PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gary Myers NY Daily News: Brady had a advantage against the Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gary Myers NY Daily News- Brady had a advantage against the Pathers

I have to give Mike Dowling and Bob Hohler (?) credit when they were interviewed about the Thomase story. Neither disguised his disgust that Thomase had used an unconfirmed "source inside the Patriots organization" and both said it is something that should never be done.

Yeah, that was Bob Halloran. And it pleasantly surprised me because mediots/journalists/writers (whatever multi-function hat they wear at any given time) tend to circle the waggons. Halloran looked genuinely (ethically) aghast because Tomase is supposed to be a beat reporter and Halloran unlike some of his on air peers cut his teeth as a newspaper reporter so he knows the level to which the sourcing/confirmation is supposed to rise above. Trouble is locally in Boston these days we have far too many multi-sport "columnists" and tabloid reporters with no football background and talk show mediots whose lives revolve around ratings points, and no nuts and bolts football beat reporter save Reiss and absolutely no sports journalists. Reiss doesn't have the necessary stature to turn the tables and stand up and tell his in and out of town peers to STFU and start acting responsibly. Not that he'd have done it if he didn't like BB... but Will had that kind of stature, and Borgie and Mannix could have developed it if they weren't a couple of bitter pricks.

I Was made aware of an interesting comment by Dan LeBatard, the ESPN talk show host out of Miami who is also a columnist for the Miami Herald. In his Q&A forum in the Herald someone asks him the question below. The tail end of his response (in bold), which gets into the cheating of the Patriots mentions Doug Flutie and his alleged knowledge of it while he played there in the final year of his career in 2005. It's all hearsay I guess so take it for what it's worth.

Q: Doesn't Arlen Specter & the US Senate have more important concerns than how the NFL handles its disciplinary matters? Is this what they need all of that tax money for?

Pete, Lebanon, PA 2/01/08

A: Yes, but if congress is going to be involved in steroids it should be involved in this too....its the same crap....i'll never understand why people make the distinction between steroids and spygate....it is the same thing.....what do you hear with spygate? everyone does it. well, yeah, but same goes for steroids, right? we are now learning that EVERYONE DID IT....and yet steroids creates hysteria and everyone in football talks about spygate being overblown....they won three super bowls by three points...it wouldn't take much of an advantage to be a HUGE advantage....this story have been overcovered but underreported....i've heard second hand about doug flutie being amazed when he got there that the plays were being piped into his helmet warning brady what was coming.....we've tried to talk to flutie on our radio show about it but he hangs up on my producer.....

Dan Le Batard 2/04/08
http://www.realcities.com/mld/miami...3393&mode=display&action=&type=list&pageNo=12

Dan The Bastard didn't seem to mind when the Dolphins stole the Patriots signals, did he?

So now you're showing how hypocritical you are by citing hypocrites.

I have to give Mike Dowling and Bob Hohler (?) credit when they were interviewed about the Thomase story. Neither disguised his disgust that Thomase had used an unconfirmed "source inside the Patriots organization" and both said it is something that should never be done.

That's saying something since Hohler in particular has never shyed away from a critical story on the local sports scene, but at least Hohler gets every single quote from a named source.

He quotes people saying , that he was communicated with thru headsets and knew when the Pathers were calling on defense.. Ok I have enough of this crap, I know people like gary myers hate the patriots, and belichick, but its getting out of hand, Im getting tired of the taint on our accomplishments.. Again we cant move forward until this nonsense stops..

Read the article at www.nydailynews.com

I had the paper at home, but im sure its online..

FYI...it's ok to know what the other team is calling for defense. It's how the information is obtained. Remember, it's ok to steal defensive signals.

Dan The Bastard didn't seem to mind when the Dolphins stole the Patriots signals, did he?

So now you're showing how hypocritical you are by citing hypocrites.

I thought I was on your ignore list? And why are you starting with the name calling again?

I wasn't trying to stir the pot, I was citing this because I read a related story that had to do with this thread, and I was the one that pointed out that it was hearsay.

I Was made aware of an interesting comment by Dan LeBatard, the ESPN talk show host out of Miami who is also a columnist for the Miami Herald. In his Q&A forum in the Herald someone asks him the question below. The tail end of his response (in bold), which gets into the cheating of the Patriots mentions Doug Flutie and his alleged knowledge of it while he played there in the final year of his career in 2005. It's all hearsay I guess so take it for what it's worth.

Q: Doesn't Arlen Specter & the US Senate have more important concerns than how the NFL handles its disciplinary matters? Is this what they need all of that tax money for?

Pete, Lebanon, PA 2/01/08

A: Yes, but if congress is going to be involved in steroids it should be involved in this too....its the same crap....i'll never understand why people make the distinction between steroids and spygate....it is the same thing.....what do you hear with spygate? everyone does it. well, yeah, but same goes for steroids, right? we are now learning that EVERYONE DID IT....and yet steroids creates hysteria and everyone in football talks about spygate being overblown....they won three super bowls by three points...it wouldn't take much of an advantage to be a HUGE advantage....this story have been overcovered but underreported....i've heard second hand about doug flutie being amazed when he got there that the plays were being piped into his helmet warning brady what was coming.....we've tried to talk to flutie on our radio show about it but he hangs up on my producer.....

