PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has the NFL caught up with Belichick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB's player selection is very dubious.......

this percieved of turning present draft picks into more later and future draft picks is pretty stupid.

Also is this idea that no pass rusher was worth drafting. Clay Matthews was obviously worth drafting. The fact that the pats did not has caused them to now change their entire defense (which happens to work worse than the one that they gave up on)

how did the pats defense go from having youth as the problem to looking so old?

I personally think the OP question is worded wrong. It should ask..."Has the NFL passed by BB?"
He has ignored the pass rush. He's been late to the party dealing with big WRs. He treats the running game as an inconvenience. His 2nd round defensive drafting has been schitzo and with the exception of Gronk, the surplus of #2s has yielded very little (I'm not getting all the Chung love except for ...he's the best they got). He doesn't scheme a pass rush. I'm not seeing any O line creativity to enhance the running game. Having just 1 TE on the active roster is gonna get Gronk killed. Expecting a bunch of aging war horse DT/DEs to last 16 games and create a pass rush in the 4th qtr defies logic. His coaching staff clearly takes a subserviant role.
I won't even touch the existing parts that were already on the team when BB arrived, but alot of those guys were the playmaker/difference makers for those great Ds. Where are the defensive difference makers now, despite having twice as many quality draft picks as any other team? How can this defense run by the great defensive guru that BB is, having so many extra #1s and #2s be this horrible.
Sorry...I'm not a hater. I love all the wins BB racks up. But I can can say this with a clear conscience...right now, It's all about Brady.

The Clay Matthews thing is old dude. Without even getting into how he would be, at best, a situational sub rusher here.

Looks like we needed some situational sub-rushing yesterday, no?

The only problem I see is BB tries to do too much himself. Bring in a proper GM, offensive coordinator who actually has a clue (BoB is college level, at best) and a defensive coordinator.

The defense DOES have some talent on it, but when you play vanilla schemes in a pass happy league, you're going to get abused.

So after cherry picking all the negatives while ignoring as many positives as possible, how do you explain why the Pats have not fallen off the map like other SB participants such as the Rams, Bucs, Raiders, Cardinals, Panthers, Colts, etc.?

How so? The guy listed the hits BB has had in recent drafts. If he listed only the busts you'd have a point.

and I would assume that the logical thing to do following that line of thought is to trade up for dominant pass rushers?

Unfortunately for every Gronkowski Belichick drafts,there are 2 Darius Butlers

How so? The guy listed the hits BB has had in recent drafts. If he listed only the busts you'd have a point.

These guys are still stuck in 2003/2004 timewarp, with a warped mindset. In this upsidedown world everything BB touches is gold, and questioning his record is not allowed

Merriwhether, since he made "Probowls" is not a bust, eventhough he could not finish his rookie contract. So, who is evaluating or picking these players ?

The one time he develops a decent DB, in Samuel he is allowed to walk and in comes Elliss Hobbs and Duane Starks, ...was anyone surprised by these results ?

anyhow, when presented with facts, as expected crickets started chirping or the conversation moves to how "other" teams have drafted or fared in their drafts. Ofcourse, conveniently facts will be overlooked that year after year Patriots have most # picks(and to his credit BB has done good job of fleecing picks from other teams). However, his drafting record is absolutely abysmal despite loading up with so many picks. all this translates to year after year of defense that is unable to pressure opposing QB's, can't stop 3rd downs, and lives off Brady's arm to bail them out every year.

Should i read anything after the first page of this thread or is the rest of it as just as ignorant?

Seriously folks, those who actually believe this crap should root solely for the UConn womens basketball team because they only lose every few years, although they too failed to win the big one last year so they suck as well.

Simply unbelievable, the Patriots may have the biggest fairweather fanbase in all of sports.

Last edited:
Simply unbelievable, the Patriots may have the biggest fairweather fanbase in all of sports.

Or maybe they have justifiably high expectations that aren't being met, the Bills didnt beat us yesterday, we played like garbage and gave the game to them.

Last edited:
Should i read anything after the first page of this thread or is the rest of it as just as ignorant?

Seriously folks, those who actually believe this crap should root solely for the UConn womens basketball team because they only lose every few years, although they too failed to win the big one last year so they suck as well.

Being a fan does not mean you have to be a fanboy.

The question is whether that is an acceptable ratio for second rounders.

Unfortunately for every Gronkowski Belichick drafts,there are 2 Darius Butlers

Or maybe they have justifiably high expectations that aren't being met, the Bills didnt beat us yesterday, we played like garbage and gave the game to them.

Last year was the Cleveland game and the year before...and the year before that there was one...and the year before that....

Hell even in 2007 regular season we should have lost the Ravens game,only a miracle pulled our asses out of that game for the win.

The bottom line is every year there will be a stinker or two....this game was one of them.

Don't bother. The doom and gloomers that only show up after a loss are venting, and if you have a rational response it will simply be ignored. Post #112 a page back would be an example, in response to the same guy who is using - I kid you not - Ray Agnew and Chris Singleton to back up his draft strategy theory.

Apparently every draft pick by other teams is a future hall of famer, everyone here can draft better than the Patriots do, and the team would be 0-16 every season if they didn't have Tom Brady at QB.

I am convinced many here would find a great deal to complain about that team as well.

You just nailed it.

Whether it's due to the success from 01 to 04, the lopsided victories in 07, or something else, I think in general we may have the most spoiled fans of any team sport, who are completely out of touch with reality due to their unrealistic expectations.

The game has passed BB by and he should do the honorable thing and resign.:rolleyes:

Don't bother. The doom and gloomers that only show up after a loss are venting, and if you have a rational response it will simply be ignored. Post #112 a page back would be an example, in response to the same guy who is using - I kid you not - Ray Agnew and Chris Singleton to back up his draft strategy theory.

Apparently every draft pick by other teams is a future hall of famer, everyone here can draft better than the Patriots do, and the team would be 0-16 every season if they didn't have Tom Brady at QB.

I am convinced many here would find a great deal to complain about that team as well.

You just nailed it.

Whether it's due to the success from 01 to 04, the lopsided victories in 07, or something else, I think in general we may have the most spoiled fans of any team sport, who are completely out of touch with reality due to their unrealistic expectations.

It's about the same everywhere. I'm a regular on a MSU forum, you should have seen everyone after the ND loss.

When I said he was cherry picking, I'm referring to the stale game of 20-20 draft hindsight; you know, the one where somebody says 'look, the team drafted this guy when that guy was available' years after a draft takes place. As Sciz pointed out, you could do the same thing for every NFL team in almost every draft as "proof" that they draft poorly. Since he's not doing the same thing for other NFL teams it is an invalid argument. Without any context we don't know what number of 'hits' and 'busts' per year is the norm, what is above average, or what is below average.

He also implied several other teams draft vastly superior than the Patriots do. I took the time to go through the drafts of the first team he mentioned to show that they have just as many, if not more draft 'busts'; not surprisingly there was no response since that data doesn't fit his agenda.

It's about the same everywhere. I'm a regular on a MSU forum, you should have seen everyone after the ND loss.

I guess I was just thinking about pro sports. Fans of college sports can indeed get more passionate / irrational, especially after a loss to a rival.

If the NFL has caught up with Belichick then they must have lapped themselves.

You just nailed it.

There is also the other angle for the frustration. Knowing that the best HC/QB combo's window is on the wrong side of the age / burnout curve, we have not done a single thing to improve the D. Bargain hunting (aka) veterans on wrong side of 30 usually works only for some time before the wheels start coming off, convenienty during play off games

see the issue is we are still a very good team with a HOF GOAT QB putting up record stats in offense only to see that our D lets it slip away in the last minute.

How many games int the recent past we lost with a lead in the first half. What happened to 60 mins of football ? Players are not executing on the field has a direct correlation to bargain hunting. 1 or 2 years of this is OK but how long is this gonna go ??

You get what you pay for ... :bricks:

ok now, rant done and I'm ready to take the lumps, bring it on :eek: :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST