PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Owners wants Goodell to reduce 4 game suspension and end Deflategate once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hope that Brady doesn't accept any deals.

The picks are gone, and Brady is suspended, but the discovery from a defamation case would clear Brady's name and expose the corrupt NFL* for all to see.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the Pat's cut him immediately, they didn't build a statue of him.

It's Baltimore, he would have played on work release if he had been convicted of double homicide.

Do you have any realistic ideas on how he could do that?
Oh god I don't know if anything would work, but even though I do think it's fair to say that whatever tide had started to turn back in his favor last fall has not resulted in clearing his name, the suspension going away, and certainly the team still taking the draft and fine penalties. So I hate to fall in the "gotta do something!!!" camp, but I think he does. I don't, however, see some elaborate ruse where he ends up telling Goodell to **** himself as the dream.

I think some sort of long-form interview situation is probably best. Not a late night talk show, not 5 minutes on a sports channel - he's Tom Brady. Pick a national network, they'll air it, and he can choose who he talks to. Maybe get it put into print simultaneously too, in the Atlantic or something the story has certainly gotten political enough where they could print the interview alongside a bunch of pictures of him with his kids, people love that **** plus his kids are adorable. Tell the whole story to a serious reporter - Brokaw, someone like that, not just a sports guy or some chump from the newsroom - which would stand in nice contrast to the league when he talks about them leaking false information about the 'violation' through ESPN Twitter accounts, etc. Give America a heartfelt and sincere avalanche of facts: this is what happened, these are things the league claimed happened without proof, these are things the league flat-out lied about, of course I laughed about it and didn't take it seriously on the radio call-in the morning after because it's the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard, etc.

This is problematic as he continues to pursue his options legally, I'm not sure what (if anything) he couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't say on the subject due to those proceedings. I suppose in any interview there might be questions he'd have to "no comment" on unless he drops all the court cases, but in a 1-on-1 I think that looks a little better than him taking questions after a press conference and having to refuse to answer a bunch of them. Defamation suits and all this other stuff sounds fine and good, and maybe in the long game that will work out in his favor. Personally I think it's mostly fantasy that such a suit would expose the league for all its misdeeds, end with Goodell ousted from office in disgrace, and Tom Brady's name will be cleared leaving only a trail of apologetic admirers - it'd probably end up being a mixed bag of results from a PR perspective, and even then maybe not for a year, or more. He's just 4 months from missing these games, maybe it's unrealistic to expect him to step out due to the ongoing court stuff in the meantime but if he does in fact end up sitting out those games then he might as well take the gloves off.

All of which, of course, is complicated by the fact that as it stands according to the courts anything negative he does could be considered conduct detrimental and result in a lifetime ban which would be legally irrevocable by anyone other than Goodell if he chose to do so.

Oh god I don't know if anything would work, but even though I do think it's fair to say that whatever tide had started to turn back in his favor last fall has not resulted in clearing his name, the suspension going away, and certainly the team still taking the draft and fine penalties. So I hate to fall in the "gotta do something!!!" camp, but I think he does. I don't, however, see some elaborate ruse where he ends up telling Goodell to **** himself as the dream.

I think some sort of long-form interview situation is probably best. Not a late night talk show, not 5 minutes on a sports channel - he's Tom Brady. Pick a national network, they'll air it, and he can choose who he talks to. Maybe get it put into print simultaneously too, in the Atlantic or something the story has certainly gotten political enough where they could print the interview alongside a bunch of pictures of him with his kids, people love that **** plus his kids are adorable. Tell the whole story to a serious reporter - Brokaw, someone like that, not just a sports guy or some chump from the newsroom - which would stand in nice contrast to the league when he talks about them leaking false information about the 'violation' through ESPN Twitter accounts, etc. Give America a heartfelt and sincere avalanche of facts: this is what happened, these are things the league claimed happened without proof, these are things the league flat-out lied about, of course I laughed about it and didn't take it seriously on the radio call-in the morning after because it's the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard, etc.

This is problematic as he continues to pursue his options legally, I'm not sure what (if anything) he couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't say on the subject due to those proceedings. I suppose in any interview there might be questions he'd have to "no comment" on unless he drops all the court cases, but in a 1-on-1 I think that looks a little better than him taking questions after a press conference and having to refuse to answer a bunch of them. Defamation suits and all this other stuff sounds fine and good, and maybe in the long game that will work out in his favor. Personally I think it's mostly fantasy that such a suit would expose the league for all its misdeeds, end with Goodell ousted from office in disgrace, and Tom Brady's name will be cleared leaving only a trail of apologetic admirers - it'd probably end up being a mixed bag of results from a PR perspective, and even then maybe not for a year, or more. He's just 4 months from missing these games, maybe it's unrealistic to expect him to step out due to the ongoing court stuff in the meantime but if he does in fact end up sitting out those games then he might as well take the gloves off.

All of which, of course, is complicated by the fact that as it stands according to the courts anything negative he does could be considered conduct detrimental and result in a lifetime ban which would be legally irrevocable by anyone other than Goodell if he chose to do so.

Regardless of what people think of Goodell's "absolute power" it doesn't extend to Brady speaking out on his innocence or pursuing his legal rights, Goodell has no authority over either. Brady can push this as far as he wants legally and speak out on his innocence as much as he wants, there's nothing Goodell can do about either? Additionally he can go after Goodell for defaming him by lying to the courts and Goodell can't do sh.t about that either.

Regardless of what people think of Goodell's "absolute power" it doesn't extend to Brady speaking out on his innocence or pursuing his legal rights, Goodell has no authority over either. Brady can push this as far as he wants legally and speak out on his innocence as much as he wants, there's nothing Goodell can do about either? Additionally he can go after Goodell for defaming him by lying to the courts and Goodell can't do sh.t about that either.
The last court 2-1 ruling essentially did affirm Goodell's absolute power over what Brady holds most dear - his ability to play football games.

Brady can do all the things you suggest, yes. Goodell could also choose to determine that a player who brought such a defamation suit or even went on TV to call him a liar was participating in conduct detrimental to the league, suspend said player, and demand a retraction and public apology as a condition of being reinstated. And the courts would (presently) find no recourse to stop such action.

Would he do that? Probably not. But last January we all would have though this probably wouldn't get this far. I think ultimately a lot of this stuff in the CBA about the commissioner's powers, fairness of punishment, all the stuff that's being adjudicated in the Brady case will get changed for the better to prevent players in the future from similar fates. But that doesn't help Tom much now, so what he does and how he handles it does matter.

People are radically overestimating Goodells reach. Brady could go on TV tomorrow and say Goodell has been lying all through this and there's nothing Goodell could do about it.

People are radically overestimating Goodells reach. Brady could go on TV tomorrow and say Goodell has been lying all through this and there's nothing Goodell could do about it.
In the longview, you're right. Also for all Goodell is I don't think he would take action in the case of such events because it would be so blatantly personal. It's why the bulk of the first post you quoted from me was about Brady going on the offensive from a PR perspective in addition to his legal battle.

But if Goodell decided out of the clear blue sky that Brady's suspension needed to be 8 games instead, who would stop him?
The owners?
The CBA?
The NFLPA?
The 2nd circuit court?
Public opinion?
Don Yee?
Kraft?
Brady appealing the suspension...to Goodell?

I agree. I actually think the more quiet the Brady camp is, the bigger the thud will be when the other shoe drops on Goodell's head.

I happen to believe the owners DO want to settle, even down to 1 game in fear of a Brady suit. I don't believe Goodell for 1 second.

Defamation suits are about money and if you can prove the intent to stain a person's character. I think that we'll find that intent during the discovery process. And, Brady/Giselle have plenty of money, along with the union and even Kraft himself if he truly wants to support Brady in this.

I think even a threat of a lawsuit would have the owners shaking.

I am sorry, but any Pats Hater who doesn't believe Harbaugh kicked this thing off after Brady suggested he "read the rule book", is a moron at this point.

The other dead giveaway is Indy's equipment manager, Sean Sullivan said this:

"Everyone knows NE deflates footballs."

Umm, if that was true, why on earth wasn't Brady caught before the AFC Championship game in January of 2015? He's been in the league for 15 years and everyone knows Goodell is looking for ANY excuse to conjure up some kind of a "cheating" claim to punish and take away draft picks like when he lied about Spygate and BB mocking Mangini on a sideline in broad daylight as retaliation from a January 2007 incident in Foxborough..........So, why would it take that long to catch McNally in the act?

