PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hard Knocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
His clock management?

He took his team to the AFC Championship as a rookie head coach, that's quite a feat, and the best you can come up with to criticize him is his "clock management?"

:eek:

I guess you missed the games last season. As well as the "didn't win the division, ridiuculously easy schedule, and would've missed the playoffs without help from Polian" aspect to their season. I realize the Jets have been a joke of an organization for 40 years but clinging to one playoff run doesn't make legends. The Fat Man blew some games last year and even he admitted such...but why let the facts get in the way.

Thing is, more than 90% of the fans that kill Rex, would KILL to have HIM as their team's head coach.

Think 90% is a tad hyperbolic, this fan is used to a quiet, professional approach.. where the product does the talking, not the HC.

Ryan has become the message, not the NYJ...

I didn't watch the show but read about how Tannenbaum was talking about the Revis contract problem after meeting with one of the agents. It sounded as if he was frustrated and venting, which to me, made no sense to do on a show that is going to be aired before the contract gets resolved. He could have used the show to reach out to Revis personally and without the message being filtered by his agents, but instead it sounds like he was just whining and maybe even creating a more hostile situation.

Can anyone who watched comment on that segment?

You make it seem the Jets sought out Hard Knocks, when in fact it was the Jets that turned them down last year, only to have HBO come knocking and pleading back at their doors before this off-season.

Everyone loves a good Train Rex.

HBO also couldnt get Doofus Herm Edwards on fast enough either.

Have they got to the part where Rex goes to the all you can eat buffet?

Thing is, more than 90% of the fans that kill Rex, would KILL to have HIM as their team's head coach.

Really?!? Why? He isn't a guy who is proven yet as a head coach. Right now, the Jets are nothing more than a team that stumbled through the season, had two teams lay down for them at the end of the season to allow them to get into the playoffs, and got hot in the playoffs. Until they prove otherwise, their playoff run could be a fluke. The guy is a great defensive mind, but he has yet to prove he can put together a winner and win the whole thing.

I bet that a large number of Ryan haters think he is way overrated. What you described is what Belichick haters really think. Belichick has the hardware to prove he is a great coach.

I personally hate it when players talk trash in the media. So obviously I would hate it if their coach did too.

Last edited:
Albert Breer who was in Dallas when the Cowboys did Hard Knocks in 2008 and visited the Jets just recently said the Jets players were acting like the Cowboys and trying to play to the camera far too much during practice. The Cowboys in 22008 were a team that was the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl and fell apart because of egos.

I thought last night's show was entertaining. I thought it showed Ryan as a bit of a bafoon, but also that he does know how to speak to his guys, Bart Scott came off like the loud mouth jerk that he is. Tannebaum came off a little foolish at times. I think they are going to pander to Sanchez and turn him into the superstar in the making since reports I have seen out of camp are that he has not been playing that well, but except for the fumbling problems in the rain he was portrayed as near perfect.

Personally, I didn't expect HBO to show all the struggles of the Jets starters (if they have any) since no team would want to give them access if they showed the team in too much of a negative light. But they want to make the show entertaining and they turn players and coaches into characters. I don't know if anyone is playing to cameras, but I do know that HBO will edit footage to create characters for the show. Reality television is the farthest thing from reality.

He's genuine, he has a loose cannon, but he's confident in what he does, and that is how he is, a FAR cry from the tightwad mumbles you have roaming the sideline.

If Belichick wasn't the HC of the NEP, I would want Ryan.

That said, Ryan can't even compare to Belichick. It's not even close.

To call a Hall Of Fame lock Head Coach a "tighwad mumbles" shows what a twit you are.

"He has a loose cannon"?? Good God.:eek:

Couldn't have happened to a nicer team.

Not like its hard to say, "no thanks." Really. Of course it is going to be a distraction. Of course it is going to play to all of the wrong things in a team ("look at me!").

I'm just delighted it happened to them.

Find me a single well run franchise that will agree to be on this show without arm twisting and I'll never say another word about it.

His clock management?

He took his team to the AFC Championship as a rookie head coach, that's quite a feat, and the best you can come up with to criticize him is his "clock management?"

Don't forget the psychological tactics:rolleyes: Ryan used when at one point when he pretty much admitted his team was done and wrote off their playoff chances around week 11 or 12. Yeah, he's brilliant and a coach any player or opposing team would love to have as a coach...........after about a dozen or so other coaches.:rolleyes:

Don't forget the psychological tactics:rolleyes: Ryan used when at one point when he pretty much admitted his team was done and wrote off their playoff chances around week 11 or 12.

IIRC, he actually thought his team was mathematically eliminated. A sportswriter had to correct him. I think if BB ever had to be corrected on such a thing by a sportswriter, he would hang it up right there.

