PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: No Regrets of destroying tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Goodell:No Regrets of destroying tapes

How can you argue with illegal taping of the other team possibly being used to win playoff games? If that doesn't make you sick and embarrassed, I don't know what would.

The only good news for the Pats is that Goodell will probably take the heat for all of this.

Like I said, I find it laughable that people can be so mindless & uneducated that they waste their energy wishing & hoping for the Patriots & Belichik to fall.

At least our fellow PATRIOTS fans like PatriotGreats is with us all the way in support of our team & coach!:rolleyes::rofl:

The funny thing is when Specter said, "If you're going to idemnify a person, and then question whether he's being truthful, that's not much of an idemnification."

I liked that part too...he basically said "well you can't specify that the guy has to tell the truth to get his immunity".

well now Roger has to either come out and say that he lied to everyone during SB week or say that Arlen is off his nut, which he definately is. should be interesting...sorta

I'm just very down on our Pats right now. It was a VERY VERY disappointing ending to our season. I thought Brady would be clutch in the end and pull it out, but he just couldn't get the job done. :(

Don't worry my fellow fan of the greatest team ever. We'll be back again and you can root your tail off for the Patriots again in 8 months. I know, you can hardly wait, huh?

I'm just very down on our Pats right now. It was a VERY VERY disappointing ending to our season. I thought Brady would be clutch in the end and pull it out, but he just couldn't get the job done. :(

Were you not watching when he drove the team down to score what should have been the winning TD??

Tom Brady is simply the best QB - ever.

Even a troll such as you knows this and it eats you up alive....THREE suoerbowls down going for a few more. You keep trolling and we'll keep on winning.

Last edited:

Well TV news reports (not that I've heard - but people from other boards are claiming) are reporting as fact that "Belichick has been spying since 2000"

Yes, I get it - no one here cares. Everything is sunshine and dasies. But if this is true, this is just opening a new gate into hell....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...YcB?slug=ap-goodell-specter&prov=ap&type=lgns

Belichick has been taping since 2000, Goodell tells Specter
By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer
February 13, 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Bill Belichick has been illegally taping opponents' defensive signals since he became the New England Patriots' coach in 2000, according to Sen. Arlen Specter, who said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told him that during a meeting Wednesday.

"There was confirmation that there has been taping since 2000, when Coach Belichick took over," Specter said.

Specter said Goodell gave him that information during the 1-hour, 40-minute meeting, which was requested by Specter so the commissioner could explain his reasons for destroying the Spygate tapes and notes.

There were a great many questions answered by Commissioner Goodell," Specter, the senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters after the meeting. "I found a lot of questions unanswerable because of the tapes and notes had been destroyed."

Goodell said Belichick told him he believed the taping was legal; Goodell said he did not concur.

"He said that's always been his interpretation since he's been the head coach," the commissioner said. "We are going to agree to disagree on the facts."

Specter, from Pennsylvania, wants to talk to other league officials about what exactly was taped and which games may have been compromised.

"We have a right to have honest football games," he said.

Goodell noted that "we were the ones that disclosed" the Patriots' illegal taping of the New York Jets' defensive signals in Week 1 of last season. Further, Goodell said, they had an admission by Belichick.

"I have nothing to hide," Goodell said.

Goodell also told Specter that that he doesn't regret destroying the Spygate tapes or the notes.

"I think it was the right thing to do," Goodell said.

Still, Specter wants to know why penalties were imposed on Belichick before the full extent of the wrongdoing was known and the tapes destroyed in a two-week span. Asked if he thinks there was a coverup, Specter demurred.

"There was an enormous amount of haste," Specter said.

He scoffed at the reasons Goodell gave for destroying the tapes and notes, particularly about trying to keep them out of competitors' hands and because Belichick had admitted to the taping.

"What's that got to do with it? There's an admission of guilt, you preserve the evidence," Specter said. As for keeping the tapes out of the hands of others: "All you have to do is lock up the tapes."

Belichick was fined $500,000 and the team was fined $250,000 because of the Spygate incident. The Patriots also forfeited a first-round draft pick.

Specter has questioned the quality of the NFL's investigation into the matter and raised the possibility of congressional hearings if he wasn't satisfied with Goodell's answers. Specter also raised the threat of Congress canceling the league's antitrust exemption and reiterated that in the meeting with Goodell.

Goodell also said he has not heard from Matt Walsh, the former Patriots employee who performed some videotaping duties for the team.

Walsh told The Associated Press last week during the Pro Bowl in Hawaii that he couldn't talk about allegations that he taped a walkthrough practice by the St. Louis Rams before the 2002 Super Bowl. New England, a two-touchdown underdog, won that game 20-17.

Goodell said he has offered Walsh a deal whereby "he has to tell the truth and he has to return anything he took improperly" in return for indemnity. Specter said he, too, wanted to talk to Walsh and perhaps offer a different deal.

Goodell also said he reserves the right to reopen the investigation if more information is uncovered.

And it begins...

I liked that part too...he basically said "well you can't specify that the guy has to tell the truth to get his immunity".

well now Roger has to either come out and say that he lied to everyone during SB week or say that Arlen is off his nut, which he definately is. should be interesting...sorta

What would be even more interesting would be if the Patriots actually, you know, defended themselves. I understand the focus being on the games during the season, but now it's just getting to be mudslinging from everyone outside of Foxboro. The silence is very disheartening...I want blood, damn it! Videos of other teams doing it, defamation lawsuits, someone showing the difference of the 2005 and 2006 rulebook.

I am just so damn tired of the anti-Patriots media. And even on comments sections of sports sites, non-Pats fans are getting sick of it.

Belichick has been taping since 2000, Goodell tells Specter

unfortunately, that is very, very bad news as it pertains to the Patriots legacy. people from around the country can now point at our 3 SB wins and say that we were breaking the rules the entire time, b/c BB admitted to doing it the whole time.

I doubt we'll get punished by the league any more, but man we are now going to hear a LOT about the "tarnished SB wins"

Last edited:

Well TV news reports (not that I've heard - but people from other boards are claiming) are reporting as fact that "Belichick has been spying since 2000"

Yes, I get it - no one here cares. Everything is sunshine and dasies. But if this is true, this is just opening a new gate into hell....

Belichick apparently admitted to Goodell that he had been videotaping all along and thought that he was within the rules. Goodell said he wasn't. Also, Goodwell said that even though there were only six tapes, the notes that were turned over went back to years before. Goodell assumed that the tapes were taped over and reused.

Last edited:

Bill Belichick has been illegally taping opponents' defensive signals since he became the New England Patriots' coach in 2000, according to Sen. Arlen Specter, who said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told him that during a meeting Wednesday.

This will be the news of the entire NFL off-season folks.

Get ready.

PatriotGreats - troll or not - has all the right in the world to be distressed right now.

SpyGate: Part 2 has now just been blown open.

PatriotGreats - troll or not - has all the right in the world to be distressed right now.

SpyGate: Part 2 has now just been blown open.

I think Spectergate may get blown open more. Specter isn't hiding his agenda at all. Sooner or later, the scandal starved media will catch on and start questioning his agenda in waves.

Patrick Leahey already said he doesn't foresee government hearings for this and he feels that Specter has a fan's agenda. As long as Leahey is the head of the Judiciary Committee, Specter is facing an uphill battle to get Congress involved. Leahey is the only one who can actually allow Senate hearings. I don't think this is going to be blown open all that much because Specter seems to have no support from anyone else in congress on this.

Remember this is the guy who came up with the single bullet theory in the JFK assassination. People around congress already think this guy is a conspiracy nut.

Last edited:
Now PFT is reporting that the Pats cheated the Steelers in 2004. This just never ends. :(

PFT also reported the Pats were going to cut Randy Moss before the 2007 season too.

Randy Moss is on the bubble and Tony Dungy is retiring.

I think Spectergate may get blown open more. Specter isn't hiding his agenda at all. Sooner or later, the scandal starved media will catch on and start questioning his agenda in waves.

Patrick Leahey already said he doesn't foresee government hearings for this and he feels that Specter has a fan's agenda. As long as Leahey is the head of the Judiciary Committee, Specter is facing an uphill battle to get Congress involved. I don't think this is going to be blown open all that much because Specter seems to have no support from anyone else in congress on this.

Remember this is the guy who came up with the single bullet theory in the JFK assassination. People around congress already think this guy is a conspiracy nut.

it doesn't matter if Specter says another word
or if Matt Walsh never comes forward
or if the NFL gives out any more penalties
or if Congress doesnt get involved

the bomb that dropped was the Pats admitting to breaking the rules throughout the SB run. THAT is the big deal.

Patrick Leahey already said he doesn't foresee government hearings for this and he feels that Specter has a fan's agenda. As long as Leahey is the head of the Judiciary Committee, Specter is facing an uphill battle to get Congress involved. Leahey is the only one who can actually allow Senate hearings. I don't think this is going to be blown open all that much because Specter seems to have no support from anyone else in congress on this.

It's sad but the truth about Specter doesn't matter much...pics could come out of him naked and painted up in Eagle colors peeing on a Pats logo and you would never hear more than a passing blurb on it from the talking heads. this whole thing is, and has ever been, about public perception. in that regard the damage is done and old man Specter gets his way.

it doesn't matter if Specter says another word
or if Matt Walsh never comes forward
or if the NFL gives out any more penalties
or if Congress doesnt get involved

the bomb that dropped was the Pats admitting to breaking the rules throughout the SB run. THAT is the big deal.
It's not a big deal at all to me. Seriously. Because the "sign stealing" is just one technique vs. another to gain the same result. What the Dolphins did was legal but what we didn't wasn't ? Bull.

I care about one thing - that Belichick told Goodall the truth back in September so there's no reason for any further sanctions. Other than that, I just raise my middle finger to everyone who thinks any of this means anything.

This kind of thing goes back to Paul Brown and before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes