PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gil Brandt's take on Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...urprise-stars?campaign=Twitter_writers_brandt

Malcolm Butler: Things are looking up

I think the Patriots will find a place for Butler as a slot corner, and I expect him to be a significant contributor for some time to come. Based on what I saw on Super Sunday, he seems to have a real feel for the game, reminiscent of former Cowboys defensive back Everson Walls, who led the NFL in interceptions in his first two years in the league. Butler just seemed to know where the ball was. This isn't based solely on that last-minute interception, either. Butler really jumped out to me on Sunday, showing his ability at several spots throughout the contest.

Consider the role he played in killing a Seahawks drive that could have changed the course of the game late in the third quarter. Seattle was threatening to build on its 10-point lead after reaching midfield on a 25-yard bomb to Ricardo Lockette. On first-and-10, Butler came up to tackle Marshawn Lynch, holding him to a 2-yard gain. On second-and-8, Butler wrapped up Jermaine Kearse after a short completion on the right side, keeping him well behind the first-down marker. Finally, on third-and-2, Butler made an athletic play to break up a deep shot to Kearse on the left. Rather than pushing into Pats territory, the Seahawks were forced to punt -- thanks largely to Butler.

Butler also nearly picked off an incomplete throw to Kearse with 1:55 left in the game. Yes, he technically "gave up" that amazing, multi-bobble 33-yard catch by Kearse that set up Seattle's fateful goal-line chance -- but Butler had Kearse covered really well, and he had the awareness to get up and knock the receiver out of bounds, preventing an easy score. And, of course, Butler capped it all off withthe interception of a lifetime, driving to the ball and making good on a lesson he'd learned in practice.

Butler's story is truly something. After stints at Hinds Community College in Mississippi and working at a Popeyes restaurant, he landed at West Alabama, then went undrafted and unsigned, untilPatriots cornerbacks coach Josh Boyer called to bring him in for a tryout. Butler signed with New England on May 19, and he didn't play a ton in 2014. But when he did see the field, he was effective, allowing just 54.6 percent of passes thrown his way to be completed, the eighth-best burn rate among cornerbacks with 25 to 40 targets. His rise is a testament to the super job New England does with coaching and with teaching technique. Butler might not be All-Pro-caliber, but the Pats seem to have landed a solid player simply by digging a little bit deeper than everyone else.

Gil is a great follow on Twitter. He'll answer your questions. He's a damn legend in the draft process.

kid made all the plays..and looked so natural. Could this be a star in the making?

In the several TC sessions I attended, the dude always seemed to do something...

Brandt is a pretty good analyst, but I just don't know why he hates Belichick so much. He hated him before it was cool to hate him.

The thing I love most about this defense is how much more room it has to grow:

1. Browner/Revis - this was, amazingly, their first season in the system
2. Collins- absolute beast and still has room to grow
3. Butler- showing major signs and still has room to grow
4. Chung - finally playing a game that comes naturally to him since we have CBs locked down
5. Hightower - Came into his own with Mayo out and probably more room even now to grow

It's really incredible to consider just how many parts of this defense are brand new and yet they're SO versatile. It's very exciting. All of that without Mayo even in the lineup. Crazy.

The thing I love most about this defense is how much more room it has to grow:

1. Browner/Revis - this was, amazingly, their first season in the system
2. Collins- absolute beast and still has room to grow
3. Butler- showing major signs and still has room to grow
4. Chung - finally playing a game that comes naturally to him since we have CBs locked down
5. Hightower - Came into his own with Mayo out and probably more room even now to grow

It's really incredible to consider just how many parts of this defense are brand new and yet they're SO versatile. It's very exciting. All of that without Mayo even in the lineup. Crazy.

Plus Easley who is pretty much like an extra first round pick this year...This D has a real chance to improve yet again, assuming we can keep Revis. Exciting times.

I have a man crush on his effort in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST