PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gramatica coming back as 2nd Kicker on team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BradyManny2344 said:
Wouldn't it stunt Gostkowski's growth? If we look at him as the kicker of the future, we might have to accept a few growing pains as we did with Adam V. Maybe we could've kept Matt Bahr as insurance, but we didn't, and if we had, maybe we'd have ended up using Bahr over Adam. But that's not how things went down, and I'd say everything certainly worked out for the best.

We weren't in the midst of a 3 in 6 dynasty run ten years ago either. And BB wasn't the HC. He is all about accountability. He doesn't red shirt his youngsters, he expects them to fill some role. Gotti's role is to be THE PK, and if he continues to struggle you can bet he will find himself competing to keep his job.

It's as if none of you saw the look on BB's face when that 48 yarder sailed off in the direction of the Ohio River. BB is expecting a hard fought close scoring game this week. Win or lose if he feels coming out of it that he cannot trust his young kicker to kick FG's fairly consistently under favorable conditions, he will get someone in whom he believes can.

Likely that would be Dramatica since he was released yesterday although he is on speed dial just in case AV suffers a setback. I'm really surprised that Polian, who values FG above all else in a kicker, released him. But looking at their injury report which fills volumes it is likely a case of greater need elsewhere. Too bad the Colts are facing the Titans this week and not a real NFL team. BTW not that it's mattered but Givens is OUT.

I was nervous at the thought of this guy coming in with the game on the line from the start and he's done nothing to give anyone any confidence so far. He obviously deserves some patience and 4 games is too early to close the book on him. But at some point, before the playoffs maybe, if he is still showing signs that he can't handle the pressure the Pats better be ready to pull the plug and bring in someone else.

Also, the main argument people are making in his favor is that Adam missed field goals his rookie year. Of course he did. Everyone misses field goals. But don't then make the leap and claim that because Adam missed field goals and Ghost is missing field goals that he will become Adam later in life. Adam is acknowledged to be the best clutch kicker in the game. There have been plenty of stronger legs but very few who were on the money the way Adam was when the game is on the line.

MoLewisrocks said:
We weren't in the midst of a 3 in 6 dynasty run ten years ago either.

Yeah, but that hasn't played at all into BB or Pioli's actions - just look at the Deion Branch trade, it was all about the future meaning more than the present. They always maintain a balance between the two, and in this instance, the future of Ghost is more important than the present of potentially hitting a couple more field goals over the next few weeks.

brady et al fan said:
I was nervous at the thought of this guy coming in with the game on the line from the start and he's done nothing to give anyone any confidence so far. He obviously deserves some patience and 4 games is too early to close the book on him. But at some point, before the playoffs maybe, if he is still showing signs that he can't handle the pressure the Pats better be ready to pull the plug and bring in someone else.

Also, the main argument people are making in his favor is that Adam missed field goals his rookie year. Of course he did. Everyone misses field goals. But don't then make the leap and claim that because Adam missed field goals and Ghost is missing field goals that he will become Adam later in life. Adam is acknowledged to be the best clutch kicker in the game. There have been plenty of stronger legs but very few who were on the money the way Adam was when the game is on the line.

Nobody is expecting Gotti to be Adam. They point to the fact that all kickers were rookies once to demonstrate the fact that the kid will likely improve.

What Adam does or did is completely irrelevant to the situation since Adam wanted to be a Colt, not a Patriot.

But the fact remains that if a supposed HOF kicker wasn't all that as a rookie, then there is hope for our current kicker to improve. And if not, they might resign Grammatica, which would be fine with me too.

mgteich said:
It is not required that anyone trust a rookie kicker at this point in the season.
If you want to discuss trusting a kicker, please recall the end of last year when we punted from inside the 40.

GOST will be fine. As is the case with most rookies, he needs time to get used to the NFL. And no, I don't accept that excuse for veterans.

In season BB doesn't accept that excuse period. If you cannot do the job he will not put you on the field.

BB is a defensive minded field position coach and he will always punt from inside the 40 because he trusts his defense (except for early last season when they gave him ample reason not to). When he starts routinely punting from inside the 30 then you'll know you have a problem with lack of confidence in the kicker. BB had a level of trust with our former kicker who gauged field conditions in the pre game warm ups and that assessment then became part of the game day game plan.

Gramatica as 2nd kicker?...I like but Gostkowski as 1st Kicker :D

BradyManny2344 said:
Yeah, but that hasn't played at all into BB or Pioli's actions - just look at the Deion Branch trade, it was all about the future meaning more than the present. They always maintain a balance between the two, and in this instance, the future of Ghost is more important than the present of potentially hitting a couple more field goals over the next few weeks.

That's apples and oranges. The Deion decision wasn't about performance it was about money and availability. He wanted too much now and going forward and he wasn't going to play before November if he didn't get his way.

There is a great clip NFLN showed on BB working with players in camp - think it was the young Oline last season - where he tells them that if they cannot execute and do the job effectively and consistently he simply cannot put them on the field. Period. It goes double once the season starts. The problem here is this is a position teams do not routinely back up. So it is crucial that the player he starts can do the whole job. We don't have second and third options to allow him to work his way into the job. Perhaps in this instance we should, and BB said he was not opposed to keeping two kickers if that was what was going to be in the best interest of the team and winning. Obviously coming off of camp and the pre season he though it would not be necessary. Now he may be re-thinking that decision. We'll know soon enough.

Yeah, I saw BB's face when Gostkowski shanked the kick. He looked very unhappy. I certainly didn't expect him to shrug his shoulders or turn a cartwheel, however.

I think it is pretty clear that Gost was trying too hard to prevent another block and just forgot to kick the damn ball the way he knows how. There is no way those two blocks were not weighing heavily on his mind as he lined up for a freakin' 48 yarder.

He will improve. That said, if the Pats do decide to bring in a vet, I would hope Gost has enough mental toughness to work harder and not get discouraged.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Nobody is expecting Gotti to be Adam. They point to the fact that all kickers were rookies once to demonstrate the fact that the kid will likely improve.

What Adam does or did is completely irrelevant to the situation since Adam wanted to be a Colt, not a Patriot.

But the fact remains that if a supposed HOF kicker wasn't all that as a rookie, then there is hope for our current kicker to improve. And if not, they might resign Grammatica, which would be fine with me too.

Adam is relevant because people keep citing his rookie year performance as an argument for sticking with Gost. At this point I agree that they stick with Gost for a little while longer but I just take issue with the "he will get better because Adam started bad and got better". I sure hope he gets better but the question is how long can BB wait? They can't get caught with a head case come playoffs and will need to have the kicker situation squared away some weeks before that.

It would be a big mistake to bring in another kicker now. It would ruin the kids confidence. We should wait a while to see how he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back