Welcome to PatsFans.com

Graham turns down 4 mil a year offer From Pats..

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgcolby, Feb 28, 2007.

1. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

According to Gil Brandt. He didn't say how many years he just said that GB was interested in him and that it would cost a few bucks because he reportdly turned down a deal from NE that would average out to 4 mil a year.

Just an FYI.
  2. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Canada's #1 Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He obviously thinks he can get more on the open market, if the story is true, and become a bigger fixture of a passing offense.
  3. PATRIOTS-80

PATRIOTS-80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

wow..............that's a lot of dough to pass on. It sounds like BB tried, but Graham's price is going to skyrocket!
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  4. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Link?
    10 chars
  5. Digger44

Digger44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

it just doesnt sound right to me. that seems like too much to walk away from.
  6. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Sorry, No link he stated it on Sirius during the Red Zone, I heard it coming back from lunch.
  7. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Too many teams have lots of cap money right now. Graham could probably get 6M/year from a team if things fall his way.
  8. MrTibbs

MrTibbs Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not if he doesn't think he'll get to catch more balls. At this point as a Patriots TE he's simply been an extra offensive tackle who catches a few balls here and there. He wants more action. With Watson and Thomas there as the other TE's I can't see him getting more balls thrown his way.
  9. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

That was my original reaction but I figured I would at least let the board chew on it a little.

Maybe being the feature TE means a lot to him. I think he would be able to get 4 mil on the open market and be the #1 TE as well.

If it is true - it shows how much the Pats wanted to keep him.
  10. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +774 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

Yup. He's a role player here and can probably command more $$$ elsewhere as a team's go-to tight end. I say he's as good as gone, which is a shame. Between the injury problems that have plagued both Graham and Watson, we've needed both of them.
  11. Digger44

Digger44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

If true it is an awsome offer from the Pats. Don't give me the Pat's r cheap stuff (just wait someone will post it).

I agree we wanted to keep him, and supposedly he wanted to stay. I guess that doesn't mean a blasted thing either.
  12. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

You guys don't seem to get it. It's not the money, it's the role in the offense. The Pats could offer him 10 million a year and he would reject it. He doesn't want to return to the Pats. He wants to have a bigger role on another team. If I were a TE, I would be tired of playing like an offensive lineman in the Pats offense too.
  13. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

It's likely a result of his wanting a chance to catch more and block less which will lengthen his career/shelf life. Plus offering $4M per as an AAV is only part of the equation. It's the bonus money and the amount that guarantees a player sees in the first three seasons of his deal regardless. If we offered $4M per with a $6M signing bonus on a 4 year deal, that's a lot different that $4.? per with an $9M signing bonus on a 6 year deal. Dead cap on the latter likely keeps him on a roster through year 4 ($3M). Dead cap on the 4 year deal makes it reasonable to cut bait before year 3 ($3M). So it's like pretty good shot at $18M+ of a possible $25M+ vs. pretty good shot at $10M of a possible $16M.
  14. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'm surprised the Pats offered that much with his injury history.

I wonder if the Pats made it a take it or leave it offer or if they said there's $4 million on the table for you here. Go into free agency and if you cant top it you're welcome back.
  15. Sporin

Sporin Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There aren't a lot of great blocking TE's in the draft or FA this year, it's really his best time to get a big bucks contract from someone and I won't blame him if he does.
  16. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +229 / 20 / -10

I have posted many times that BB pays for true production. He paid Jarvis Greene and now he has made an above franchise price offer to Graham.

I'm not certain that he is gone though. If they made that kind of offer for him, it will scare off many another would-be pursuer. Graham may just be seeing how high everyone is willing to go. If I were him I would too; before coming back if the only offers are about the same, and the Team's are perpetual losers.

He knows the Pats value him highly; he is a Team captain and EARNED the status.
  17. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Again, it's not the AAV, it's the whole package including length of contract and signing bonus.

We offered to keep AV the highest paid kicker in the league, but just for 1 year at a time with little or no signing bonus to insure we kept him on the roster beyond that.
  18. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I believe the franchise tag money is $4.3 mil for TE's. So a $4mil offer is like saying he's one of the top 5 TE's in football.

But the devil is in the details- years, bonus, ect.
  19. Keegs

Keegs Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

i'm pretty sure for 10 mil a year he'd block his butt off and have no problem doing it.
  20. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

He didn't mention anything other than the 4 mil average.