His clock management?

victoria_nile.gif

Last edited:
No, that is how Ryan always is, it's why Bart Scott mentioned in one of the interviews about who he would want to go into an alley with, Rex Ryan.

Please don't be naive to think Rex is a phony, because that is the exactly OPPOSITE of what he is. He's genuine, he has a loose cannon, but he's confident in what he does, and that is how he is, a FAR cry from the tightwad mumbles you have roaming the sideline.

Do you think Rex gets his players to play as hard as they do for him, because he is a phony who likes a camera?

C'mon dude, I know you're a Jets hater, but be honest.

I know we're not supposed to feed the trolls but...

Just wondering where you came up with the "more than 90% of the fans that kill Rex, would KILL to have HIM as their team's head coach" thing? This is what is called a "fabrication," look it up.

You don't think Belichick is confident in what he's doing? I hope I'm just misunderstanding you here because if you really think that's true then you know nothing about the NFL.

Rex gets his players to play hard for him? That's why they wouldn't have made the playoffs unless Indy benched their starters?

They beat Cincy and SD in the playoffs - two teams with coaches that can't never seem to win the big one. Granted, the Jets deserve credit for actually winning two playoff games, but I wouldn't go overboard with what that means.

Ryan may turn out to be a very good coach but going on about him like you do after such a small sample makes me think you're trying to convince yourself more than anyone else.

I had a weird dream that Eric Mangini was dubbed the "Mangenius" after his first season, then was fired two seasons later.

His clock management?

Wow. Clock Management is one of the biggest of the HC's duties, and sometimes it is the only thing a Head Coach is responsible for.

For you to dismiss "clock management" as a meaningless factor shows your lack of knowledge about the game.

Isn't Rex the guy who called the timeout in the Pats-Ravens '07 game, ruining a big stop by Baltimore's D and giving the Pats a second life, leading to a big TD?

No, that is how Ryan always is, it's why Bart Scott mentioned in one of the interviews about who he would want to go into an alley with, Rex Ryan.

Please don't be naive to think Rex is a phony, because that is the exactly OPPOSITE of what he is. He's genuine, he has a loose cannon, but he's confident in what he does, and that is how he is, a FAR cry from the tightwad mumbles you have roaming the sideline.

Do you think Rex gets his players to play as hard as they do for him, because he is a phony who likes a camera?

C'mon dude, I know you're a Jets hater, but be honest.

Honestly I would start watching soccer if Rex coached the Patriots. He embarrassed you guys last year. He was CRYING for heaven's sake. You ever see Belichick cry? Real tears from Rex. Then he was going off on missing the playoffs without even being able to count! The guy is a manic depressive: I can diagnose it from a mile away. And it's going to get your team nowhere.

I thought the show was good, although a bit contrived. Lot's of posturing for the camera....but lot's of one-liners too. Some real funny moments. I'll watch. All that said, I'm glad I am a fan of the New England Patriots. Even moreso last night.

One more thing:

Dear Mr. Revis:

Stay strong brother! Don't let those Jets try to bully you into camp. Tell them to shove it. You have to do right by you and your family! Teach them a lesson. Sit for the year. :)

Sincerely,

Garbanza

Last edited:
I thought last night's show was entertaining. I thought it showed Ryan as a bit of a bafoon.

Good word. Part buffoon, part baboon. How appropriate for Rex.

Let’s do a team by team evaluation of whether their fans would rather take Sexy Rexy, their current coach or whether it could be neutral about it, not caring either way.
Jills- Take.
Fish- Leave (push at best).
Pats – wouldn’t touch him with Magic Johnson’s d!ck with Kareem Abdul Jabbar pushing.
Jets-Take. They loved the Mangenious after his first year too and he was a FAR cry from Rex.
Ravens- Had him in house and decided to go in a different direction. Leave
Bengals-Take, probably.
Browns- Take.
Steelers- Leave.
Texans- Take.
Jags- Push (maybe a Take)
Titans- Leave.
Colts- Leave.
Bolts- Push (maybe take).
Chiefs- Push (maybe take).
Broncos- Take, maybe, after last seasons collapse.
Raiders- Take. They’d take just about anything right now. He’d be a match made in heaven for that franchise.
Gints- Leave.
Eagles- Leave.
Skins-Leave.
Boys- Push. They’d be trading one clown for another. Maybe Take.
Bears- Take. Maybe push. Their coach has actually made it to the SB instead of bragging how his dad and brother have been there.
Lions- Take.
Packers- Leave.
Vikings- Leave. Maybe push. See Cowboys.
Falcons- Leave. Push at best.
Panthers- Leave. See Bears.
Saints- Leave.
Cardinals- Leave.
Rams- Take.
Niners- Push.
Seahags- Leave, probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye