Red Sox as the frontrunners.

Henry's reference to the "other offers" leaves open the possibility he is calling the bluff of Boras, who has been known to inflate the value of offers and the number of suitors pursuing his client. Boras represented former Red Sox center fielder Johnny Damon, who signed with the New York Yankees in 2005 after the Boston brass apparently refused to believe that the offer from their archrivals was real.

Earlier this week, Henry had expressed concern about granting a player a contract of eight years or more.

"We all have limits," he wrote the AP on Wednesday. "Eight years is a very long time in baseball and everywhere else."

He also said the amount the team is willing to spend on a free agent "depends on both" the economy and the player being sought.

"Baseball as a whole has not yet been hit by the financial crisis, but it will," Henry said. "The degree is in question and won't be answered for a while."

Additionally, Henry wrote in an e-mail to the Herald that the Red Sox would not give a 10-year contract to any free agent.

Teixeira hit .308 with 33 homers and 121 RBIs last season, including .358 with 13 homers and 43 RBIs in 54 games with the Angels.

Good, I am glad, Boras can go **** himself, 8 years, 23 mill per is not enough? Are you kidding? This asshat wants a 10 year deal?

Look, I fully understand these POS agents are out for one thing and one thing only, the most M-O-N-E-Y for both himself and the client, that is his job. If the worst team in baseball gave this guy the biggest offer and he'd be miserable there, no doubt Boras would con him into going, it's not the players happiness that Boras cares about, it's how much is in it for HIM, the douchebag that he is.

Is this sh!thead tuned it to what is going on currently in this country? The economy is in the toilet, will get worse before it gets better, yet he seems clueless. As Mr Henry points out, baseball will be effected by the economy, to what degree noone knows for sure.

Bottom line is enough is enough, these guys don't live in the real world, they live in a fantasy world and the fantasy is about to end real soon.

I hope all offers get pulled from the table and the douchebag has to go crawling back to Anaheim begging them to sign the guy.

Sports agents=pond scum, parasites, ****roaches, they are THE most useless humans on the planet.

i

"however, it seems clear "

Those seem like very carefully chosen words to me. If Henry was truly pulling out, he wouldn't have said anything, because signaling that the red sox are not a factor lowers the market price.

This seems like they're trying to call a suspected bluff, IE, its actually "If you have such better offers, take them, but we think you're just making it up"

i dont care what the guy does. the sox dont need him. they are going to be good next year regardless. i would be much happier to see the sox bring d lowe back.

I bet that this is just hardball negotiating on the Sox. Next year Tex will be in a Red Sox uniform. If not, that's OK their pitching staff may be the best in baseball.

i dont care what the guy does. the sox dont need him. they are going to be good next year regardless. i would be much happier to see the sox bring d lowe back.

Everyone knows this trade isn't about this season - its about the following season. The help next season is just a bonus.

To truly judge whether Teixeira is worth going after you need to say who you think the better alternative in free agency is for next season. It seems that Theo thinks that Teixeira is at least as good as the other options or else they wouldn't be interested in Teixeira.

So who do you prefer next season that has you convinced they're better than Teixeira?

Last edited:
"however, it seems clear "

Those seem like very carefully chosen words to me. If Henry was truly pulling out, he wouldn't have said anything, because signaling that the red sox are not a factor lowers the market price.

This seems like they're trying to call a suspected bluff, IE, its actually "If you have such better offers, take them, but we think you're just making it up"
Henry is also letting the other teams know that if Borass tells you that the RSox uped the anti hes obviously lying. That way he can't play his game of playing one team of the other the scumbag.

Last edited:
Everyone knows this trade isn't about this season - its about the following season. The help next season is just a bonus.

To truly judge whether Teixeira is worth going after you need to say who you think the better alternative in free agency is for next season. It seems that Theo thinks that Teixeira is at least as good as the other options or else they wouldn't be interested in Teixeira.

So who do you prefer next season that has you convinced they're better than Teixeira?
i understand why the sox are trying to sign the guy. i think its a good move but i just dont think its a move based on need. if they get him great. if not so what we keep the WS mvp for another two years. to me the question is who will they get when lowell's contract is up in two years. i cant give you a name. but getting position players via free agency or thru a trade shouldn't be that difficult considering how strong the farm system is and the resources the team has.

Last edited:
i understand why the sox are trying to sign the guy. i think its a good move but i just dont think its a move based on need. if they get him great. if not so what we keep the WS mvp for another two years. to me the question is who will they get when lowell's contract is up in two years. i cant give you a name. but getting position players via free agency or thru a trade shouldn't be that difficult considering how strong the farm system is and the resources the team has.

Again - its not a move based on need for this coming season, but for next season.

No one questions there's a need next season. Bay's contract is up, Ortiz is that much older (with current concerns for his health and productivity already creeping in).

So it IS a move based on need, just not for this current season.

Again - its not a move based on need for this coming season, but for next season.

No one questions there's a need next season. Bay's contract is up, Ortiz is that much older (with current concerns for his health and productivity already creeping in).

So it IS a move based on need, just not for this current season.
i dont think its a move they need to make period. its only a need for next season if they cant sign bay. like i said with the state of the sox farm system and there resources[money] they will be just fine without teixeira. they have plenty of young talent they could move in a trade or they can sign another free agent when lowell is gone in two years. i dont think signing teixeira makes or breaks the redsox.

i dont think its a move they need to make period. its only a need for next season if they cant sign bay. like i said with the state of the sox farm system and there resources[money] they will be just fine without teixeira. they have plenty of young talent they could move in a trade or they can sign another free agent when lowell is gone in two years. i dont think signing teixeira makes or breaks the redsox.

Well, let's just say that majority of the front office of a team that has won two World Series rings in the last several years disagrees with you.

Their assessment of the free agents in 2010 is what prompted them to make Teixeira the offer they did, and having followed this team for a long time, I've never seem them offer a player they think they don't need $180 million dollars.

Last edited:
Well, let's just say that majority of the front office of a team that has won two World Series rings in the last several years disagrees with you.

Their assessment of the free agents in 2010 is what prompted them to make Teixeira the offer they did, and having followed this team for a long time, I've never seem them offer a player they think they don't need $180 million dollars.
i agree with what they are trying to do. it makes sense but i dont think they need him. i think its a luxury move. they can still win a WS without teixeira. the angels added teixeira and still lost in the first round. i guarantee you they have a plan b if they dont get him. they also thought they needed arod. how did that work out? i love the sox front office but they arent right all the time? you following the team like you say you have know that all to well.

Last edited:
i agree with what they are trying to do. it makes sense but i dont think they need him. i think its a luxury move. they can still win a WS without teixeira. the angels added teixeira and still lost in the first round. i guarantee you they have a plan b if they dont get him. they also thought they needed arod. how did that work out? i love the sox front office but they arent right all the time? you following the team like you say you have know that all to well.

I'm not sure it would be considered a "luxury move" for 2010 when Bay is a free agent and Oritiz has another year of wear and tear on an already worn body.

I think its FAR too soon to say that the sox can win a WS in 2010 without Bay, potentially without Ortiz and without Teixeira or a player of his caliber.

While there's always a Plan B, Plan B is usually not deemed as desireable as Plan A (hence the name) and it seems obvious by the Sox's interest in signing Teixiera in 2009 that, not only do they believe he's the best player to fill their need in 2010 - they feel that strongly enough that they'd be willing to sign him to fill that need a year early, and pay a total of $180+ million to do so.

The bottom line is the Red Sox front office is smart enough not to just look beyond 2009 when assessing "need" of the team.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it would be considered a "luxury move" for 2010 when Bay is a free agent and Oritiz has another year of wear and tear on an already worn body.

I think its FAR too soon to say that the sox can win a WS in 2010 without Bay, potentially without Ortiz and without Teixeira or a player of his caliber.

While there's always a Plan B, Plan B is usually not deemed as desireable as Plan A (hence the name) and it seems obvious by the Sox's interest in signing Teixiera in 2009 that, not only do they believe he's the best player to fill their need in 2010 - they feel that strongly enough that they'd be willing to sign him to fill that need a year early, and pay a total of $180+ million to do so.

The bottom line is the Red Sox front office is smart enough not to just look beyond 2009 when assessing "need" of the team.
i think the sox fo just likes teixeira a lot. hes there kind of player. just like jd drew. they identify players that fit there philosophy and they go after them. they are dealing from a position of strength not need. they dont have to have him to have a WS caliber team down the road.
. sometimes plan b ends up being better than plan a. are you saying the redsox cant win a WS without teixeira? bottom line is if the redsox need teixeira so desperately they would just give him whatever he wants. i have confidence in a front office that has won two WS to be able to put together a championship team without MR T. and if thats true then they dont need him.

Last edited:
Heard this late Saturday afternoon, again: The Yankees made an offer, but it's now off the table. They want to cut payroll and, basically, they cannot do this if they sign Teixeira.
Heard this from a party who has been in recent contact with the Nationals' front office: They absolutely do not expect to win the bidding for Mark Teixeira.
Olney - ESPN
The Angels are out of the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes.

The team has withdrawn its offer to the free-agent slugger, according to a source close to the negotiations.
Rosenthal - FOXSports

So over the course of three days the Red Sox, Yankees, Nationals and Angels have all declared themselves out of the Teixiera market, or unlikely to sign him. Not saying this is Anti-Boras collusion, but thats some odd stuff to hear at this point in the negotiations.

Olney - ESPNRosenthal - FOXSports

So over the course of three days the Red Sox, Yankees, Nationals and Angels have all declared themselves out of the Teixiera market, or unlikely to sign him. Not saying this is Anti-Boras collusion, but thats some odd stuff to hear at this point in the negotiations.
im sick and tired of hearing about it. sh!t or get of the pot already.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back