Dan Le Batard 2/04/08
http://www.realcities.com/mld/miami...3393&mode=display&action=&type=list&pageNo=12

If people want to compare spygate to steroids, then every NFL team must be investigated just like the steroids issue. There is no way around it...there is no other choice. Either it's like the steroid issue and there will be a league wide investigation or it's not like steroids and the senate has no business poking their nose around in it.

There is NO in between on this. If people want to compare the two, then they must be treated as such and every single team MUST be investigated....So, which is it going to be?

Last edited:

Can we just start suing the hell out of people?

What the F*** has gotten into the heads of sports reporters that they feel they have the right to write about any rumor they hear no matter how little sense it makes just to add to the pile of lies? Seriously, WTF is wrong with these people?

Guys like Tomase have lowered the level of the entire sports writing profession and it seems they just don't give a F***.

If people want to compare spygate to steroids, then every NFL team must be investigated just like the steroids issue. There is no way around it...there is no other choice. Either it's like the steroid issue and there will be a league wide investigation or it's not like steroids and the senate has no business poking their nose around in it.

Which is it going to be?

I am all for a league wide investigation. It's the only way to make it stop. I'm sure the Pats aren't the only ones doing it, and if BB has the goods on other teams he should spill. I just don't understand why he hasn't yet, when his reputation and the reputation of the team is being tarnished by the media. Not to mention the commissioner is throwing him under the bus.

I am all for a league wide investigation. It's the only way to make it stop. I'm sure the Pats aren't the only ones doing it, and if BB has the goods on other teams he should spill. I just don't understand why he hasn't yet, when his reputation and the reputation of the team is being tarnished by the media. Not to mention the commissioner is throwing him under the bus.

And if we all stop for a minute and take a deep breath and consider if it was the Arizona Cardinals who video taped signals and were caught, would they be in the EXACT same position as the Patriots.

If the answer is no, then this issue should already be dead. It is illegal to penalize teams differently based upon their level of success or the supposed arrogance of their coach.

And it is clearly illegal for the government to be involved based solely upon the level of media attention the issue has received. Remember, the Patriots must be treated as any other team would have been treated. And that applies to media coverage as well...but of course the media has no ethics, they just want to sell their product.

When all is said & done, teams should be allowed to video tape signals since it's not against the rules to steal them or even to video tape them from another location. The entire issue is a GIANT farce.

Last edited:

The real question is why does the OP have a print copy of the NYDN???

What in the world would an investigation accomplish? Nothing.

You still don't get it, do you? There is no way to police the stealing of signals. Goodell said this very explicitly to Bob Costas. The only reason he had to police it this time is because the Jets got the police involved, and it became a PR nightmare. Otherwise, the NFL is perfectly fine with it.

I thought I was on your ignore list? And why are you starting with the name calling again?

I wasn't trying to stir the pot, I was citing this because I read a related story that had to do with this thread, and I was the one that pointed out that it was hearsay.

There isn't one. I hit the thing I thought was one, the yield with the exclamation sign to the upper right, and to my dismay, I still have to read your drivel.

I called you a name? Huh? Where do you see that?

There isn't one. I hit the thing I thought was one, the yield with the exclamation sign to the upper right, and to my dismay, I still have to read your drivel.

I just love these little spats! Can I get in on this one?:D

A Defense stocked full of Roid-Monkeys is way more effective than possibly taping signals.

Exactly, some people (media) just want to ignore that fact.

And if we all stop for a minute and take a deep breath and consider if it was the Arizona Cardinals who video taped signals and were caught, would they be in the EXACT same position as the Patriots.

If the answer is no, then this issue should already be dead. It is illegal to penalize teams differently based upon their level of success or the supposed arrogance of their coach.

And it is clearly illegal for the government to be involved based solely upon the level of media attention the issue has received. Remember, the Patriots must be treated as any other team would have been treated. And that applies to media coverage as well...but of course the media has no ethics, they just want to sell their product.

When all is said & done, teams should be allowed to video tape signals since it's not against the rules to steal them or even to video tape them from another location. The entire issue is a GIANT farce.
I don't know if the Pats are being unfairly singled out, but an investigation would resolve that issue. And I don't think the govt. is doing anything illegal, seeing how there are taxpayer dollars involved. Everything else in your post I agree with. I have no problem making videotaping legal.

What in the world would an investigation accomplish? Nothing.

You still don't get it, do you? There is no way to police the stealing of signals. Goodell said this very explicitly to Bob Costas. The only reason he had to police it this time is because the Jets got the police involved, and it became a PR nightmare. Otherwise, the NFL is perfectly fine with it.
Fine, than make it legal to videotape from the sidelines. I just want a level playing field, so I've got no problem with that.

I believe you called me a hypocrite. That's OK, I forgive you.

To place someone on "Ignore", I believe you go to "User CP", than "Edit Ignore List", than copy and paste "DropKick Flutie" in the space provided. So ignore me if you wish, but I'm not here to troll or stir the pot. I love the Bills, the Bills play the Pats twice a year and the Pats are the talk of the NFL right now. That is why I'm here. I'm sure we won't agree on everything, but at least we agree on some things. Like the Giants, Dolphins, and Jets all suck the fat one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST