PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hard to believe this team isnt quite as bad as the 1990 team

Sounds like something any fan of any non contending team would say?
Sure, but look back at the close games, do you think Brady pulls them off? You think if we had TB on the last drive of the Giants game we win? I'm talking in relation to the 1990 team which were getting pretty much dominated every game and didn't have a prayer.

Reactions: sb1
Shut up!!!

I love this team. I don’t care about their win loss record. The players listen to the coaches and play as a team.

Bill was planning on having a down year and part of the master rebuilding plan and I expect they’ll win the Super Bowl in 2024.
Bill doing quantum physics while the rest of the league plays checkers....

You guys are misunderstanding what I'm replying to, we're comparing this team to 1990, the 90 team was hardly ever in a game, this team has been.

Sure, but look back at the close games, do you think Brady pulls them off? You think if we had TB on the last drive of the Giants game we win? I'm talking in relation to the 1990 team which were getting pretty much dominated every game and didn't have a prayer.
Yeah that team was worse pretty much everywhere at an organizational level. I don't think there would be another Lisa Olson incident today either.

You guys are misunderstanding what I'm replying to, we're comparing this team to 1990, the 90 team was hardly ever in a game, this team has been.
I think it's irrelevant. Both teams were/are not competitive. They either are blown out by good teams or they lose to bad teams.

You seem to be attempting to quantify talent level and style points and you can't.

I think it's irrelevant. Both teams were/are not competitive. They either are blown out by good teams or they lose to bad teams.

You seem to be attempting to quantify talent level and style points and you can't.
No I'm quantifying watchabilty (if that's a word) the 90 team was terrible to watch, this team has been in games, you guys are reading more into it than what I'm saying. The 90 team was worse to watch, does that make sense?

No I'm quantifying watchabilty (if that's a word) the 90 team was terrible to watch, this team has been in games, you guys are reading more into it than what I'm saying. The 90 team was worse to watch, does that make sense?
In terms of quality of the "watching experience"- the 1990 team was putrid but these last few weeks the 2023 team has been pretty damn close.

In terms of quality of the "watching experience"- the 1990 team was putrid but these last few weeks the 2023 team has been pretty damn close.
No argument there, it actually might be worse because they have blown winnable games, at least in 1990 you knew they didn't have a chance.

It was dead last before the Giants game.
Passing wasn't nearly what it is today in '90 and with a 17 game season we absolutely will surpass that team with historic lows..

To be fair to the 90 team they only lost by 3 points to the Superbowl winning Giants

Marc Wilson just needed weapons and a better line. Give him a chance with better coaching too....
It's the ****ing QB.
90 Pats could've won a few more games with a real QB.
Same deal this year.

In 1990, I had a co-worker at Raytheon who was part of a large group of season ticket holders that held a large block of tickets down low along the sideline near the 50 yard line. Someone was planning to back out the next year so he asked me if I wanted to join the group. It sounded like fun, so I went to a game with him - can't remember who it was against - and they got killed. Maybe it was that Jets game (12/23/90) that they lost 42-7? Needless to say, I told him I would not be taking advantage of his offer.

By the end of that 1990 season, I'm pretty sure the entire group decided to drop their tickets. There were probably 30 people in that group. I wonder if history will repeat itself?

In 1990, I had a co-worker at Raytheon who was part of a large group of season ticket holders that held a large block of tickets down low along the sideline near the 50 yard line. Someone was planning to back out the next year so he asked me if I wanted to join the group. It sounded like fun, so I went to a game with him - can't remember who it was against - and they got killed. Maybe it was that Jets game (12/23/90) that they lost 42-7? Needless to say, I told him I would not be taking advantage of his offer.

By the end of that 1990 season, I'm pretty sure the entire group decided to drop their tickets. There were probably 30 people in that group. I wonder if history will repeat itself?
Back in the 80's into the 90s we had a group that bought a bus, painted it Pats colors and went to every home game, didn't matter what their record was, we went, tailgated and cooked some good food and had fun. Sure it's much more fun when they're winning but those were some good ol days in the gravel parking lots. Some of the guys held their season's tickets into the glory days and went to multiple super bowls so it was worth it to hang in there. Some of the original guys still have seasons tickets.

They've got a shot to beat them, they've scored 148 points this year, the 1990 team scored 181 (in 16 games)

Where they differ is on defense: 248 points allowed vs 446 from the 1990 team.

Even with the injuries, the Patriots defense this year is fantastic (And how many of those points allowed are on Pick 6s?)
I don't know if I would go as far as to say the defense is fantastic. But it has been good, which given they have been missing their top 2 players for most of the season is something.

And its not just Pick 6s. I think all 10 of the Giants points last week came off short fields due to turnovers.:maybenot:

Currently the Pats defense is 21st in Points Allowed, but 8th in Yards Allowed. This is the opposite of how the Pats defense normally is. Since BB has been coach it has only happened 2 other times. 2015 when they were 10-PA/9-YA, and 2022 when they were 11-PA/8-YA.

1990 was our third year with season tickets, after the season ended a buddy said to me, tell me again why are we going to games, I said are you having fun tailgating he said yes, I said there ya go. Up until they hired Parcells I would sit down on the aluminum bench and I could spread out, put my feet up on the bench in front of me, lean back against the bench behind me, my buddies would be a couple spots over, I think in 1990 there might have been 20 thousand people at the games.

As far as it doesn’t matter if you lose by 50 or 1 point, a loss is a loss, in theory that is true but for someone like me who goes to every home game, it does make a difference if the game is over by halftime or it goes down to the wire.

Hart Lee Dykes ... Greg McMurty .. Michael Timpson ... Zeke Mowatt ... Sammy Martin ... Cedric Jones

Caroline Huber GIF

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back