PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: No Regrets of destroying tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't appreciate that. Whenever you first signed up and your post count was low, I doubt people were rude to you.

I think its embarrassing that an element persists among our fanbase that says, "forget what everyone else thinks and forget the rules, who cares as long as we win and humiliate people." I would rather cheer for a losing Pats team that at least loses with dignity than one that wins without it.

:mad:

I WILL give you props though on refusing to come clean. I'm actually pretty impressed.

I agree with most of what you said...however this means that for the forseeable future, and maybe forever, people are going to tell us that the Pats only won the 3 SB's by cheating, and we're gonna have to listen to that.

and that sucks.

for me, the legacy matters.

The Pats didn't "spy". They collected publicly available information.

The Pats did break a rule about how that publicly available information can be collected.

The Pats openly and willfully broke that rule, Belichick's "interpretation" aside.

The rule, based on the information I've seen, went into effect in 2006.

Videotape is the singular worst way of gathering information to be used in the same game. A fleet of people taking notes would do a much better job...and is perfectly legal.

If people can take this objective information and question the legitimacy of any victories in any years...well, are these people you would think would know anything? So why would you care what they say?

I don't appreciate that. Whenever you first signed up and your post count was low, I doubt people were rude to you.

I think its embarrassing that an element persists among our fanbase that says, "forget what everyone else thinks and forget the rules, who cares as long as we win and humiliate people." I would rather cheer for a losing Pats team that at least loses with dignity than one that wins without it.

Well good thing you aren't a Pats fan so you won't have to worry about it.

Oh no! Goodell told Specter something we already know that the Pats videotaped signals prior to the Jets game.

I'm interested in Specter explaining how stealing the Steelers' defensive signals caused:
1.) Ben Roethlisberger to throw 3 interceptions
2.) Bettis to fumble on a critical 4th and goal
3.) the Steelers had seven possessions in the first half and had one field goal, three turnovers, and three punts
4.) The Steelers could only convert 4 of 12 third downs.

Last time I checked, stealing defensive signals only helps a team's offense if it helps at all.

No to mention the famous footage of the Pats practicing their first play of the game. They must've already known what defense the Steelers would be in. I totally bet the Steelers were completely unaware the Pats were stealing their signals and used the exact same ones as they did during the regular season. Signals are SO hard to change...

Re: Goodell:No Regrets of destroying tapes

When did the rule go into place?

This is the critical question that MUST be answered...

when did sideline taping become illegal? 2005? 2006? before 2001?

we need to know this to gauge whether this new info means anything.

How did you know I was referring to you?

Is it because you know your posts are dumb? :rofl:

On a serious note, I don't know what team you root for, but do you really wonder why Patriots fans support their team on a Patriots forum?

What do you want us to say? "The Patriots should be disbanded, Belichick should be executed, and Tom Brady should be forced to have sex with men for the rest of his natural life"?

**** off. Our team broke a rule and got in trouble for it. If you can't get over it, you should probably watching something like tennis or golf. Those sports are designed for people like you.

Last edited:
this is hilarious

he's having a conversation with himself :rofl:

Last edited:
this is hilarious

he's having a conversation with himself :rofl:

Not only do we root for a better team, we're smarter than him too. Wow troll, it might be time to hit up a Jets board with your shenanigans. Oh there's nothing to talk about with Jets other than they're looking at another fun year with Noodle Arm? Okay, you can stay here, just try not to look so dumb.

The rule, based on the information I've seen, went into effect in 2006.

I hope that you are right, but where is the evidence for that?

Just the date of the memo?

LOL! I MUST BE MISTAKEN THEN! PLEASE CONTINUE YOUR SERIOUS DISCUSSION!

:rofl:

The funny part is I am actually hearing David Cross say this in my head while reading it.

I don't understand how this tarnishes our past superbowls, but when Jimmy Johnson or another SB winning coach/player admits they've done it as well, no one comes out crying about taints on their superbowls. Either every past coach whose used these techniques and admitted to it have tainted their superbowls as well or the tapes really have no effect whatsoever on the success of the superbowl teams (i think having an 18-1 season shows how much those tapes really helped :rolleyes:). These idiots can not make a specific rule that only applies to the Patriots but they damn sure are trying to...

I would think that fellow Pats fans wouldn't be this rude. This is embarrassing.

:(

Haha, you want to play, I love it. Yes, we do this to all the newbies! Just a little hazing! Welcome aboard fan of the Patriots! Don't you just love the Patriots!? Sorry for my jestful comments but we have to make sure a fellow Patriots fan can take some good natured ribbing. Wanna talk some Pats or what!?

I would think that fellow Pats fans wouldn't be this rude. This is embarrassing.

I think that you will find the folks at IndyStar more receptive, and over there you can use your preferred name, ColtGreats.

[insert knee-jerk reaction, suggestions for future - and a "shame on you" to the patriots]

2wfke87.jpg

Rince and repeat.

The fans on CNNSI are having a field day with this, BTW. It's like Christmas over there.

Gee wiz, we should relocate the team, fire the head coach and change our names to the Richmond Redemptions, I sure don't want that Merril Hoge questioning our dynasty now, ye-guck.

Blah blah blah blah Comcast blah blah blah blah Eagles Fan blah blah blah blah charlie brown...

Months and months of it! Hey, that's what the US Senate needs!

Second chance for losers -- gee I wonder if you can sell that product in America.

Guess what, though? 31 teams lose every year. And most of them never did get up the mountain. In fact, none of the ones the Pats beat have been back. With the exception of the Rams, that was the one and only shot they ever had.

And wouldn't it be music to your ears, to hear that the Giants didn't win because they beat us, they won because they cheated? CHEATED! Evil, evil Giants! Especially had we not already grown cynical to the way these allegations work?

Oh yeah, this country hates us. The more uninformed, the greater the hate. And the average American thinks Elvis is still alive and Angels control their destiny.

We can all get used to this crap for the remainder of the offseason, our resident trolls will bask in it, etc.

Not a prophet of doom here, just trying to explain something: this is no longer an "investigation" of any kind, it's a torchbearing mob. Any fact will be reported/interpreted as proof against the Pats, and any lack of evidence will be interpreted as evidence of cover-up. We are well into the modern equivalent of Torquemada's territory.

Toughen up guys. It's bull crap - so come here and vent about it. Whatever floats your boat. But bear this in mind: you only have to consider in your heart what's proven. And from what I can see, that ain't d1c k -- other than that the Pats have done what at least 3 other teams have done, and probably a great number of others.

Any jackass that comes at you with that "tainted" bullcrap -- including your sunday sportscast -- can kiss my big white furry behind, until and unless there's substance to the allegations (and yes, this must be shown to be non-selective enforcement at this point.)

So... people will not like us. People are irrational panicky herd animals at times, I'm afraid, and a ravening wolf pack at other times. In reflective times, people are individuals. Bear in mind that sports rivalries, politics, and propaganda wars over network rights are not usually the breeding grounds for such somber reflection.

PFnV

I hear you PFnV, I just wish the Patriots would fire back at some point. There is a certain point when the bully WON'T leave you alone, and that is when you knock his d1ck in the dirt.

...anytime you're ready, Pats FO/legal team/PR Dept.

Last edited:
Blah blah blah blah Comcast blah blah blah blah Eagles Fan blah blah blah blah charlie brown...

Months and months of it! Hey, that's what the US Senate needs!

Second chance for losers -- gee I wonder if you can sell that product in America.

Guess what, though? 31 teams lose every year. And most of them never did get up the mountain. In fact, none of the ones the Pats beat have been back. With the exception of the Rams, that was the one and only shot they ever had.

And wouldn't it be music to your ears, to hear that the Giants didn't win because they beat us, they won because they cheated? CHEATED! Evil, evil Giants! Especially had we not already grown cynical to the way these allegations work?

Oh yeah, this country hates us. The more uninformed, the greater the hate. And the average American thinks Elvis is still alive and Angels control their destiny.

We can all get used to this crap for the remainder of the offseason, our resident trolls will bask in it, etc.

Not a prophet of doom here, just trying to explain something: this is no longer an "investigation" of any kind, it's a torchbearing mob. Any fact will be reported/interpreted as proof against the Pats, and any lack of evidence will be interpreted as evidence of cover-up. We are well into the modern equivalent of Torquemada's territory.

Toughen up guys. It's bull crap - so come here and vent about it. Whatever floats your boat. But bear this in mind: you only have to consider in your heart what's proven. And from what I can see, that ain't d1c k -- other than that the Pats have done what at least 3 other teams have done, and probably a great number of others.

Any jackass that comes at you with that "tainted" bullcrap -- including your sunday sportscast -- can kiss my big white furry behind, until and unless there's substance to the allegations (and yes, this must be shown to be non-selective enforcement at this point.)

So... people will not like us. People are irrational panicky herd animals at times, I'm afraid, and a ravening wolf pack at other times. In reflective times, people are individuals. Bear in mind that sports rivalries, politics, and propaganda wars over network rights are not usually the breeding grounds for such somber reflection.

PFnV

I still see this as one Senator acting alone who is getting ridiculed by many members of the national media (Jon Stewart, Howard Stern, Mike Golic, etc.) as much as he is being supported (Mike Florio). I don't think there is a public outcry for the government to get involved like in the steriod scandal. That tells me that the mob mentality isn't there to make this go anywhere from a governmental or league standpoint.

As for fans of other teams and talking heads throwing around baseless accusations, I couldn't care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft