PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football Cleat Technology

Jim Beankie

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm not sure if any of y'all have noticed, but world records in Track and Field have been falling left and right due to carbon plate shoe technology for long sprints and distance. These shoes can be silly expensive ($250 for a pair). The recent shockingly shattered Women's WR in the 100m hurdles (by someone who's my wife's height - a tiny 5'1") were run in spikes meant for 5-10km races (a lot of sprinters have been using long distance shoes because of improved performance). As someone who knows absolutely nothing about football cleats, I'm wondering if that has spilled over yet to the NFL. I have to guess it must, but it took me more than a few minutes to find maybe two of them (Nike Vapor Edge Elite 360 Flyknit or maybe Alpha Menace Elite for $200), so I dunno. Do teams provide cleats via a sponsor or do individual players get to choose their own brand/cleats? This tech improvement is basically like those high tech swim suits from over a decade ago that resulted in records just falling all over the place. If you're not on it, you're already a step behind. Plus, it can also alleviate fatigue over the course of a game because the Nike patent says the word "spring" in it a number of times.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if any of y'all have noticed, but world records in Track and Field have been falling left and right due to carbon plate shoe technology for long sprints and distance. These shoes can be silly expensive ($250 for a pair). The recent shockingly shattered Women's WR in the 100m hurdles (by someone who's my wife's height - a tiny 5'1") were run in spikes meant for 5-10km races (a lot of sprinters have been using long distance shoes because of improved performance). As someone who knows absolutely nothing about football cleats, I'm wondering if that has spilled over yet to the NFL. I have to guess it must, but it took me more than a few minutes to find maybe two of them (Nike Vapor Edge Elite 360 Flyknit or maybe Alpha Menace Elite for $200), so I dunno. Do teams provide cleats via a sponsor or do individual players get to choose their own brand/cleats? This tech improvement is basically like those high tech swim suits from over a decade ago that resulted in records just falling all over the place. If you're not on it, you're already a step behind. Plus, it can also alleviate fatigue over the course of a game because the Nike patent says the word "spring" in it a number of times.
We know they have to look uniform, there's a rule on that.

It sounds weird that in track and field, something that has different tech in it -- the "spring" word baffles me -- would be legal. I mean, bring back stickem, right?

So anyway, I went googling and found...
The most comprehensive studies have been conducted based on the Vaporflys. Nike’s claim that the shoes allow for the 4% improvement in the running economy was confirmed (here, here and here). Translated to running performance, this means 2-3% better finish times.

It's funny, linking up the carbon plate thing with "nfl" isn't turning up anything except this post on Patsfans. Seriously dude you are on page 1 of google results as of now.

Looking at the dissection video (above,) then looking at NFL cleats, what stands out is that the NFL cleats need to dig into the turf. It's just not a track meet. So I wonder if the technology is less valid when you're sinking the cleat into the ground on purpose instead of springing back with each step. If it's all about some sorta fancy "energy storage" maybe it would just drive the cleat in deeper on an NFL shoe. Idunno. If they're not coming to the NFL, that might be why.

I'm just the most bored and verbose guy here, not the smartest one. Okay I actually am the smartest one, but the rest of us suffer from the dunning-krueger effect and also think they are smart. Funny right?

advances in shoe tech? i'm sure if it can be applied to nfl cleats, they are using it...

and $250? sounds pretty cheap for a high tech shoe imo... but meh, they got the money

Last edited:
Looking at the dissection video (above,) then looking at NFL cleats, what stands out is that the NFL cleats need to dig into the turf. It's just not a track meet. So I wonder if the technology is less valid when you're sinking the cleat into the ground on purpose instead of springing back with each step. If it's all about some sorta fancy "energy storage" maybe it would just drive the cleat in deeper on an NFL shoe. Idunno. If they're not coming to the NFL, that might be why.
That's a great point. I occasionally still do sprints (regular shoes - not track spikes or cleats) on what I assume to be a top of the line artificial football turf that I have access to, and there is certainly a little more give even there. Once the ground starts getting harder in the winter, though, that's when the benefits would start to become more apparent with this "spring" technology. I personally haven't tried them yet because I feel like once I start using them, there's no going back.

There is mention of this in soccer which faces the same issues that you'd brought up:

Dang - a site like this exists:

Example:

Last edited:
I am kinda shocked with how low the price is ... A good pair of leather walking shoes costs over $300... Figured high performance cleats would cost more... It's not like Nike shoes are cheap...

So two things.

1) If Tyquan Thornton is already using something like this, how sad, some of that advantage might go away.
2) If he isn't, get him some, assuming the advantage translates to the NFL, because I want to see how Einstein's predictions hold up.

So two things.

1) If Tyquan Thornton is already using something like this, how sad, some of that advantage might go away.
2) If he isn't, get him some, assuming the advantage translates to the NFL, because I want to see how Einstein's predictions hold up.
It looks like he's wearing Adidas Adizero 11 (guessing) which I don't think has a carbon plate, but he could easily get it custom made with one if that's his sponsor, so no idea.

Interesting that something like DK's Nike Vapor Untouchable Pro 3 would have a carbon plate, but Jakobi's (based on pictures) Nike Vapor Untouchable Speed 3 wouldn't (assuming a non custom shoe). Then again, since the carbon plate usually is less compliant / stiffer, then switching could completely affect gait / timing / ability to cut / increase chance of injury.

I am kinda shocked with how low the price is ... A good pair of leather walking shoes costs over $300... Figured high performance cleats would cost more... It's not like Nike shoes are cheap...
I only live in running land, but before the carbon plate boom, good shoes would cost in the low to mid $100s, and when I was cranking out over 100 miles a week, I'd push them to the limit for 2-4 months before I'd have to get another pair. That adds up (although sometimes I'd luck out at the outlet with the shoe that I wanted and buy 5 pairs for a third that). These new carbon plate shoes are really only good for about 200-300 miles before they turn into pumpkins.

Football cleats have more to them than track spikes (as we used to call them).

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back