PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell has no plans to reduce suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
How so?

In way, they are still positioning themselves? A lot can happen before 8/12/15 or nothing can happen and the judge will be pissed. The real issue isn't about the number of suspension days but that's what Goodell wants it to be. The real issues are about the violation of the CBA rules the excessive punishment without proof and trumped up charges to justify the punishment.

Quarterback's most precious tool is the football. Nothing happens to the footballs that the QB doesn't know about. In my mind, a some point in Brady's career with the Pats he talked to someone about how he likes the footballs. What he said was he never talked to anyone before the 2015 AFCCG game. So the league is saying he must have known sometime about the ball deflation to 12.5 but they are suggesting a lower PSI than that. That's BS on the part of the NFL.

The judge has to separate the punishment from the case to the violation and CBS procedures. if he does Brady wins. If he says split the 4 to 2 and move on, then there will be an appeal with hopefully the penalty set aside, Brady will play until the courts resolve the issue. Hopefully not during this season and the post season.

Just my thoughts.

Feel, yes. Pressure, no, before the JEST game.

Well, he's either bluffing or he truly believes what his lawyers are saying: the CBA is worded broadly enough to allow him to get away with anything. The latter seems in defiance of the judge's request that they try to settle, so I think it's a misguided negotiating tactic

The judge flat out told them to cut out the back and forth and Gödel is stupid enough to come out with yet another tough guy proclamation? He truly is a moron and Brady is going to kick his ass this week.

Just when we thought it wasn't possible, GoodLOL shocks us all and proves that he can indeed look like an even bigger fool.

Which judge called Goodell a liar? I missed this.. I'd love a link..

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ore-ravens-wins-appeal-eligible-reinstatement

"I find that the NFLPA carried its burden of showing that Rice did not mislead the Commissioner at the June 16th meeting, and therefore, that the imposition of a second suspension based on the same incident and the same known facts about the incident, was arbitrary," Jones also wrote.
That's what I assume Big-T is referring to.

Except that the public statement undermines that..

I am sorry but public opinion doesn't matter once it is in the court system.

I am sorry but public opinion doesn't matter once it is in the court system.

In this case, public opinion is in line with what the judge should be ruling. In other words, the obvious lies that have been brought to light destroy the impartiality of the process. If the process is the discussion point, then the process failed. Just because a CBA authorizes anyone to do anything, it does not mean you are allowed to operate counter to good faith. Judges as a rule do not mess with CBA ruling. However what Judge won't step in when obvious misstruths have been proven? I doubt many because the precedent then would be "Go ahead and lie it doesn't matter". Dangerous.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ore-ravens-wins-appeal-eligible-reinstatement

"I find that the NFLPA carried its burden of showing that Rice did not mislead the Commissioner at the June 16th meeting, and therefore, that the imposition of a second suspension based on the same incident and the same known facts about the incident, was arbitrary," Jones also wrote.
That's what I assume Big-T is referring to.

I think the lie part is revealed here

Goodell told CBS News that “when we met with Ray Rice and his representatives, it was ambiguous about what actually happened.” He said in a league letter that the video depicted an incident that was “starkly different” than the account relayed to him by Ray Rice.

Goodell said the “new information” in the video to justify revising Rice’s punishment and suspended him indefinitely.

But a federal judge, in an arbitration proceeding, rejected Goodell’s claims and found that Rice was truthful in the June proceeding. U.S. District Judge Barbara S. Jones found that “Rice did not mislead the Commissioner at the June 16th meeting, and therefore, that the imposition of a second suspension based on the same incident and the same known facts about the incident, was arbitrary.” Jones found that the Commissioner was not “fair or consistent” in his punishment. She also admonished the league for their failure to take domestic violence more seriously, prior to a public backlash.

Perhaps it is sinking in on the 31 that public opinion is shifting and not how they want. The releasing of the transcript was the turning point and the NFL is getting hammered.

This statement is perhaps a calculated way to tank, provoke Bermsn to end the charade, then posture that he hung tough.

Well, he's either bluffing or he truly believes what his lawyers are saying: the CBA is worded broadly enough to allow him to get away with anything. The latter seems in defiance of the judge's request that they try to settle, so I think it's a misguided negotiating tactic

Thing is, no matter how broadly they think it's worded...it still has to abide by basic US Labor Laws.

Goodell is acting like he knows it is going to get thrown out and he will say afterwards "I did my best"

Thing is, no matter how broadly they think it's worded...it still has to abide by basic US Labor Laws.

This seems to be where the Article 46ers are going astray. Nobody has the authority to do whatever they want.

You cant sign away basic constitutional rights.

You cant sign away basic constitutional rights.

Actually, you most certainly can. Every time an NDA is signed the signer is signing away his first amendment rights to say whatever he wants, for example.

Actually, you most certainly can. Every time an NDA is signed the signer is signing away his first amendment rights to say whatever he wants, for example.

This post is comically inaccurate. I recommend that you read the first amendment.

Do you really think that's accurate, or more like an NDA has economic consequences - you still have 1st Amd rights (you can't go to jail) there just are consequences if you do speak up.

Even for RG, I find this bizarre. Why comment at all ?
He is being a politician here. By throwing some words of praise at Brady, he seems magnanimous. He seems like he has no bias or agenda. He seems like he is above the fray.

Of course, it all just more of the same load of total bull he has been spewing for months, but that's the point of him commenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick