PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gregory Or No Gregory

Status
Not open for further replies.
considering the importance BB places on smarts, when Duron Harmon calls Gregory "the smartest player" he's seen and McCourty calls him the "smartest player on our defense", I would suggest that cutting Gregory is far from a given.

Harmon on Gregory:

Steve Gregory?s Smarts, Duron Harmon?s Versatility Have Made Devin McCourty?s All-Pro Season for Patriots Easier | New England Patriots | NESN.com

Not only BB, but I think he's a favorite of Patricia. They go all the way back to Syracuse.

I thought Gregory at the start of the season looked ok, then by the end he just constantly looked out of place. I think he's a great teammate, and a guy you like to have, bit he's def a player that can be replaced.

I like Gregory as a backup just like many here but not as a starter. And he's gonna make a good money for a backup rotational player. So I see the cut as a need since there's a huge need to clear some cap space. I like Harmon and to be honest I think Tavon Wilson has a nose for the ball so he could see more snaps. 2nd round pick, ok a Bust, a reach, whatever you wanna call, but he went drafted, there's nothing we or BB can do to undo this process so at least use him for something else than st.

If we are talking about backup / rotational player I would give a shot to the cheaper Tavon Wilson over the 2Mi Gregory. Obviously he's no answer, neither is Gregory nor Harmon. At this point I'm not even sold on Dmac.

My expectation is that he'll sign an extension to save about $1M on this year's cap. I wouldn't mind cutting him and going with Harmon, though.

Who would you like to see play when McCourty or Harmon is injured?

That's much of the downside of cutting Gregory.

I say cut him. He is not a starter and should go back to learning how to tackle opposing players. Always out of position when needed. He is annoying to watch.

No Gregory. He did nothing on the field to warrant bringing him back. Patriots could use more than one upgrade at that position.

What's everyone's thoughts on Bernard Pollard? I know, forgive me father for I have sinned. But I think this team needs some toughness. We are going to lose some if we don't sign Spikes. And even though his strong suit is against the run and may be more of a liability in the passing game, I think he will make WRs head be on a swivel going over the middle. Imagine Welker trying to set a pick on Pollard? He'll bring a veteran presence, attitude, toughness and is very good against the run to this secondary. Something the Pats have not had for a few years.

Gregory stays, but I am sure the Patriots will draft another Safety to compete. They need a safety with size who can cover TEs and allow them to stay in their base defense.

What's everyone's thoughts on Bernard Pollard? I know, forgive me father for I have sinned. But I think this team needs some toughness. We are going to lose some if we don't sign Spikes. And even though his strong suit is against the run and may be more of a liability in the passing game, I think he will make WRs head be on a swivel going over the middle. Imagine Welker trying to set a pick on Pollard? He'll bring a veteran presence, attitude, toughness and is very good against the run to this secondary. Something the Pats have not had for a few years.

As long as you don't let him practice on the same field as Brady. :bricks:

I wanted toughness in the secondary last year. We got out-toughed by the Ravens. I thought a headhunter with coverage ability like DJ Swearinger would have fit perfectly opposite McCourty. Shockingly, we got out-toughed by Denver this year, something I never expected. I thought we were the more mentally and physically tough team, and we were neither in the AFCCG.

What's everyone's thoughts on Bernard Pollard?

deco_nightstalker_cross.jpg

I'm a big Steve Gregory fan, mostly because a good secondary is a team, not necessarily a group of the best athletes.

1. He returned the butt fumble for a touchdown
2. He's deeply appreciated for his ability to see formations and communicate coverage by veterans and younger players alike
3. He is not afraid to stick his nose in there against bigger ball carriers and receivers
4. The Patriots had the best pass defense in 2013 since 2006-07

If there's a Rodney Harrison out there to be had, go for it, but before the Patriots stick a big hitter back there, my hope would be that he brings the same experience and leadership to that position as Gregory does.

Depends on their confidence in either Harmon, a rookie they have their eye on (should have been Elam), or a FA. If they have confidence in Harmon or are sure they can get a better guy through FA or the draft, then Gregory should be expendable due to his cap hit. If not, they can see if they can work out an extension of some type to lower his cap hit. Ideally, I would love to see an upgrade to Gregory. He's pretty clearly the weakest link in what is otherwise a strong starting secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes