PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hard Knocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet guys would like to play for Ryan. He seems like fun and he's definitely a players coach. That doesn't make him a good coach and those "fun guys" usually don't make it in the NFL. Jerry Glanville was a fun guy to play for...Pete Carroll was a fun guy. The unemployment line is loaded with them. I'm not saying that Ryan can't coach, but that whole "players love him" thing is very overated imo.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I maybe one of the Patriots fans in the goodness of rivalry, can't make myself enjoy anything Jet or Colts related. I don't hate them but I can't in good faith watch there coaches and players.
I don't know it just makes feel a dirty I can not wash off.

Last edited:
I'd want JMcD or even Urban Meyer long, long before I'd want Jabba the Hut here.

If I could pick any non-BB coach, that would be one of the easier choices I ever made: Sean Payton. Rex would fall somewhere in the 20s on my list.

Last edited:
His clock management?

He took his team to the AFC Championship as a rookie head coach, that's quite a feat, and the best you can come up with to criticize him is his "clock management?"

:eek:

Ask Andy Reid about what clock management can do to your team when you need it most...cost his freaking team a Super Bowl to the Patriots because of bad clock management. :rolleyes:

also, for the record, I'd rather Tony Sparano coach the Pats than Rex Ryan. I have Ryan as the #3 coach in the division. Great defensive coordinator, self-sabotaging HC.

I'm confused. Bill Belichick and Rex Ryan are at the total opposite ends of the spectrum.

It sounds like you've bought into the pipe dream that RR is selling - that the Jets will win partially because his knowledge and that his style of coaching is what NFL players need to succeed. Personally, I think this style of coaching is a train wreck waiting to happen and I'd rather take a slightly less proficient X's and O's coach than RR whose coaching style will both aggravate and create problems for his team at some point (which will certainly include when the hype does not match reality).

There is no one "right way" to win in the NFL. Just because I respect Belichick's methods, that doesn't preclude me from appreciating another coach's style...even if they are polar opposites.

You just have to "be yourself". Mangini or McDaniels trying to act like BB is a disaster. Ryan is truly comfortable with his style and that results in player loyalty and effort.

I have not bought into any pipe dreams. I have personally seen both styles work on players. It is naive to think that only a guy like BB can succeed and Ryan types must fail. The guy knows football and he knows his X's and O's.

If I could pick any non-BB coach, that would be one of the easier choices I ever made: Sean Payton.

Another good choice...but before this year would you have made that statement?

Also, Payton is hardly BB. He is much looser with the players and more indulgent of the media.

Usually, if players think their coach is alot of fun, those teams don't do very well. For the most part(with a few exceptions) the coaches that kick butt win. Not many people "had fun" playing for belichick parcells, gruden, etc, but they won, which cures everything thing. Jimmy Johnson was a "fun" coach to play for, can't think of a real consistent winner other than him.

I'd want JMcD or even Urban Meyer long, long before I'd want Jabba the Hut here.

They would both be train wrecks. McDaniels has all of the BB personality quirks without the accompanying rings to back them up.

Urban Meyer is coming from a system that would not work well in the NFL. I respect his stuff but his Offense is very much designed for college football.

Another good choice...but before this year would you have made that statement?

Also, Payton is hardly BB. He is much looser with the players and more indulgent of the media.

I would have, not that that really changes the point at all. And granted, Payton isn't a BB clone: he's his own man with his own style. In one post, it seems like you're criticizing Payton for not being enough like BB, then in the next it seems like you're criticizing McD for being too much like BB. I'm probably just reading it wrong, though, because that seems pretty strange.

And as I mentioned earlier, I would take Sparano over Ryan. I'd also prefer John Fox, Mike Shanahan, Tom Coughlin, Josh McDaniels, Bill Cowher, Jeff Fisher, and possibly Ken Whisenhunt, Andy Reid, Jack Del Rio, John Harbaugh. No way Rex is in the top 10% of NFL coaches.

Last edited:
I would have, not that that really changes the point at all. And granted, Payton isn't a BB clone: he's his own man with his own style. In one post, it seems like you're criticizing Payton for not being enough like BB, then in the next it seems like you're criticizing McD for being too much like BB. I'm probably just reading it wrong, though, because that seems pretty strange.

No, I am criticizing McD for being too much like BB.

I am not criticizing Payton for being different, just pointing it out for the BB's way is the only way people.

There is no one "right way" to win in the NFL. Just because I respect Belichick's methods, that doesn't preclude me from appreciating another coach's style...even if they are polar opposites.

You just have to "be yourself". Mangini or McDaniels trying to act like BB is a disaster. Ryan is truly comfortable with his style and that results in player loyalty and effort.

I have not bought into any pipe dreams. I have personally seen both styles work on players. It is naive to think that only a guy like BB can succeed and Ryan types must fail. The guy knows football and he knows his X's and O's.

great post.

lets leave a side for a moment our opinions about who is a good coach and who is a bad coach.

the idea that only the BB way can win is idiotic.

through the years there have been many ways for coaches to win and any way is good and working as long as you win.

I didn't watch the show but read about how Tannenbaum was talking about the Revis contract problem after meeting with one of the agents. It sounded as if he was frustrated and venting, which to me, made no sense to do on a show that is going to be aired before the contract gets resolved. He could have used the show to reach out to Revis personally and without the message being filtered by his agents, but instead it sounds like he was just whining and maybe even creating a more hostile situation.

Can anyone who watched comment on that segment?

Converted.....

I watched the whole thing and had read about this part of the show already as well.

What happened was at one point during camp (one day - last friday i believe), Tannenbaum and another person took off to meet Revis' agents at a diner. HBO's camera's were in the car and another one following with open mic's. Back story is when they arrived at the diner, HBO asked Revis' camp if they could film the meeting and Revis' people said no. Ok, so as Tannenbaum and Co are driving up, the car ride has good conversation. 3 hours later, back in the car, DEAD SILENCE! Tannenbaum basically says, "what did we just accomplish? Nothing. Suggests that maybe they should just forget about him for the whole year. Sounds confused because every offer the jets make, Revis' camp counter's but never makes changes to the counter. Bascially, Tannenbaum says that Revis' people are making the same counter offer EVERY time.

That's the jist of that part.

Hope that helps.

Hard Knocks needs a logo for this season...the Rat Knocker

FaceAtTWindow+%2819%29.jpg

Last edited:
I can't bring myself to watch this thing. I know that as an NFL and Patriots fan, I probably should. But I can't....to much Jets hate to be able to stomach it.

Tell me why I'm wrong, please.

I guess you missed the games last season. As well as the "didn't win the division, ridiuculously easy schedule, and would've missed the playoffs without help from Polian" aspect to their season. I realize the Jets have been a joke of an organization for 40 years but clinging to one playoff run doesn't make legends. The Fat Man blew some games last year and even he admitted such...but why let the facts get in the way.

I watched every game, none of them were due to anything Ryan did wrong during a game. As is apparently the theme of this thread, you clowns will apparently rip everything Jets out of bias and hatred.

How is it on Ryan if the Colts take out their starters in the 3rd quarter of a 15-10 game?

He was also a rookie HC, sure he made mistakes, so did his rookie QB, which means they did pretty damn well in their first year, they can only go up, can't they? Pretty scary, I know, this kills all Pat homers.

Wow. Clock Management is one of the biggest of the HC's duties, and sometimes it is the only thing a Head Coach is responsible for.

For you to dismiss "clock management" as a meaningless factor shows your lack of knowledge about the game.

Not dismissing it, I'm calling out the fan that said Rex blew games because of it. His response was the Colt game when the starters were pulled late in the 3rd quarter of a close game, how is that poor clock management.

Next time, read.

The Revis thing is comedy gold. Plain and simple. That and in the process of hyping up Cromartie they showed Sanchez making some TERRIBLE throws into coverage. Not much has changed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back