PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Glazer/Schefter: Cromartie traded to Jets for 2011 3rd (2nd if conditions met)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that you have a higher estimation of Cromartie's abilities than most Jets fans.

I watched every Jets game last season. Lito Sheppard was horrendous compared to Cromartie. Cromartie has gotten ripped over not tackling, but he can still run with almost any WR in this league. The Jets pass rush coupled with his ability to succeed in press coverage and Revis being on the other side is a perfect fit for him.

It's interesting that so many people think this guy is a bum. It seems like people want him to suck because he was on the rival Chargers and is now on the rival Jets. Lito is garbage compared to Cromartie.

Are you saying you wouldn't trade a 2011 3rd round pick for Cromartie with one year left on his contract at 1.225 million, and the potential that working with BB brings out the best in him again? I'm sorry that's a risk I'm willing to take.

I watched every Jets game last season. Lito Sheppard was horrendous compared to Cromartie. Cromartie has gotten ripped over not tackling, but he can still run with almost any WR in this league. The Jets pass rush coupled with his ability to succeed in press coverage and Revis being on the other side is a perfect fit for him.

It's interesting that so many people think this guy is a bum. It seems like people want him to suck because he was on the rival Chargers and is now on the rival Jets. Lito is garbage compared to Cromartie.

Are you saying you wouldn't trade a 2011 3rd round pick for Cromartie with one year left on his contract at 1.225 million, and the potential that working with BB brings out the best in him again? I'm sorry that's a risk I'm willing to take.

I'm aware how bad Sheppard was. Cromartie was terrible in his own right. While he may be able to "run with almost any WR in this league," that doesn't mean he can, you know, cover them. The Chargers have a pretty mediocre secondary. One pretty good CB in Jammer and a decent safety in Weddle. Yet they let Cromartie go for relatively little and the entire time we heard nary a peep about teams being interested in the guy.

And I'm saying no, I wouldn't trade a 3rd for Cromartie. Because he's simply not that good.

Yes, I think he sucks because he was on the Chargers and is now going to the Jets and it has nothing to do that he lost his starting job because of performance on a bad pass defense and that he was dangled for two weeks and the best the Chargers could get for him was a conditional 3rd round pick in 2011. Yes, normally when a player loses his starting position on a bad squad and your team wants to trade you and can't get a good trade offer, I think stud. But he was on the Chargers.

I didn't want him when there were Maroney for Cromartie rumors and I don't care that he went to the Jets.

I love these threads like these it really brings out peoples true colors. Yeah I think he could succeed in the Jets system early in his career but not in the decline for a guy that can run down every receiver in the league he sure as hell couldn't touch Greene until he cheeped him in the end zone.

cromartie has 7 kids with 5 different women......

so apparently not covering was a theme in his life recently.....

you should plant vixens in his hotel when the jets visit.....get bellicheck on this.....

I'm aware how bad Sheppard was. Cromartie was terrible in his own right. While he may be able to "run with almost any WR in this league," that doesn't mean he can, you know, cover them. The Chargers have a pretty mediocre secondary. One pretty good CB in Jammer and a decent safety in Weddle. Yet they let Cromartie go for relatively little and the entire time we heard nary a peep about teams being interested in the guy.

And I'm saying no, I wouldn't trade a 3rd for Cromartie. Because he's simply not that good.

The complaint about Cromartie isn't that he can't cover people. It's that he shies away from contact and is unwilling in run support. He is still a pretty good cover corner.

He was traded b/c supposedly a lot of his teammates were pissed after the non-tackle of Greene, AJ Smith was a little fed up with his lax attitude, and they wanted to shake up the locker room.

Boldin has been on the block the last 2 years, and no one has taken a bite. People not wanting to trade for a guy isn't always about giving up the draft pick, it's about having to pay the guy. Cromartie's deal is up and will want to be extended, Boldin wants to get paid.

Cromartie is better than all of the CB's currently on our team, and he's the #2 CB on NY. Just think about that.

The complaint about Cromartie isn't that he can't cover people. It's that he shies away from contact and is unwilling in run support. He is still a pretty good cover corner.

He was traded b/c supposedly a lot of his teammates were pissed after the non-tackle of Greene, AJ Smith was a little fed up with his lax attitude, and they wanted to shake up the locker room.

What you're (conveniently) omitting is that Cromartie was already in the doghouse prior to the Jet's game in the playoffs. He was seen as a liability throughout the year.

Boldin has been on the block the last 2 years, and no one has taken a bite. People not wanting to trade for a guy isn't always about giving up the draft pick, it's about having to pay the guy. Cromartie's deal is up and will want to be extended, Boldin wants to get paid.

Exactly. Boldin has a contract and durability issues. Cromartie is relatively cheap and still that's all the Chargers could get for him.

Cromartie is better than all of the CB's currently on our team, and he's the #2 CB on NY. Just think about that.

I don't need to think about it because it's just dumb. Bodden is a better CB than Cromartie by a solid margin.

edit: Yes, I forgot Bodden is an UFA. I'd like him resigned as he's significantly better than Cro.

Last edited:
What you're (conveniently) omitting is that Cromartie was already in the doghouse prior to the Jet's game in the playoffs. He was seen as a liability throughout the year.

Exactly. Boldin has a contract and durability issues. Cromartie is relatively cheap and still that's all the Chargers could get for him.

I don't need to think about it because it's just dumb. Bodden is a better CB than Cromartie by a solid margin.

??? Both Cromartie and Boldin have one year left at reasonable prices and will need to be extended after the season. Boldin makes about 3 million and Cromartie 1.225 million. The theory that "no one" really had interest in him is comparable to no one trading for Boldin b/c teams were taking the money into concern. Surely someone would want to trade for a guy like Boldin, wouldn't they? Yet he still hasn't been dealt. It's not because of his talent, it's because of the money. Some of the same might be applied to Cromartie. He is still a good talent but he only has one year left, so you could potentially be giving up a pick for one year of the guy's services. That could scare teams off, just like it did in the pursuit of Boldin last year.

Bodden is not currently on our roster considering he is an UFA. And even if he was, he's overrated by PatsFans. He's a solid guy but nothing to write home about.

the running joke on the chargers boards is that if you could only make cromartie believe that the ballcarrier was an ovulating woman....
he would be on top of that in a heartbeat....

??? Both Cromartie and Boldin have one year left at reasonable prices and will need to be extended after the season. Boldin makes about 3 million and Cromartie 1.225 million. The theory that "no one" really had interest in him is comparable to no one trading for Boldin b/c teams were taking the money into concern. Surely someone would want to trade for a guy like Boldin, wouldn't they? Yet he still hasn't been dealt. It's not because of his talent, it's because of the money. Some of the same might be applied to Cromartie. He is still a good talent but he only has one year left, so you could potentially be giving up a pick for one year of the guy's services. That could scare teams off, just like it did in the pursuit of Boldin last year.

I was referring to prior years, not this offseason. And, like I said, he has had some pretty consistent durability issues (though Cromartie had his injury, as well).

Bodden is not currently on our roster considering he is an UFA. And even if he was, he's overrated by PatsFans. He's a solid guy but nothing to write home about.

If he's "a solid guy but nothing to write home about," then what is Cromartie? The homeless guy talking to himself outside the Metro stop while nursing a bottle of MD 20/20?

Last edited:
the running joke on the chargers boards is that if you could only make cromartie believe that the ballcarrier was an ovulating woman....
he would be on top of that in a heartbeat....

Because Asante was such a great tackler too. CB's aren't LB's, they're not expected to rack up 100 tackles. I can deal with a guy who is a good cover corner and not the greatest tackler.

We traded a 3rd and a 5th for Derrick Burgess b/c we felt we had a hole at OLB. Cromartie could be had for a 3rd in 2011 and we have a hole at CB with Springs being old and Bodden being a FA. I would take my chances on Cromartie for a 2011 3rd in a heartbeat. Honestly, what are the chances you are going to get a guy in the 3rd round of the draft that is going to be better than Cromartie? Slim.

Re: Glazer: Jets on verge of getting Cromartie for high pick in 2011

So they traded Lito Sheppard for Lito Sheppard II. Cromartie is one of the most overrated players in the league. One good year that was way overrated and people think he is a good CB. The Chargers didn't trade him for a conditional draft pick because he is a stud.

Pretty much. I didn't want him when people were talking about the Pats trading for him, and I'm not worried now that the Jets have him.

Because Asante was such a great tackler too. CB's aren't LB's, they're not expected to rack up 100 tackles. I can deal with a guy who is a good cover corner and not the greatest tackler.

We traded a 3rd and a 5th for Derrick Burgess b/c we felt we had a hole at OLB. Cromartie could be had for a 3rd in 2011 and we have a hole at CB with Springs being old and Bodden being a FA. I would take my chances on Cromartie for a 2011 3rd in a heartbeat. Honestly, what are the chances you are going to get a guy in the 3rd round of the draft that is going to be better than Cromartie? Slim.

Well... the Jets picked Shonn Greene in the 3rd this past year, as a reference point. And even still, it's not about getting someone as good as Cromartie. It's about getting someone who can be a strong contributor at controlled cost for 4-5 years, rather than a player who's overrated in the first place and also in a contract year. Next year, rather than having a second round pick, they're going to have a free agent who may or may not sign with them, and even if he does, he's going to cost a lot of money. If the Jets don't make some serious noise this year, this trade will look absolutely ******ed in hindsight.

Last edited:
It's not about getting someone as good as Cromartie. It's about getting someone who can be a strong contributor at controlled cost for 4-5 years, rather than a player who's overrated in the first place and also in a contract year. Next year, rather than having a second round pick, they're going to have a free agent who may or may not sign with them, and even if he does, he's going to cost a lot of money. If the Jets don't make some serious noise this year, this trade will look absolutely ******ed in hindsight.

an excellent point lost amidst all the hysteria

I think everyone should take a deep breath. The guy had one absolutely amazing season and hasn't been the same since. He has legal problems, he has reported hip problems, he has discipline problems, and by all accounts he is LAZY! I swear NFL players live on name alone for years after their game has fallen apart. This is not Cromartie 07 this is a much much different player.

I think everyone should take a deep breath. The guy had one absolutely amazing season and hasn't been the same since. He has legal problems, he has reported hip problems, he has discipline problems, and by all accounts he is LAZY! I swear NFL players live on name alone for years after their game has fallen apart. This is not Cromartie 07 this is a much much different player.
And good evening to you too. :D

Well... the Jets picked Shonn Greene in the 3rd this past year, as a reference point. And even still, it's not about getting someone as good as Cromartie. It's about getting someone who can be a strong contributor at controlled cost for 4-5 years, rather than a player who's overrated in the first place and also in a contract year. Next year, rather than having a second round pick, they're going to have a free agent who may or may not sign with them, and even if he does, he's going to cost a lot of money. If the Jets don't make some serious noise this year, this trade will look absolutely ******ed in hindsight.

There are no guarantees in the draft. Even if it escalates to a 2nd rounder, look at what we've done with some of our 2nd rounders. We're considered one of the better drafting teams and we've had guys like Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, Terrence Wheatley, etc. Quite a few guys that didn't pan out or haven't panned out so far. We traded a 3rd and a 5th for a washed up Burgess, but we don't want a CB for a 3rd in his prime who has shown flashes of brillance?

You know what you're getting with Cromartie. He's proven to be at least a decent and at times a great CB in the NFL. Why shouldn't we be looking to make some noise now? Brady only has so many years left. A 2011 3rd or 2nd wouldn't likely make much of an impact in their first year anyway. Rookies generally see limited playing time and are worked in by the 2nd/3rd year.

do you realize there is a Myra Kraft associated with the Patriots?

how does BB and Bob sell a deadbeat like this clown to her?

I highly doubt the Patriots EVER considered signing Cromartie

There are no guarantees in the draft. Even if it escalates to a 2nd rounder, look at what we've done with some of our 2nd rounders. We're considered one of the better drafting teams and we've had guys like Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, Terrence Wheatley, etc. Quite a few guys that didn't pan out or haven't panned out so far. We traded a 3rd and a 5th for a washed up Burgess, but we don't want a CB for a 3rd in his prime who has shown flashes of brillance?

You know what you're getting with Cromartie. He's proven to be at least a decent and at times a great CB in the NFL. Why shouldn't we be looking to make some noise now? Brady only has so many years left. A 2011 3rd or 2nd wouldn't likely make much of an impact in their first year anyway. Rookies generally see limited playing time and are worked in by the 2nd/3rd year.

Yes, you know that you're getting a decent CB for one year, and then he's an UFA and you have to overpay to keep him.

Even granting that a 2nd round pick has, say, a 50% chance of ever being a starter for you, I'll take it over Cromartie any day, solely because it's cost-controlled for 4-5 years. Moves like this one are mortgaging the Jets' future, and frankly, given the strength of their passing game, I just don't see them going that far this year anyways, so it will be looked back on as a boneheaded move.

Last edited:
Yes, you know that you're getting a decent CB for one year, and then he's an UFA and you have to overpay to keep him.

Even granting that a 2nd round pick has, say, a 50% chance of ever being a starter for you, I'll take it over Cromartie any day, solely because it's cost-controlled for 4-5 years. Moves like this one are mortgaging the Jets' future, and frankly, given the strength of their passing game, I just don't see them going that far this year anyways, so it will be looked back on as a boneheaded move.

I understand what you're saying, but it would only be a 2nd rounder if he performs well. If he sucks, you had him for one year and gave up a 3rd, similar to what we did with Burgess. Then you still have that 2nd rounder to use.

If he comes in and is great and performs well and it escalates to a 2nd, then it worked out for both teams. Then he is worthy of keeping and "being paid."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore