PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Bedard: Time for Patriots to draft an impact receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than Austin, no wide receiver is a likely immediate impact player.

That's a bit of a short-sighted thought in my opinion.

There are at least several WR's in this draft who could definitely be deemed "immediate impact" receivers, if not more.

Why would it be T.Austin or.....nothing?

if he means impact WR like 90 or more rec 1100 or more yards 7 or more TD type guy I think Austin and Hopkins were the only ones, but I think there are a few more guys left that can be good mid level WR's and have a impact on the team by helping them win but the pats may have to trade up a few spots to get one but IMO there are no more star WR's left there never is more then one or two of dose type of guys in each Draft

BB can easily trade up to catch Woods & Allen (mid/late 30's?), Patton (early/mid 40's?)

and again Rogers, Swope, and Dopson (my favorite of this group) in the late 3rd well into the 4th.

Then we can always sign an existing FA, or pick off some camp cuts later.

This team will have a stronger WR roster than it had in 2006 - easily.

My guy told me the Pats were jonesing for Hopkins or Wood....to the point where they would be pissed if they couldn't land one of the two. The 4 for 1 was too good to pass up, no doubt, but based on my intel, I have to believe they will package picks to get ahead of whatever threat is out there to get Woods. The final result will be Woods and more picks than they started the draft with. If they could sit until #52 and still get Woods, then BB really has the league pegged.
PS....Reiss has Woods going #53 in his round 2 mock posted today.
Time will tell. It is a head scratcher that BB is loading up picks in a crappy draft. Hope they can shift a few picks into 2014, preferably add a #2 next year (like the good ole days)

My guy told me the Pats were jonesing for Hopkins or Wood....to the point where they would be pissed if they couldn't land one of the two. The 4 for 1 was too good to pass up, no doubt, but based on my intel, I have to believe they will package picks to get ahead of whatever threat is out there to get Woods. The final result will be Woods and more picks than they started the draft with. If they could sit until #52 and still get Woods, then BB really has the league pegged.
Time will tell. It is a head scratcher that BB is loading up picks in a crappy draft. Hope they can shift a few picks into 2014, preferably add a #2 next year (like the good ole days)

The first few picks will tell the story of how quickly the WR run begins. The Patriots have the ammo to move up with both 2nds and still keep a 3rd, so they should be able to come out of this with at least 3 'high' prospects, based upon how yesterday fell.

No offense, but I don' know if I trust your guy. Guys who cover the team haven't come up with this information and they have good sources close to Belichick. And they have in the past leaked the information. Holley's source gave him Mayo's name before the draft. Most of the media knew the Pats were targeting Chandler Jones last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST