PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great start by the dirty Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
From last preseaon until mideadson. the draft gurus were complaining that no QB candidate in 2009 was worth a third round draft pick. Then the pre draft hype started as it always does and there are 150 future first rounders projected by the draft gurus.

Stafford was judged to have a big but inaccurate arm and he hadn't seemed to improve overall the years he started. Sanchez was judged not to be even a third rounder. He simply had no experience and was carried by all the USC talent. Freeman was a nobody.

Then the ual draft hype started and suddenly there are hundreds of future all Pros.

The Dirty has just been named the official starter by Rex Ryan.

So there you go.

So there you go.
That was locked in when they didn't upgrade his competition.

Dummest move so far. The guy is going to disappoint big time. I'm not saying he's a bad qb, but you saw against the ravens that he was scared and he had some bad throws. He's not ready.

His name officially has been changed to Tubby Wrecks (T-Wrecks).

From last preseaon until mideadson. the draft gurus were complaining that no QB candidate in 2009 was worth a third round draft pick. Then the pre draft hype started as it always does and there are 150 future first rounders projected by the draft gurus.

Stafford was judged to have a big but inaccurate arm and he hadn't seemed to improve overall the years he started. Sanchez was judged not to be even a third rounder. He simply had no experience and was carried by all the USC talent. Freeman was a nobody.

Then the ual draft hype started and suddenly there are hundreds of future all Pros.

Doesn't this happen every year?

In this upcoming draft we have Bradford and McCoy at the top, and somebody with take Tebow and claim they saw him make great throws on tape. (PS: I like the two kids from the MAC, Leflour and the kid from Western Michigan.) All will be overdrafted.

But in a QB driven league this is what happens.

He does have the potential to be the second top 10 pick bust draft pick that the Jets drafted in as many years. Gholston is on the verge of being a huge bust and Sanchez could follow if his lack of experience at the college level sets him back at the Pro level.

Good point. I think a guy like Matt Cassel took his time learning a system before being thrown into action...and rarely do 4 year starters transition well, never-mind early entries like Sanchez.
I hope the Jets stick with him so he can join Carr, Shuler, and other 'bigtime' college QBs who became damaged goods quickly at the next level.

You can look it up in the urban dictionary. I won't give a direct link, since the read is very NSFW:

Urban Dictionary, August 25

NSFW is right...maybe not even for home. Oh, but I wish we could all have jobs that allow us to rack up a 10,000+ post count on Patsfans!
Love the new, avatar, Mr. Ashcroft.

Dummest move so far. The guy is going to disappoint big time. I'm not saying he's a bad qb, but you saw against the ravens that he was scared and he had some bad throws. He's not ready.

Every QB makes bad throws against the Ravens. It was a preseason matchup with a rookie going against probably the best and most confusing D in the league. Under those circumstances, I think he did fine (not well, but certainly not terribly). At this point, how much does Clemens improve their chances of winning relative to Sanchez? Not much, if at all, so it's natural the Sanchez was going to be named starter, even if essentially by default since there isn't a substantially more experienced QB on the roster anyways.

Last edited:
I donno. I think Sanchez has the potential to be elite, but it is far too soon to tell. I still think he really shouldn't have left school this year.

He does have the potential to be the second top 10 pick bust draft pick that the Jets drafted in as many years. Gholston is on the verge of being a huge bust and Sanchez could follow if his lack of experience at the college level sets him back at the Pro level.

Yeah - I guess I'm in the minority of non-Jets fans in thinking that the Jets got a very serviceable QB in Sanchez.

Will he be worth the money he gets as a high pick? Maybe not - but I don't think he'll be a bust.

Still, I agree, it's better for most QBs to have the luxury of sitting half a season or even a full season to learn the ropes of the NFL. (Half a season being that they come in when the aging veteran starter has been so bad that the season is lost, and, apart from the risk of injury, the rookie QB has nothing to lose.)

This is a surprise to me. I don't understand why they don't let Clemens play at least the first few games to give Sanchez some time. Clemens isn't any better than Sanchez, but at least he has several years of NFL experience.

My guess is the Jets have been emboldened by watching what Flacco and Matt Ryan did last year, and are forgetting the Harringtons and Carrs that illustrated what happens to most first years QB's until last year. That, and the real possibility that his receiving corp at USC last year was better than the Jets current receiving receivers... The pats will eat up this rookie.

Thank you for the corner-of-my-eye-double-take inducing thread title!

"No, he didn't!" :D

Last edited:
While it might have looked bleak, I thought I saw some things he can build on. The Td throw was a major league peg. Very accurate and with a lot of pace, leading the receiver away from the defender. He also had a nice out route that showed off his good arm, and least better than what I expected, and he had a nice touch on a fade route.

Now I know these are just 3 throws, but given the team he was playing and the time he has played in the league thus far, I think the raw talent is there to be developed. IMHO the Jets have themselves a future solid NFL starter at worst, or an elite NFL QB at best.

This will probably be an ugly year for him if he starts, however I think the Jets will be better off long term, if he does. He DOES have one advantage guys like Harrington, Carr, and Smith didn't. He has a first class OL to keep him from getting killed, a solid Running game, and Leon Washington.

Last edited:
While it might have looked bleak, I thought I saw some things he can build on. The Td throw was a major league peg. Very accurate and with a lot of pace, leading the receiver away from the defender. He also had a nice out route that showed off his good arm, and least better than what I expected, and he had a nice touch on a fade route.

Now I know these are just 3 throws, but given the team he was playing and the time he has played in the league thus far, I think the raw talent is there to be developed. IMHO the Jets have themselves a future solid NFL starter at worst, or an elite NFL QB at best.

This will probably be an ugly year for him if he starts, however I think the Jets will be better off long term, if he does. He DOES have one advantage guys like Harrington, Carr, and Smith didn't. He has a first class OL to keep him from getting killed, a solid Running game, and Leon Washington.

Sorry, but although I am not going to write the guy off after one game, I didn't think his TD pass was anything special. Much of the Ravens' first defense was off the field and the defense blew the coverage.

Rick Mirer was the rookie of the year...

Troy Aikman was horrible his rookie year.

Lets see how this dude shakes out, but from what I've seen of him at USC and thus far in the preseason is the 2nd coming of Matt Leinart.

can't wait for week 2!

Ken, I suggest you re-check that TD throw. Had the defender been looking, it would have been picked off. To make it worse, the only reason the defender was beaten is because the defense was confused pre-snap, and the defender was running to get into postion as the play began. What's more, that only happened once Reed and Lewis came off the field. When the starters (minus Suggs) were in there, Sanchez was about as bad as it gets.

I don't blame Sanchez, by the way. What the Jets are doing to him is really unfair. Given his limited amount of starting experience, throwing him to the wolves like this is just begging for disaster.

Ken, I suggest you re-check that TD throw. Had the defender been looking, it would have been picked off. To make it worse, the only reason the defender was beaten is because the defense was confused pre-snap, and the defender was running to get into postion as the play began. What's more, that only happened once Reed and Lewis came off the field. When the starters (minus Suggs) were in there, Sanchez was about as bad as it gets.

I don't blame Sanchez, by the way. What the Jets are doing to him is really unfair. Given his limited amount of starting experience, throwing him to the wolves like this is just begging for disaster.

well then lets agree to disagree on what we saw, but you answered the question about whether he should play or not. With his limited experience, what he needs is EXPERIENCE, and the best way to get that is on the field.

Like I said he is better off than some rookie QBs in that he has a first class OL, decent RBs, a good TE, and Leon Washington. On the negative side he has just one legit WR. I did say that his first year would be ugly, but in the long run the Jets will be better off playing him than Clemmens, who was only marginally better after 4 years in the NFL. Not much upside there.

well then lets agree to disagree on what we saw, but you answered the question about whether he should play or not. With his limited experience, what he needs is EXPERIENCE, and the best way to get that is on the field.

I don't agree with this at all, frankly. History shows that, as a general rule, the better method is to keep the guy on the bench.

My guess is the Jets have been emboldened by watching what Flacco and Matt Ryan did last year, and are forgetting the Harringtons and Carrs that illustrated what happens to most first years QB's until last year. That, and the real possibility that his receiving corp at USC last year was better than the Jets current receiving receivers... The pats will eat up this rookie.
This.

I think they are hoping for more Flacco/Ryan, less Harrington/Carr and also hope that their defense and running game can keep them close enough in some games to get him some confidence and worthwhile reps.

Personally I think it'll be tough for him, especially in the first half of the season as Ryan sees how he reacts to real games and adjusts. I'm hoping it will be really tough when he plays the Pats for the first time.

What you are gonna see out of the Jets is a serious running game followed by screens and draws. This is the Baltimore formula they used with Flacco. They open with the Texans so that gamme will be close. What will be interesting to see is what happens if the Pats open up an early lead to see how quickly if at all, the Jets abandon the running game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back