PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has Donte Stallworth been a dissapointment so far in 2 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way, until other teams wake up and try to get physical with Moss for the first 5 yards why try and force things with Stallworth. Stallworth will break out when Moss isnt so easily open

Why would you be disappointed in a player who went from about 9 snaps in week one to 39 snaps in week 2 when he's coming back from that hamstring issue?

In two out of three games (including the Panthers preseason game) he has caught a deep pass or drawn PI on a deep pass play. IMO, this will continue and, in IMO, that is his role on the team.

I'm not disapointed. I didn't think either Stallworth or Moss would be that effective early because of the complexities of our offense. I far more shocked that Moss has been this effective this quickly than I am disapointed that Stallworth hasn't been a bigger part of this offense. I am more disapointed in Gaffney. I figured he would play a bigger role early in the season since he is familiar with the offense.

REMEMBER: THERE'S ONLY ONE BALL.

Brady is almost perfect, what more do you want? It's only been two weeks.

Agreed.

If the Patriots were not effectively moving the ball then we would have to wonder why Stallworth has not been productive. Things are fine. Week 3 will be Stallworth's breakout game.

Jesus, guys, Brady's completing EIGHTY PERCENT of his passes and we're talking about being "disappointed" by any WRs right now? He's finding the open man, that's all. If Moss wasn't on the team Stallworth would have better stats.

When the attention of defenses rolls to Moss...you will then see Stallworth sent on a "Fly"

We have Bingo.

NOTHING about the passing game has been a disappointment so far. A lot of aspects, however, have been inconsequential, because a few targets have gotten most of the throws.

Last edited:
At this point, i'm wondering why Jabbar Gaffney isn't the #2 receiver... i think he earned it and stallworth needs to prove he can take it away.

Because Welker is better than him in every way.

Err...its been the Moss/Welker/Watson show out there. Really I haven't seen anyone else make more than two catches from the two games so I can't really blame Stallworth. He'll have a big game eventually.

Nope, I think he's just getting inthe flow of things and frankly I don't think any of us expected Moss to look so good this early. The point being some receivers take a little longer to adjust. I also think Stallworth will start getting more passes as defenses start shifting their coverages. As it is Brady just missed him for a TD pass against the Chargers. Don't forget Cromartie got called for pass interference trying to cover him. The other thing to think about is that Moss doesn't seem to be having any problems getting open downfield, and a lot of times he's probably Brady's first read. Welker's been getting wide open as well.

Last edited:
Nope, not a disappointment. It's been two games and there's only so many offensive plays you can execute in two games.

I noticed him on Sunday night way more than last week. I think that's a good sign. I personally find it interesting that many thought Moss would be a decoy, but possibly Stallworth and his speediness is the decoy instead. But all this could change week to week. That's the beauty of having such a versatile offense.

I'm not dissapointed in Stallworth. I think he is making progress each week.

It looked like they definitely tried to get him some balls this past week, but the PI and a slightly overthrown ball got in the way of that.

We could just as easily be asking why Kyle Brady hasn't caught more passes.

...or Jabar Gaffney ... or even Kevin Faulk.

As someone pointed out, it has only been two games and there is only 1 ball to go around. All these players are good and they will have some good weeks (stat-wise)... it just hasn't happened yet.

No, because Brady and Moss have something special going on here. Stallworth will get in the mix soon enough. Welker is playing out of his mind right now as well. You have to remember, the Pats are loaded at WR.

No way has he been a disappointment, besides not being to participate in full training camp. It's not as if Brady has had problems finding open receivers and moving the chains. If the Pats were punting the ball and failing to score, then asking the question would be fair.

Its just 2 games passed and I am sure he will have a decent game in the upcoming weeks but has his play dissapointed you as it appears he has not been able to get open in his routes like Randy Moss has and my guess is he has not been able to learn T. Brady and the offense just yet.

Randy is a much bigger talent but I would think Stallworth would be able to out up some numbers if given a few more games and hope so,but so far its been nothing notable to mention.

Right now in terms of offseason aquisitions I think Moss,Thomas,Welker,Morris,Stallworth and then K. Brady in this exact order is how the new players have performed in terms of productivity so far.

If Stallworth does come around I don't know how any secondary in the NFL that we play this year will be able to contain these 2 and with Welker in the flat and Brown probably coming back in the mix by midseason,C. Jackson I think sits all year unless 2 of these receivers get injured.

If Donte does improve,I think 500 points scored in the regular season is a distinct possibility and our punter may be getting his weekly paycheck for vitually nothing to show to say he earned it while Gostkowski's leg may fall off.

Not disapointed at all. Stallworth plays a role on this offense. So do Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Watson, Maroney, Morris and Faulk. Judging from the past two weeks, I think everyone is playing their roles well.

Its just 2 games passed and I am sure he will have a decent game in the upcoming weeks but has his play dissapointed you as it appears he has not been able to get open in his routes like Randy Moss has and my guess is he has not been able to learn T. Brady and the offense just yet.

Randy is a much bigger talent but I would think Stallworth would be able to out up some numbers if given a few more games and hope so,but so far its been nothing notable to mention.

Right now in terms of offseason aquisitions I think Moss,Thomas,Welker,Morris,Stallworth and then K. Brady in this exact order is how the new players have performed in terms of productivity so far.

If Stallworth does come around I don't know how any secondary in the NFL that we play this year will be able to contain these 2 and with Welker in the flat and Brown probably coming back in the mix by midseason,C. Jackson I think sits all year unless 2 of these receivers get injured.

If Donte does improve,I think 500 points scored in the regular season is a distinct possibility and our punter may be getting his weekly paycheck for vitually nothing to show to say he earned it while Gostkowski's leg may fall off.

Not at all......I have been begging for Donte to get more tosses and he started to show up last game.....I think that the key is that Moss has played so incredibly well that Donte has been left in the shadows a bit.....Also, Welker has become the new Troy Brown and runs the slot routes, so he has seen alot of action. I originally figured every team would double up Moss and Donte would get alot of action......Wel, they sort of have been doubling (and even tripling) Moss.....and he is still kicking their a##es and making the plays.....Brady has been making some killer throws to him as well......So in short, NO I don't think Donte has been a disappointment....he just hasn't been needed as much...and maybe doesn't have quite the familiarity with Brady yet that Moss and Welker established in TC......BUT....I think Donte will be fine.....and I will be praying for him to get more tosses his way and hopefully score a TD this week...he needs that and deserves it.....guy has a great PATRIOT attitude in interviews......Also, the amount of attention given to Moss, Welker, and Stallworth even...has opened up the TE position majorly...and Watson has been the happy recipient there......!!!

GO DONTE!!!

The timing is clearly off between Brady and Stallworth, so there is some mild disappointment. But I still think that Stallworth is the right man across from Moss because teams fear his speed. At the very least, he helps clear the area for Watson and Welker to work and he seems to get open on slant routes pretty easily.

As long as Watson, Welker and Moss keep it up, the team is good enough to bide their time. Just think how good the passing offense will be once Stallworth is up to speed and Thomas returns.

Considering how much talent is either waiting to return or fit in and how good this team is already, it is pretty scary just how good that Patriots could be.

I agree ..IF you can't be happy with having Moss and Stallworth as your #1 & #2 WR's....you must be a miserable bastid!!! Seriously.....Donte will be fine.....the guy has sick skills.....once he gets a rhythm going with Brady and IF more teams can take Moss out of the equation (which has shown to be very difficult.....look at the jests with 3 guys on him for example).....He will step up and shine.....This is a very well loaded WR core.....possibly one of the best of all time....

The timing is clearly off between Brady and Stallworth,
How can you tell this? Not saying it isn't true, just wondering how you know. The only instance of bad timing I saw in two games was with Moss. It resulted in Brady's only pick. One miss-timing in two games is pretty damn good, IMO.

So I don't see timing as an issue, and certainly don't see it as "clearly" off.

I think the difference is that Brady is not spreading the ball around this year. We all expect the Pats to do what they did in previous years, and get concerned when they do someting different.

The receiver starts look reasonable to me for the Pats or any team. What is wrong with this reception list:

WR1: 17
WR2: 14
TE1: 7
WR3: 3
WR4: 2
RB1: 2
RB:2 2

It looks pretty normal to me, and I don't expect it to change a whole lot, except maybe that another TE will enter the mix when Thomas is healthy. But he will just take receptions away from the other TE and the third/fourth WR. There are only so many passes completed per game, and I expect that Moss and Welker will continue to be the top to WRs in receptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News