PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Glazer/Schefter: Cromartie traded to Jets for 2011 3rd (2nd if conditions met)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cromartie will face the #2 WR more, but Jammer still usually matched up against the #1 WR, not Cromartie.

No. The Chargers didn't match up their CBs; they played sides. You could scheme to get your number 1 against Cromartie, if you wanted the matchup. Can't do that against NY, since Revis follows his man.

Throw in the fact that the chargers shifted from pressure man press, bump and run (which they ran in Cromartie's best season, and which the Jets play) to zone (where Cromartie wasn't as good) and this looks like a good move for the Jets.

Bottom line, its a win-win move. Jets upgrade their secondary without giving up a pick in this year's draft and despite the FA restrictions, and SD gets a pick for a player it no longer wanted.

No. The Chargers didn't match up their CBs; they played sides. You could scheme to get your number 1 against Cromartie, if you wanted the matchup. Can't do that against NY, since Revis follows his man.

Throw in the fact that the chargers shifted from pressure man press, bump and run (which they ran in Cromartie's best season, and which the Jets play) to zone (where Cromartie wasn't as good) and this looks like a good move for the Jets.

Bottom line, its a win-win move. Jets upgrade their secondary without giving up a pick in this year's draft and despite the FA restrictions, and SD gets a pick for a player it no longer wanted.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. Smart move.

Who did the Dolphins or Falcons lose last year who would be considered a significant starter loss?

Seriously? Ronny Brown and Michael Turner don't qualify?

My point with Jenkins is that he may never be himself again.

May? Bottom line, the Jets managed to have the #1 D in the league without any contribution at all from Jenkins 3/4 of the season. Even if all he becomes is a better rotational player than Howard Green as a backup NT (and that's a worst case scenario that doesn't seem likely), the defense gets better. And if he returns at a probowl level (not his all pro former self) . . . watch out.

I think their defense is great. Don't think their front seven is nearly as good as the front seven of the 2007 Chargers (who had one of the best front seven of the last decade) and I don't think highly of Cromartie. How is that being a homer.

Agreed. Though the Jets front 7 is stronger up the middle, the OLBs on that charger D were just sick, and the DEs were very, very good.,

As much as it pains me to say it (and makes me sick to my stomach) would you trade our 2010 roster for the Jets? Other than Brady are we better at any other positions anymore?

WR - Randy Moss for Braylon Edwards, despite the age difference. I'd have said Welker over Cotchery, but obviously not after the injury. NT - I'd trade Jenkins for Wilfork, since your guy is younger and healthier, though Jenkins is all-world in his own right. DE - Warren is at least as good as Ellis, and younger. After that, the Jets have little depth. LG - Mankins over Faneca, at this point in their careers K - Gostowski over Folk is an easy choice. P - I have no idea who your punter is (Hansen?) but he can't be any worse than ours.

Other than that . . . no. Our ILB (Harris, Scott) are better than yours, our OLB (Pace, Thomas) are better than yours, our CB (Revis, Cromartie) are better than yours, our S (Rhodes, Leonhard) are better than yours (though Merriweather has flashed), our other OL (Brick, Mangold, Moore, Woody) are better than yours, our RBs (Greene, Leon) are better than yours, and our top TE (Keller) is better than yours.

That said, Brady makes up for a lot of deficiencies.

Yeah and Brett Favre was 40 years old last year and had the best season of his career. What's your point?

Excellent point. Therefore, TO would be a great pickup. After all, TO and Favre are alike in so many salient ways . . .

WR - Randy Moss for Braylon Edwards, despite the age difference. I'd have said Welker over Cotchery, but obviously not after the injury. NT - I'd trade Jenkins for Wilfork, since your guy is younger and healthier, though Jenkins is all-world in his own right. DE - Warren is at least as good as Ellis, and younger. After that, the Jets have little depth. LG - Mankins over Faneca, at this point in their careers K - Gostowski over Folk is an easy choice. P - I have no idea who your punter is (Hansen?) but he can't be any worse than ours.

Other than that . . . no. Our ILB (Harris, Scott) are better than yours, our OLB (Pace, Thomas) are better than yours, our CB (Revis, Cromartie) are better than yours, our S (Rhodes, Leonhard) are better than yours (though Merriweather has flashed), our other OL (Brick, Mangold, Moore, Woody) are better than yours, our RBs (Greene, Leon) are better than yours, and our top TE (Keller) is better than yours.

I would take Meriweather over any safety on the Jets.

With this trade Cromartie will be able to go his entire career without tackling Shonn Greene.

look at it this way..........this pretty much assures the jets won't be getting asomughoaoeioeoa

so this is one case of subtraction by addition

and yet the pats still trashed the jets and won the division

Re: Glazer: Jets on verge of getting Cromartie for high pick in 2011

Say what you want about the Jets, but they've been outcoaching us and now are out-FO ing us !!

Let's wait for the BB/Kraft response, let's hope we see one.

They outcoached us to a tune of a 9-7 record (really 8-8) and their vaunted defense allowed Brady and Peyton to hang 30+ on it. Yeah we are doomed!

Re: Glazer: Jets on verge of getting Cromartie for high pick in 2011

They outcoached us to a tune of a 9-7 record (really 8-8) and their vaunted defense allowed Brady and Peyton to hang 30+ on it. Yeah we are doomed!

the more things change, the more they stay the same......we are now exactly where we were after mangina's first year with the jets.......they are ever so prime for the flop this year and sanchez will be leaned on hard for their problems

First, if you play sides, the LCB faces the #1 WR a majority of the time. Most primary WRs line up on the right side of the line because most QBs are right handed and it is easier for them to do their first read at the right side of the line. Again, being a LCB, Jammer got the #1 WR most of the time.

It is a risk for the Jets. No question about it. It is indisputable. You are crazy to argue otherwise or a Jets homer. It could pay off big or Cromartie could be Lito Sheppard 2.0 and I am better the latter.

Seriously, this reaction is like when the Jets traded for Braylon Edwards. Everyone on this board said he was going to be an elite WR with the Jets and he was the same ole Braylon who shows flashes of brilliance, but mostly is a guy who can't hold onto the ball and can be taken out of games.

I expect the results to be similiar with Cromartie.

Seriously, this reaction is like when the Jets traded for Braylon Edwards. Everyone on this board said he was going to be an elite WR with the Jets and he was the same ole Braylon who shows flashes of brilliance, but mostly is a guy who can't hold onto the ball and can be taken out of games.

I expect the results to be similiar with Cromartie.

This may, or may not, be true, but you're underrating Cromartie's ability in a man-to-man scheme.

Last edited:
and yet the pats still trashed the jets and won the division

Yep. Like I said, Brady covers up for a lot of deficiencies.

Besides, are you really beating your chest because you managed to beat a team with a rookie QB and a rookie head coach for the division?

i don't think cromartie has any kids in ny/nj so he could really pad his stats.

what do you think, more interceptions or conceptions for cromartie this year ?

New York Redskins? 2010 Free agency and trading stars.

Last edited:

I'd take our safeties over yours and I'd definitely take Vollmer over Woody and Mayo over Harris (although that's a pretty close one). Other than that, though, I pretty much agree with what you're saying, although I've always thought position-by-position breakdowns like this have very little meaning when you compare teams. If the linebackers actually lined up and played against each other, then maybe there would be a point in comparing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes