PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper: Wanted: Stand-up guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
im trying really hard to understand peoples logic. First no one has yet to come up with a passage in the article that was truly negative. Wouldnt be surprised if some of you complaining even read the article. Also you guys state that since he's new he cant have a negative opinion. You guys are basically saying he needs to cover the Pats for 10 years writing only positive things before he can criticize the patriots. The guy got the job and is told to write a story about a topic everyone is wondering about-the next DC of the Patriots. The Pats defense seems to have some issue every year. mangini and pees NFL experience was all under belichick. Ever since Romeo left the pats have either struggled against the run, the pass, rushing the passer, or creating turnovers. What makes people so sure that Patricia will come up with fresh ideas considering hes been studying under the same people. Sorry that gasper has an opinion. He could have easily written a story about patricia where he interviews his high school coach and mom and dad, where they surprisingly tell us they always knew he would be a leader and is perfect for the job, that way everyone around here gets excited since high school coaches and parents never have an unbiased opinion. Last years Pats were so stale and boring, never coming up with the clutch play on either side of the ball. they reminded me of carrolls first year with the pats. good enough to beat mediocre teams and smoke bad teams but lose to the good teams.

It was snide in it's tone which is fine. I like snide when the writer has authority AND TALENT.

We get it: YOU are down on the Pats. Submit your resume maybe the Globe's hiring.

Don't you think it would help to hear from a "messenger" with well-researched, supportive information to back up his opinion? Everyone has an "opinion." Simply being able to turn a clever phrase doesn't quite cut it.

Clearly, given the site's history with past writer's that have written "with well-researched, supportive information to back up his opinion", the answer is that it would not help.

It was snide in it's tone which is fine. I like snide when the writer has authority AND TALENT.

We get it: YOU are down on the Pats. Submit your resume maybe the Globe's hiring.

If your happy with 10-6 and getting knocked out in the playoffs thats fine. I didnt know Ian and Co. created this site so only Pats fans with only positive things to say. I though the site is for Pats fans to give their opinions. Snide? I didnt feel the article was snide.

A couple of years ago when peter king was kissing the pats butt and writing how much smarter BB is then everyone, the thread would be filled on how king is in the know and he's smart and well written. Then when king writes something negative about the Pats, he's a blowhard who just trys to stir it up for TV. A lot of Pats fans can see through some of the posters who cant handle a negative about the Pats.

people here have become so standard in their responses. Talk about a college linebacker on here and you get 80% of the reply's on here that he doesnt fit the system. Because apparently the only LB only to come out of college the last 9 years that fits in this system is Jerod mayo. But no one wants to mention the numerous o-lineman that have been drafted the last few years that never made the field. I really believe people on here think that Guyton is some stud who will develop into a pro bowler with the Pats, but your looked down upon if you wonder out loud how laurinitus, Rey M., or Clay matthews would look in a pats uniform, because you get the same they dont fit in the system-apparently the pats system involves linebackers who tackle 5 yards up field and dont come up with any sacks or ints. But since people remember those articles from 5 years ago that the pats like to trade down for value, and that college LB's dont fit the system, it will forever hold true.

If your happy with 10-6 and getting knocked out in the playoffs thats fine. I didnt know Ian and Co. created this site so only Pats fans with only positive things to say. I though the site is for Pats fans to give their opinions. Snide? I didnt feel the article was snide.

A couple of years ago when peter king was kissing the pats butt and writing how much smarter BB is then everyone, the thread would be filled on how king is in the know and he's smart and well written. Then when king writes something negative about the Pats, he's a blowhard who just trys to stir it up for TV. A lot of Pats fans can see through some of the posters who cant handle a negative about the Pats.

people here have become so standard in their responses. Talk about a college linebacker on here and you get 80% of the reply's on here that he doesnt fit the system. Because apparently the only LB only to come out of college the last 9 years that fits in this system is Jerod mayo. But no one wants to mention the numerous o-lineman that have been drafted the last few years that never made the field. I really believe people on here think that Guyton is some stud who will develop into a pro bowler with the Pats, but your looked down upon if you wonder out loud how laurinitus, Rey M., or Clay matthews would look in a pats uniform, because you get the same they dont fit in the system-apparently the pats system involves linebackers who tackle 5 yards up field and dont come up with any sacks or ints. But since people remember those articles from 5 years ago that the pats like to trade down for value, and that college LB's dont fit the system, it will forever hold true.

Forget what I said, do not submit your resume. Your run on sentences would do you in.

Did I say I am happy? Did I say I am satisfied?

I just don't see any positive stories any time from any Boston outlet. Your view is just different. I could be wrong about the media's temperature but I don't SEE it kissing the Pats' collective butt consistently the way you do.

Sometimes the truth hurts... I know people want to bash writers who hate on the patirots, but this was not a bash article, it was a fair assesment.

I agree, its like you want to coach in New England? You will do it for little $, you will not question anything and you should be happy enough just to work with Belichick.

Sometimes the truth hurts... I know people want to bash writers who hate on the patirots, but this was not a bash article, it was a fair assesment.

Yeah ... a winning percentage of like 70% since 2000 ... that really hurts.

Amazing what injuries to key people will do to the perception from some fans.

Bill's ideas just plain suck ... and he should know this. :rolleyes:

Clearly, given the site's history with past writer's that have written "with well-researched, supportive information to back up his opinion", the answer is that it would not help.

Well, I can only refer to Borges and Tomase as previous purveyors of horrid Patriots scribing; not sure about others. But Gasper sure tossed his hat in the ring with that piece of immature dreck.

im trying really hard to understand peoples logic. First no one has yet to come up with a passage in the article that was truly negative... Also you guys state that since he's new he cant have a negative opinion. The guy got the job and is told to write a story about a topic everyone is wondering about-the next DC of the Patriots.

You miss many poster's points. He didn't write an article on what everone is wondering. He did is best to make it appear he did. For me, I find his and other Boston Sportswriters cutesy writing annoying and a passive way to avoid subjects. They dance around topics using multiple sentences to say what could be done in one. Gasper is a joke not because he may be negative, but because his writing is style over content - a Boston media requirement. They don't write to be read by readers, but by themselves.

"Patriots have not parted ways with their defensive coordinator."
How cute. It takes him two paragraphs to complete this angle.

"That was immediately hailed as another stroke of genius by the genius."
He is either mocking the genius tag or the people who refer to BB as a genius. I notice that the people who harp about BB being a genius are the people who don't think he is. They love to keep the genius pot stirred. Either way, it's filler.

"It’s like trying to play Rock Band with Eric Clapton"

This more of a weak CHB imitation. It seems that writers want to be Borges or CHB.

"That defensive game plan and the red jacket Belichick wore for the game - which worked out decidedly better than the red hoodie he sported in Super Bowl XLII - are both in the Pro Football Hall of Fame."

This is really telling of the filler/fluff style. What is this article about? BB's clothing? Red jacket - red hoodie?

" Belichick would have to be willing to bend a little bit on his beliefs, something he was not willing to do with Dom Capers, who might as well have been in the Witness Protection Program while he was here."

Witness Protection Program - again trying to be cute. Well Capers isn't in the program now, so why not do some research and tell us what was his input? Was it ignored? What impact did he have? Nothing from Gasper - just that he never got any quotes from him.

I think the inside/outside coaching choice is a excellent topic. I just think it was wasted on a guy like Gasper.

"That’s not to say Patricia shouldn’t be seriously considered. He has earned that much."

Wow, what a fat fence he sits on. Ordway would be jealous.

You guys are basically saying he needs to cover the Pats for 10 years writing only positive things before he can criticize the patriots.

OK, on Gasper specifically saying they should hire outside, it is rather funny. Little Chris Gasper says the Patriots should hire outside. I'd respect his writing more if he went into successful coaches who hired outside. Can BB work with someone outside at this point in his career? Afterall, both RAC and Mangini said that they made every defensive call the seasons they were DCs. But he had close relationships with them. Try to give the reader something to think about (not his intention, BTW).

Last edited:
Wow, what a fat fence he sits on. Ordway would be jealous.

during the summer, you can find Ordway on the deck of my Maritime...flip floppin' like the fat flounder he is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST