PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Helmet Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
The helmet can only do so much. It's the inertia effect your brain takes on that causes it. If you look at the Jackson vs Robinson hit Jackson got a concussion and his head wasn't even touched.

There are helmets out there there help prevent concussions. There are mouthpieces that also help prevent concussions. Players don't like change. That's why many don't want to go to them.

However, there is a reality that people over-look. Anytime you have a human head got from full speed to stopped in less than a 1/10th of a second, there is the potential for a concussion. Why? Because a concussion is the brain hitting the inside of your skull. And your brain is surrounded by fluid and it moves when you hit something or something hits your head.

One of the reasons they moved to the harder helmets is as was mentioned. To reduce the damage potential to the neck/spine. Is it still there? Yes. But it's nothing compared to what it used to be.

Football is a contact sport. There will always be injuries. Always. You can't stop them. You can only hope to minimize them. But the league does need to do more and needs to be pro-active in doing more.

Anti-Concussion Football Helmets Not Fully Enforced By NFL, NCAA, or U.S. High Schools | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

The above link is to an article about an anti-concussion helmet that Riddell has produced however it is not being endorsed by the NFL, NCAA, or even High Schools at this point. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me!

Here we are, more than 3 years after that article was written, and we are no closer to the NFL, NCAA, or even High School ball having any sort of mandate for helmets.

And it's not like there aren't other helmets that could be used. In fact, a quick search found that SCHUTT makes a helmet they claim that is even safer than the Riddell Revolution mentioned in the article and it is the same size as the "traditional" helmets players supposedly like.

So, from what I can find, there are actually 4 different "anti-concussion" helmets on the Market. 2 are from Riddell, one from Schutt and one from Xenith. 2 are the "large stand-off helmet" style (The Riddell Revolution and the Xenith) and 2 are the traditional style helmets (Schutt and Riddell VSR-4).

That being said, I don't know if SCHUTT is on the NFL preferred vendors list. If they aren't, then the NFL has some explaining to do.

Here we are, more than 3 years after that article was written, and we are no closer to the NFL, NCAA, or even High School ball having any sort of mandate for helmets.

And it's not like there aren't other helmets that could be used. In fact, a quick search found that SCHUTT makes a helmet they claim that is even safer than the Riddell Revolution mentioned in the article and it is the same size as the "traditional" helmets players supposedly like.

So, from what I can find, there are actually 4 different "anti-concussion" helmets on the Market. 2 are from Riddell, one from Schutt and one from Xenith. 2 are the "large stand-off helmet" style (The Riddell Revolution and the Xenith) and 2 are the traditional style helmets (Schutt and Riddell VSR-4).

That being said, I don't know if SCHUTT is on the NFL preferred vendors list. If they aren't, then the NFL has some explaining to do.

Schutt are worn by many players in the NFL they supplied all of the giants helmets 2 years back and I can think of several player in the league wearing the helmets they make. LT(xp), Reggie Bush(xp), Eli Manning(now wears the dna since the preseason injury) and Chad Ochocinco(ion4d)

Typically high schools use helmets for ten years or even longer (though that is against the manufacturer's recommendations). Mandating that all high schools buy the new style of helmet would put an unbelievable strain on school districts and the marketplace.

Most schools with the budget to buy new helmets are simply replacing old helmets with the new style helmets when the old helmets fail reconditioning checks. Usually the new helmets are prioritized to concussion-prone players.

I think they should design new helmets with butterflies and lady bugs on them.

:rofl:

FF_423042_xl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results