It's so obvious

So, all you'd have to do is show the pattern of intent in chronological order from these people:

1. Harbaugh
2. Pagano (he is Harbaugh's friend and old DC)
3. Grigson (It would have been passed on to Grigson)
4. Irsay (see above. The drug addled owner is a loser and probably loved the idea)
5. Goodell
6. Vincent
7. Kensil
8. Chris Mortensen (the story was immediately being reported that Sunday Night which is suspicious)
9. Bob Kravitz

So, if you get all of these people's phones, computers, etc, and look at the evidence, that will be your intent, because all of it would have transpired AFTER the divisional round game when Brady suggested Harbaugh stop whining and to "check the rule book".

I think the Krafts know this, Brady, BB, everyone knows it, it's just a matter of suing for defamation to get access to their phones and computers, and then calling each to a federal stand to see if they will perjure themselves or essentially admit they concocted this idea.

Also, you just need to present the 56 proven lies in the Wells Report and simply go right on down the list asking Goodell/Pash on a federal stand how there can be any punishment with such a flawed and inconsistent "independent" report.

I think this whole time Goodell just thinks he can intimidate Kraft into telling Brady to end it, but if I am Brady, I have ZERO intent in doing so because I have the money, and the union should have a VERY strong interest as well.

On the flip side, Brady can call the CEO of Under Armor, Uggs, etc, all his charity people or sponsors and ask what they do with clients that are "cheaters" and liars" and how dropping Brady will affect him financially, to show financial harm from this (even if they won;'t be dropping him).

That would easily show financial harm, outside of his reputation. This is about principle. Brady isn't going to lose millions, but this would be a landmark case, and we can't have entities colluding for financial gain, which is what Goodell is doing at the behest of 30 owners, minus Kraft and the Packers.

Lastly, I think Ted Wells is ticked off at this. I think he was told to go find stuff, couldn't find any hard evidence, and then Pash/Goodell took over, so I think his own integrity has been tarnished here, too. Simply because, regardless of what Goodell could or could not find for evidence, they were going to frame Brady as best they could.

He was told to shut up and move on and I think he could flip. Maybe not, but it's worth a shot.

So, call Ted Wells on behalf of Brady and have him honestly testify to see when he was removed from this "independent" report, because at some point, he was pushed aside by Pash.

Why would Wells say "Brady fully co-operated and offered his phone" and then the NFL claim otherwise, but only in Brady's appeal?

They're so stupid and arrogant that they don't even realize that it contradicts their own report. They thought it was an Ace in the hole, so to speak, but even Berman didn't buy it.

Sloppiest and most obvious framejob I've ever seen, short of Mantiwoc County framing Steven Avery.

What part of the events since 01/2015 leads anyone to believe that G0odell can't do whatever he wants, whenever he wants? Who is going to stop him?

In the longview, you're right. Also for all Goodell is I don't think he would take action in the case of such events because it would be so blatantly personal. It's why the bulk of the first post you quoted from me was about Brady going on the offensive from a PR perspective in addition to his legal battle.

But if Goodell decided out of the clear blue sky that Brady's suspension needed to be 8 games instead, who would stop him?
The owners?
The CBA?
The NFLPA?
The 2nd circuit court?
Public opinion?
Don Yee?
Kraft?
Brady appealing the suspension...to Goodell?

Goodell cannot go back and increase the suspension, he tried that with Rice and the courts shot him down.

Goodell cannot go back and increase the suspension, he tried that with Rice and the courts shot him down.

That was the personal conduct policy. This is article 46. Judges have already ruled: he can do anything he wants, whenever he wants, for any reason he wants. No one can question him.

Irrelevant. The hypothetical @Gronk is pondering is Brady going on a PR war against Goodell and the corrupt NFL front office and Goodell calling that "conduct detrimental to the game" and suspending Brady for it.

Eh...kind of. That's not a totally clean comparison but that was about Goodell lying about when he had certain facts of the case (whether he knew Rice punched his wife that night), and trying to impose a harsher penalty for the same offense.

All he would need to do to apply that differently here would be to say that - if Tom sued the league or talked **** or whatever - his most recent actions were additional 'detrimental' to the league and thus required additional suspension time.

Brady lost the PR war.

Brady should have been on every TV show saying "Hey, read the Wells report, Ted Wells said they didn't need my phone. He said that. Why would I be concerned about getting rid of it after Wells, the NFL guy said that. Goodell has been accused of perjury by a judge, why should anyone be surprised that he keeps lying. Hell even the hired gun Exponent said they couldn't be sure if anything happened and the NFL paid them to find something. Every legitimate scientific organisation has proven no air was ever let out and by the way, the Colts balls were also measured under inflated, you know why, because it gets cold in New England"

Doing this would have zero impact on any court case and help immensely.

All he would need to do to apply that differently here would be to say that - if Tom sued the league or talked **** or whatever - his most recent actions were additional 'detrimental' to the league and thus required additional suspension time.

Good point. People are wondering why Brady hasn't come out and said anything. He just got busted for nothing...imagine if he came out and slammed the league hard. The court said Goodell can rule however he wants so who's to say he couldn't suspend Brady for a year for disparaging comments about the League.

Brady lost the PR war.

Brady should have been on every TV show saying "Hey, read the Wells report, Ted Wells said they didn't need my phone. He said that. Why would I be concerned about getting rid of it after Wells, the NFL guy said that. Goodell has been accused of perjury by a judge, why should anyone be surprised that he keeps lying. Hell even the hired gun Exponent said they couldn't be sure if anything happened and the NFL paid them to find something. Every legitimate scientific organisation has proven no air was ever let out and by the way, the Colts balls were also measured under inflated, you know why, because it gets cold in New England"

Doing this would have zero impact on any court case and help immensely.

I don;t know about that. That is true for now, but I've said since Day 1 he needs to sue because I knew the Wells Report was going to be a framejob by the end of Page 2. Wells had no premise in his report, it was confusing on Page 1, so that's how I knew it would be intentionally "grey", so to speak, which is an old lawyer tactic.

However, if the entire plan all along was to win the appeal, come off as the winner with a federal judge yet again calling Goodell a liar, which is what Judges Doty, Jones and Berman have all essentially done here, that would be good enough for Brady and the NFLPA yet again.

However, if you start doing the desperate PR tour, it may have backfired with this appeal last summer.

And now? He's got his Ace in the Hole, with a defamation suit, that simply needs to happen on principle alone.

Brady has no pulse if he's enjoying watching Goodell run around right now lying and lying some more on Brady's good name he earned in the NFL for over 15 years.

After Brady launches his defamation suit, he can make a quick statement about how he's not going to be called a cheater and liar and he certainly did not commit perjury last summer.

I happen to believe the owners DO want to settle, even down to 1 game in fear of a Brady suit. I don't believe Goodell for 1 second.
If the owners could get that settlement they'd be fools not to. But I don't think a deal for any amount of games, or admission or implication of guilt, is something Brady would accept. Nor should he.

If the owners are scared of a lawsuit they know the price - Goodell's head, Brady's suspension overturned, future draft picks as compensation for those lost, and a full apology from the league. Brady will not ask for repayment of legal fees and instead will donate an equal sum of money to found a charity or something, just to reinforce who the good guy is. Also no games in Mexico or China or any of that ******** (damn I got greedy). I think that's probably too much for the bulk of them to approve.

I liked your entire post and you may be right, it's just such a long-term prospect at the end of a charade that has lasted too long already.

Eh...kind of. That's not a totally clean comparison but that was about Goodell lying about when he had certain facts of the case (whether he knew Rice punched his wife that night), and trying to impose a harsher penalty for the same offense.

Once again, people are grossly, overestimating Goodell'ls authority. Brady can speak out all he wants it doesn't violate any NFL code. If you guys want to believe he's now a GOD feel free to do so, nothing anyone says will change that.

Irrelevant. The hypothetical @Gronk is pondering is Brady going on a PR war against Goodell and the corrupt NFL front office and Goodell calling that "conduct detrimental to the game" and suspending Brady for it.

And I disagree, I don't believe Goodell can make that stretch at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back