PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Getting Into Kraft's Thought Process - Some Thoughts

It’s amazing to me that people create this perspective that relationships within the organization are combative and adverserial
Kraft and bb have worked together for more than 25 years. They have had more success together than any owner/hc/gm in the history of the sport. They have spent 25 years developing and honing a shared philosophy on how to run the organization and have success. For 25 years there has been a philosophy and a plan. Now suddenly people think there is distrust, ultimatums, diametrically opposed beliefs and in fighting.
There is a 25 year relationship with thousands of discussions, decisions, conversations, collaborations.
I agree that BB and Kraft have an established working relationship that is the foundation for working through a succession plan. Otherwise BB would have been gone long ago. It seems as if you have never worked in a corporate environment where people are incented to work together towards a common goal while also serving personal agendas. Open conflict is frowned upon so everyone pretends to be nice on the surface while playing politics in the background. The fact that both parties use the media to advance their perspectives is proof enough that it isn't as cuddly and nice as you seem to believe. That does not mean that they are adversaries.

OK, which QB's have been drafted in the past 5 years?
How man started the season?
How many were successful?
Quite a few started the season. You know the names, you can look them up.

If i was Kraft here is what i would try to do, obviously it takes all parties agreeing to it which might not happen, but assume a perfect world for a min.

Step 1 is prepare for free agency and the draft, at this point a new GM isnt going to be able to do Jack diddle squat besides rely on the scouting already done so might as well have Wolf keep doing what hes been doing while scouting a long term GM to hire now but officially promote in May. I have no idea who that GM is but i trust the krafts to do thier due diligence and get someone competent. **** it may even be wolf.

Step 2, gracefully start the transition away from BB as god of NE football operations. For all those people who want him out of the building i have to ask what you are smoking? The man is a genius and a football savant who has forgotten more about the pigskin then everyone else here combined. Granted he will be 72, the latest rebuild bombed horribly, and he has 2-3 years at most left before retirement but he is still an incredibly valuable treasure trove of information and strategy. You milk every last drop out of him you can get.

I want him in an ernie adams kind of role for the next HC, no power or final say so in decision making but give him full and complete access to research whatever the hell he wants. Have him in the HC ear on gameday so when they go hey who was the guy that replaced lou? Oh yeah wallie pip. Every coach needs a guy like that. Take a couple days to scout a team and get some in depth game winning practice tip like the butler pick. Go to any position group and coach technique and fundamentals. Attend and give input to any coaching meeting that peaks your interest. I think if given the freedom to just add to the team without the pressure and responsibility of being THE man BB would be a huge assest.

Step 3. Coaching staff. With BB stepping into an advisory role that opens up the HC spot and i want Mayo in it. Yeah his nickname is Bellichick jr and do we really want more of the same? I say a 30 year younger, more energetic BB? Sign me up!

I do think there is something to Bills message getting lost to a younger generation. Im 40 and have two kids 15 and 6. Watching my mom interact with them slams home just how much the world has changed in the past 20-30 years and the older generation (IMO and from my POV) just hasnt kept up and refuses to try. I may think thier tik tok dances are stupid but i at least know what they are. My mom only asks them basic boring crap they could not care less about like "how are you doing in school?" Mayo being 30 years younger and able to relate, especially as a former player, is a factor i dont think gets discussed enough in why he would be an excellent HC. Plus he has played for and been trained by BB so the transfer shouldnt be as jarring. Keep the traditions and strategies that work, while wrapping it in a younger fresh message that the players dont roll thier eyes at going "ok boomer"

Now to get our first year HC some help. Keep Steve as DC and let the D stay as much the same as possible. They fit the modern NFL and with even an average offense would be contending for the playoffs/superbowl.

Offense keep BOB as OC but let him choose and hire a WR, TE and Oline coach. Whoever he wants. Make it clear BOB is in charge of the offense while reporting to Mayo. Love me some Bingo the football player but sadly TB80 the football coach has to go. Same with Klem and i dont even know who the TE coach is which tells you everything you need to know there.

The only position coach im forcing on BOB is QB and thats McDaniels. Im hoping and praying Maye makes it to 3, plus bringing in a flacco, Mayfield, or cousins. With that QB room i want to give the rookie every possible advantage of sitting, learning, and basically the opposite of what they did to Mac. Not being thrown to the wolves, having a veteran to lean on and take the pressure of starting off, and a consistent coaching voice for a couple years. Plus that gives Mayo 3 former HCs to take advice from.

and they weren't successful; you can look it up.

and they weren't successful; you can look it up.
Whether they play right away or not doesn’t determine if they are successful, their ability does.
Fewer that start day 1 fail than those that don’t.

You are correct, more teams are starting QB's on Day 1

The open question is whether this is a good idea. We are NOT a dumpster team with little shot at the playoffs with an average veteran QB starting for us.

OK, IN YOUR OPINION, should a rookie QB start?
In the 2024 draft class, which QB's would you start for Game 1?

And to be clear, do you believe that we should start 2024 without a veteran backup? That strategy worked so well in 2023.

If i was Kraft here is what i would try to do, obviously it takes all parties agreeing to it which might not happen, but assume a perfect world for a min.

Step 1 is prepare for free agency and the draft, at this point a new GM isnt going to be able to do Jack diddle squat besides rely on the scouting already done so might as well have Wolf keep doing what hes been doing while scouting a long term GM to hire now but officially promote in May. I have no idea who that GM is but i trust the krafts to do thier due diligence and get someone competent. **** it may even be wolf.

Step 2, gracefully start the transition away from BB as god of NE football operations. For all those people who want him out of the building i have to ask what you are smoking? The man is a genius and a football savant who has forgotten more about the pigskin then everyone else here combined. Granted he will be 72, the latest rebuild bombed horribly, and he has 2-3 years at most left before retirement but he is still an incredibly valuable treasure trove of information and strategy. You milk every last drop out of him you can get.

I want him in an ernie adams kind of role for the next HC, no power or final say so in decision making but give him full and complete access to research whatever the hell he wants. Have him in the HC ear on gameday so when they go hey who was the guy that replaced lou? Oh yeah wallie pip. Every coach needs a guy like that. Take a couple days to scout a team and get some in depth game winning practice tip like the butler pick. Go to any position group and coach technique and fundamentals. Attend and give input to any coaching meeting that peaks your interest. I think if given the freedom to just add to the team without the pressure and responsibility of being THE man BB would be a huge assest.

Step 3. Coaching staff. With BB stepping into an advisory role that opens up the HC spot and i want Mayo in it. Yeah his nickname is Bellichick jr and do we really want more of the same? I say a 30 year younger, more energetic BB? Sign me up!

I do think there is something to Bills message getting lost to a younger generation. Im 40 and have two kids 15 and 6. Watching my mom interact with them slams home just how much the world has changed in the past 20-30 years and the older generation (IMO and from my POV) just hasnt kept up and refuses to try. I may think thier tik tok dances are stupid but i at least know what they are. My mom only asks them basic boring crap they could not care less about like "how are you doing in school?" Mayo being 30 years younger and able to relate, especially as a former player, is a factor i dont think gets discussed enough in why he would be an excellent HC. Plus he has played for and been trained by BB so the transfer shouldnt be as jarring. Keep the traditions and strategies that work, while wrapping it in a younger fresh message that the players dont roll thier eyes at going "ok boomer"

Now to get our first year HC some help. Keep Steve as DC and let the D stay as much the same as possible. They fit the modern NFL and with even an average offense would be contending for the playoffs/superbowl.

Offense keep BOB as OC but let him choose and hire a WR, TE and Oline coach. Whoever he wants. Make it clear BOB is in charge of the offense while reporting to Mayo. Love me some Bingo the football player but sadly TB80 the football coach has to go. Same with Klem and i dont even know who the TE coach is which tells you everything you need to know there.

The only position coach im forcing on BOB is QB and thats McDaniels. Im hoping and praying Maye makes it to 3, plus bringing in a flacco, Mayfield, or cousins. With that QB room i want to give the rookie every possible advantage of sitting, learning, and basically the opposite of what they did to Mac. Not being thrown to the wolves, having a veteran to lean on and take the pressure of starting off, and a consistent coaching voice for a couple years. Plus that gives Mayo 3 former HCs to take advice from.
Why would belichick willingly go from running the entire operation to being a stooge with no authority?

Whether they play right away or not doesn’t determine if they are successful, their ability does.
Fewer that start day 1 fail than those that don’t.
their ability, their coaching, their OL all help determine success.

You are correct, more teams are starting QB's on Day 1

The open question is whether this is a good idea. We are NOT a dumpster team with little shot at the playoffs with an average veteran QB starting for us.

And to be clear, do you believe that we should start 2024 without a veteran backup? That strategy worked so well in 2023.
You aren’t drafting a qb in top 3 to have him sit out a season. You aren’t drafting a qb in the top 3 with his production in year 1 being anywhere near the primary concern.
You are capitulating that you will probably have a losing record in order to get your qb of the future experience.

If you seriously think
We are NOT a dumpster team with little shot at the playoffs with an average veteran QB starting for us.
Then why are you bloviating all over these pages to fire the greatest hc/gm to ever do the job?

Why would belichick willingly go from running the entire operation to being a stooge with no authority?
Who said anything about being a stooge? I said let him coach where he wants, research what he wants, and just trust him to contribute however he sees fit without the pressure and responsibility. You know like ernie did. He is still an extremely valuable resource but the facts of the latest rebuild dont lie, BB has lost his fastball and being the HC, GM, and coordinater is too much at his age. So this gives him a role where he can contribute, and still work with his sons, while setting up the future when he retires.

OK, which QB's have been drafted in the past 5 years?
How man started the season?
How many were successful?

I think there are plenty of examples that come to mind for me (Stroud, Burrow before his injury, Herbert). Hell, even Mac was successful for most of his rookie year before the cracks started to show. But I think your larger point is a good one: That there needs to be a guy on the roster you feel confident can do the job until that rookie is ready, because you don't want to just assume the kid is going to start week 1 and have no plan behind him. Then you're almost forced to start him even though he's not ready, like the Jets did with Wilson. Going into camp that year, the guy on the Jets roster who had thrown the most passes in the NFL was a wide receiver.

Draft a kid high (if a good one is there), put as many pieces around him as you can to help him succeed right away, but have a veteran presence there who at least gives that kid a floor he has to beat out to earn a week 1 start. For example, if Drake Maye can't beat out someone like Brissett, then he should be sitting and learning anyway.

Mac Jones started as a rookie. So the Patriots are not exceptions to that trend.

Quite frankly the Texans wouldn't be in the playoffs this year if they had NOT started Stroud as a rookie.

My only caveat would be that you don't just hand the keys over to the new rookie QB, make him win a competition in camp.

If he earns the job, then he's good enough to start, period. Get the ball rolling if he shows competent mastery of the offense and is better than your other options at the position.

I'm not against a bridge veteran QB but it all depends on how ready the rookie QB is. Every situation calls for individual judgment calls depending on who you have.

Who said anything about being a stooge? I said let him coach where he wants, research what he wants, and just trust him to contribute however he sees fit without the pressure and responsibility. You know like ernie did. He is still an extremely valuable resource but the facts of the latest rebuild dont lie, BB has lost his fastball and being the HC, GM, and coordinater is too much at his age. So this gives him a role where he can contribute, and still work with his sons, while setting up the future when he retires.
You want him to become Ernie Adams.
It’s like asking a CEO to come to lunch a couple of times a month after you put him out to pasture.

Why in the world would a guy who ran the organization for 25 years want to do that? It’s insulting.

I think there are plenty of examples that come to mind for me (Stroud, Burrow before his injury, Herbert). Hell, even Mac was successful for most of his rookie year before the cracks started to show. But I think your larger point is a good one: That there needs to be a guy on the roster you feel confident can do the job until that rookie is ready, because you don't want to just assume the kid is going to start week 1 and have no plan behind him. Then you're almost forced to start him even though he's not ready, like the Jets did with Wilson. Going into camp that year, the guy on the Jets roster who had thrown the most passes in the NFL was a wide receiver.

Draft a kid high (if a good one is there), put as many pieces around him as you can to help him succeed right away, but have a veteran presence there who at least gives that kid a floor he has to beat out to earn a week 1 start. For example, if Drake Maye can't beat out someone like Brissett, then he should be sitting and learning anyway.
Sure, Shroud, Burrow and Herbert are fine examples of those QB's who started and succeeded. Even these needed veteran backups in case of injury.

My question is whether we should PLAN for our QB to start and stay healthy. In that case Zappe is fine backup, He wouldn't ever get on the field. I have a different view. I think that I would rather have Brissette start and be a backup.

BTW, how has starting Game 1 helped Bryce and Richardson?

You want him to become Ernie Adams.
It’s like asking a CEO to come to lunch a couple of times a month after you put him out to pasture.

Why in the world would a guy who ran the organization for 25 years want to do that? It’s insulting.
No Andy, youre insulting everyone heres intellgence. I gave multiple things he could be doing, whatever and however much he wants to do. That is not "stop in a couple times a month" its just taking him out of having final say in the decision making process because like it or not he is 72, his latest rebuild bombed spectacularly, and while i agree the media blows things out of proportion how many stories of extreme coaching disfunction do you need to read to believe something isnt right in foxboro? All good things end, and its Belichicks time

No Andy, youre insulting everyone heres intellgence. I gave multiple things he could be doing, whatever and however much he wants to do. That is not "stop in a couple times a month" its just taking him out of having final say in the decision making process because like it or not he is 72, his latest rebuild bombed spectacularly, and while i agree the media blows things out of proportion how many stories of extreme coaching disfunction do you need to read to believe something isnt right in foxboro? All good things end, and its Belichicks time
If you believe those things why would you want him anywhere around the team?
Instead you call him a genius and want to chop his balls off and take away his authority but keep him around because he’s so smart.
How is that better for him than coaching elsewhere?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back