PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great start by the dirty Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a dumb question,but why the "dirty"label for Sanchez?

Jon Gruden was fawning over Sanchez as the game was winding down saying that Sanchez had made "great strides". Jaws immediately questioned that pointing out the interception, the pass that should have been intercepted as well as something else I've since forgotten. Gruden held his ground, but it's clear he hadn't convinced Jaws (or me for that matter).

It seems to me that suiting up and playing was what it took to make "great strides". I'd hate to see what "a step back" would have meant. :eek:

Last edited:
Sanchez has more ceiling than Clemens, but probably not much more. Sanchez from initial glance reminds me of another David Carr. He lacks the height I think to scan the field quickly and see above defensive lines. He's got toughness and swagger that could make him a favorite personality figure in NY. From a football standpoint, nothing in his gm really stands out. His arm is below average, he is somewhat undersized for the position, he does have some scrambling ability, and he has alot to learn with the playbook. Sanchez lacks the natural calmness I have seen with last year's rookie class such as Flacco and Matt Ryan. Heck even Matt Leinart looked more comfortable in the pocket.

Probably a dumb question,but why the "dirty"label for Sanchez?

Trust me, you don't want to know..............................

But it is funny

I thought Flacco looked fantastic against the Jets. Ravens could be scary this year.

Sanchez has more ceiling than Clemens, but probably not much more. Sanchez from initial glance reminds me of another David Carr. He lacks the height I think to scan the field quickly and see above defensive lines. He's got toughness and swagger that could make him a favorite personality figure in NY. From a football standpoint, nothing in his gm really stands out. His arm is below average, he is somewhat undersized for the position, he does have some scrambling ability, and he has alot to learn with the playbook. Sanchez lacks the natural calmness I have seen with last year's rookie class such as Flacco and Matt Ryan. Heck even Matt Leinart looked more comfortable in the pocket.

I can't agree with some of this. I actually think that Sanchez may end up being as good, or even better, than Palmer.

His arm is not even remotely below average. The kid can throw damn well and accurate actually. His height is not the ideal, but at 6'2" he is plenty tall enough- hell, I can probably name a dozen hall of fame QB's with the same or less height....and most of those not as mobile as Sanchez.

This guy should be prepping for his senior year right now, instead he is under the lights on national TV in Baltimore going up against what looked like a damn good defense. Take any quarterback in the league from their second start and put them in the situation Sanchez faced last night and they likely would have done worse. The Ravens D looked fast and confusing!

I agree he looked overwhelmed in his first drives, but it appeared the coach got him calmed down and he seemed more settled after.

No way of knowing how this kid will pan out. Personally, I think the Jet's may very well screw this kid up with too many pressures right now.....but I truly believe this kid has extreme potential and upside.

I can't agree with some of this. I actually think that Sanchez may end up being as good, or even better, than Palmer.

His arm is not even remotely below average. The kid can throw damn well and accurate actually. His height is not the ideal, but at 6'2" he is plenty tall enough- hell, I can probably name a dozen hall of fame QB's with the same or less height....and most of those not as mobile as Sanchez.

This guy should be prepping for his senior year right now, instead he is under the lights on national TV in Baltimore going up against what looked like a damn good defense. Take any quarterback in the league from their second start and put them in the situation Sanchez faced last night and they likely would have done worse. The Ravens D looked fast and confusing!

I agree he looked overwhelmed in his first drives, but it appeared the coach got him calmed down and he seemed more settled after.

No way of knowing how this kid will pan out. Personally, I think the Jet's may very well screw this kid up with too many pressures right now.....but I truly believe this kid has extreme potential and upside.

I agree with most of this, of hardly any of the post you quoted. I think Sanchez will (unfortunately) be a very good QB, possibly great. All he needs is time. I think the Jets will give him the time, and by seasons end he should be a fine QB. That Baltimore D is tough on grizzled vets, let alone a rookie in his second game. heck, they threw 8 players at him on one blitz. I think he will struggle like Cassel did early on, and then get comfortable leading an NFL offense. That's just my 2 cents, I think most of us Pats fans downplay other teams prospects, especially teams in our division. I remember some of us mocking Miami for Tedd Ginn, and Pittsburgh for Santonio Holmes, and I think both are well on their way to becoming stars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I felt it was probably the best pre season game I have ever seen, although I have probably only watched 25 pre season games start to finish.

The Ravens were bringing it and I thought the ravens looked much more polished then the Jets, especially there O.

I liked a lot of what I saw the Jets D doing, although I am once again disappointed in there pass coverage.

I am not surprised or concerned about Sanchez's play, I was glad to see him face a first rate D and take his lumps, it has to be a tremendous learning experience for him. I felt his receivers could of helped him a bit more. I was happy that he was able to recognize the broken coverage on Leon's TD catch and was able to make the play.

The Jets run game looked good. Leon Washington is remarkable.

Keller seems to have improved on his blocking skills.

Was just a truly enjoyable pre season match up.

I felt it was probably the best pre season game I have ever seen, although I have probably only watched 25 pre season games start to finish.

The Ravens were bringing it and I thought the ravens looked much more polished then the Jets, especially there O.

I liked a lot of what I saw the Jets D doing, although I am once again disappointed in there pass coverage.

I am not surprised or concerned about Sanchez's play, I was glad to see him face a first rate D and take his lumps, it has to be a tremendous learning experience for him. I felt his receivers could of helped him a bit more. I was happy that he was able to recognize the broken coverage on Leon's TD catch and was able to make the play.

The Jets run game looked good. Leon Washington is remarkable.

Keller seems to have improved on his blocking skills.

Was just a truly enjoyable pre season match up.

Washington may be that team's best player right now, in terms of impact on an opponent's game plan. I figure it's him, Revis or Jenkins.

Washington may be that team's best player right now, in terms of impact on an opponent's game plan. I figure it's him, Revis or Jenkins.

==================================================

Of course Revis and Big Jenk did not play, I am really high on David Harris and Dustin Keller. I do agree if you are going to game plan against the Jets there #1 threat is Leon.

Snatchez took one average NFL hit from a leg and was out on her feet. Is it too early to say she isn't up to an NFL-sized pounding?

Snatchez took one average NFL hit from a leg and was out on her feet. Is it too early to say she isn't up to an NFL-sized pounding?

=====================================================

Bah, your just talking smack, which is fine.:disagreement:

Sanchez threw his best pass after the hit.

I donno. I think Sanchez has the potential to be elite, but it is far too soon to tell. I still think he really shouldn't have left school this year.

He does have the potential to be the second top 10 pick bust draft pick that the Jets drafted in as many years. Gholston is on the verge of being a huge bust and Sanchez could follow if his lack of experience at the college level sets him back at the Pro level.

Last edited:
I donno. I think Sanchez has the potential to be elite, but it is far too soon to tell. I still think he really shouldn't have left school this year.

He does have the potential to be the second top 10 pick bust draft pick that the Jets drafted in as many years. Gholston is on the verge of being a huge bust and Sanchez could follow if his lack of experience at the college level sets him back at the college level.

====================================================

Ghoulston does appear to be by all standards a total bust, still it is not to late for him to catch on.

Sanchez, it is much to early to say one way or the other. I am happy he left SC early, otherwise the Jets would not have had the opportunity to pick him up on the cheap (cheap as in respect to trading up for him).

Last edited:
====================================================

Ghoulston does appear to be by all standards a total bust, still it is not to late for him to catch on.

Sanchez, it is much to early to say one way or the other. I am happy he left SC early, otherwise the Jets would not have had the opportunity to pick him up on the cheap (cheap as in respect to trading up for him).

I agree it's too early for Broadway Sanchez. I hope the storyline plays out that Clemens blows it week 1, setting up Sanchez for week 2.

Matt Cassel: Pre-season 2008
0 TDs / 1 INT
165 Yards / 4.9 Avg / 55.9%
55.6 Rating

That was a guy four years in the system and also playing with starters.

It's only the pre-season.

Well everything you said is correct. But its Alice in Wonderland. BB was in POISE testing mode with Cassel. He was testing Cassel like Jehovah tested Job.

Its true he was playing with regulars. The other teams regulars, but not his own. BB purposely gave him second and third string O-linemen; and end of roster WRs to go against the other guys regulars. Bill fully expected adversity and BB was intersted in seeing how Cassel handled that. He was certain after four preseasons, that Cassel knew and understood the Playbook.

Cassel didn't lose his POISE, or pop off after the game to the media about unfairness, or get angry during the game, and shift blame others for the lack of talent of some of the players he was playing with. He simply did his best in spite of it all; and BB then knew he had a true keeper.:rolleyes:

Well there is always one...

What are you talking about. If the receiver didn't drop the pass, he would have had two TD passes on his first two passes. Granted when I say receiver, I mean Ray Lewis. When I say two TDs, I mean two INTs for a TD.

As much as I think Sanchez ain't ready for a starting role, this is a good learning experience for him.

when you look at the other starting QB's in the AFC it's pretty weak stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes