PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gary Myers NY Daily News: Brady had a advantage against the Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gary Myers NY Daily News- Brady had a advantage against the Pathers

Countdown until the Colts chime in with a lawsuit claiming that Seyton should have 3 Superbowls based on what the evil Patriots did to his career.

First of all the fact that he compares it to steriods is enough to lose all credibility for me. Unlike steriods, this stuff has been going on in the NFL since the beginning of it. Even before the NFL as we know it today. It is part of scouting other teams, getting as much information as you can. Or are we talking bout sign stealing? The shall we call stealing signs in baseball the same as steriods? Hell no. Second of all, I've seen his pieces, he is nothing more than a journalist who lives by sensationalism to the extreme. And thirdly that information from the SECOND HAND SOURCE is so vague it could include multiple things. In fact, Brady himself has said that the Pats have prepped him so well to know what to look for in what situation, just as BradfordPatsFan said. But, no, Doug must have been talking about the cheating ways of the Patriots! :rolleyes:

We all know that the Pats are meticulous. They break down film. They see what the situation is and what a team's tendencies are in those situations. They say, "hey Tom, watch for the MIKE to blitz through the a-gap here." Isn't that what teams SHOULD do?

Apparently, a large majority of fans out there think that no team in the league ever pays attention to game tape, watches the opposing formations, and makes predictions to their own players. The Patriots only knew anything because they were looking at someone's poker hand before the bet. Right.

These people are hopeless...they think that the NFL is sandlot football, with people just winging it out there with no intelligence.

The Panthers story is foolish, ignorant, envious, and buffoonish. They had just as easy a time scoring as we did late in the game...we just had the ball last. So what does that say about the Panthers?

Countdown until the Colts chime in with a lawsuit claiming that Seyton should have 3 Superbowls based on what the evil Patriots did to his career.

:D Seeing how just about everything else has been thrown out there by the whiney losers of other teams, at this point, nothing would surprise me...

Apparently, a large majority of fans out there think that no team in the league ever pays attention to game tape, watches the opposing formations, and makes predictions to their own players. The Patriots only knew anything because they were looking at someone's poker hand before the bet. Right.

These people are hopeless...they think that the NFL is sandlot football, with people just winging it out there with no intelligence.

The Panthers story is foolish, ignorant, envious, and buffoonish. They had just as easy a time scoring as we did late in the game...we just had the ball last. So what does that say about the Panthers?

Exactly. And what baffles me more is that they think this is exactly what led to our success. Ummm can you say 18-1 this season? We were the first team ever to win 16 games in the regular season...yes but we must have been cheating! and brady must be a cheater fraud who throws 50 td's in a season!

I've used this icon ":rolleyes:" so many times this past week, i can't believe the stupidity of the general public and these b*tchy players...im all out of :rolleyes:'s

The team isn't going to go running around suing (I don't think,) because it fuels this crap, and because at the moment, the Pats "aren't there yet." I don't know that they ever get "there."

Bear in mind, there are 300 million people in the country, scads of news outlets, and a tradition of freedom of speech. The column that kicked off this thread is just one of many airing speculation to fill column inches and air with what people want to read and hear.

Also bear in mind that we know, from watching this from "the other end," that there are patterns one can see as they form and repeat.

One pattern is the "sore loser do-over" pattern. They hear that something "might" be amiss, or there was evidence of thing A happening, and d%#*!@t, they knew they should have won that game!

I've used the comparison of how we'd all feel if none of the "spygate" crap had happened, we'd gone 18-0, and then we found out there was some minor advantage the Giants got caught pursuing in game 1 of next season. EVERYBODY wants a second shot when they lose....

Now, that doesn't make this stupidity okay or correct. What it does is identifies a pattern, and the underlying causes. They are not interested in the "advantage" being major or actually fitting their particular complaint. They are interested in using the "Taint" to justify their own loss as not really a loss, and an unproveable "we shoulda won" is better than a definite "we lost."

Another pattern obvious from our vantage point and apparently not obvious to others, is that the bigger they are (like the Pats,) the more glee the media and other fans take in their downfall. The 2000s Pats are rightfully a glorious passage in the League's annals... but then, at the time, weren't some of us sick and freaking tired of the 90s Cowboys, or the 80's 49ers? I myself just HATED the '85 Bears (of course....) Now, though, we see the stories of those dynasties (or that great '85 Bears team,) and it's all in the part of our brain that loves the game and its history.

Pattern: We hate the biggest guy on the block, at the time, but just love having the collected history in our minds to look back at. Blandness across the league, and an endless parade of one-and-done champions, would bore the hell out of us.

But at the moment, oh how we love to watch the mighty fall!

Now shifting back to the "other" point of view... and here's what we PatsFans don't get...

None of these guys see themselves or their particular gripe as part of the general continuum of griping or the sore-loser approach.

They all see it as how the vast intricate (and who really has time for details?) evil Patriots cheating machine stole their own one moment of glory... Oh, they would have said it before, but nobody would have listened... finally, now it can be told!!! (if not in any way substantiated.)

I don't know how long this crap goes on, this round, but I do know this: Constant exposure in media correlates in the public mind with absolute proof that "there's something there." So be ready to read and hear stories for years, or forever, for that matter, about the whole "taint" thing.

Can you cope, as a Pats fan? Now this "taint" crap is attached to being a Pats fan. You can argue, you can scream, but you'll be outnumbered and outscreamed, forever. Once again, can you cope? It looks like we're all going to have to.

PS, a little good news is that you guys find or see an awful lot more Pats news than me down in the DC area. The details are never in the Post's sports pages, unless a fresh story (and a fairly real one) comes out. MASN (our version of NESN) isn't particularly focused on it... I see more college hoops than anything on the sports channels. Obviously I don't get the Globe or the Herald.

The NY papers, since the Jets started this crap, are another place you'll find the magnifying glass most in place.

Believe it or not, the news down here is "Jim Zorn??? WTF???"

PFnV

Not sure we should sue, should try the leg breaking stuff first.. quicker, less expensive and more painful.

I Was made aware of an interesting comment by Dan LeBatard, the ESPN talk show host out of Miami who is also a columnist for the Miami Herald. In his Q&A forum in the Herald someone asks him the question below. The tail end of his response (in bold), which gets into the cheating of the Patriots mentions Doug Flutie and his alleged knowledge of it while he played there in the final year of his career in 2005. It's all hearsay I guess so take it for what it's worth.

Q: Doesn't Arlen Specter & the US Senate have more important concerns than how the NFL handles its disciplinary matters? Is this what they need all of that tax money for?

Pete, Lebanon, PA 2/01/08

A: Yes, but if congress is going to be involved in steroids it should be involved in this too....its the same crap....i'll never understand why people make the distinction between steroids and spygate....it is the same thing.....what do you hear with spygate? everyone does it. well, yeah, but same goes for steroids, right? we are now learning that EVERYONE DID IT....and yet steroids creates hysteria and everyone in football talks about spygate being overblown....they won three super bowls by three points...it wouldn't take much of an advantage to be a HUGE advantage....this story have been overcovered but underreported....i've heard second hand about doug flutie being amazed when he got there that the plays were being piped into his helmet warning brady what was coming.....we've tried to talk to flutie on our radio show about it but he hangs up on my producer.....

Dan Le Batard 2/04/08
http://www.realcities.com/mld/miami...3393&mode=display&action=&type=list&pageNo=12

Maybe Flutie hung up on his producers because he doesn't want to entertain conspiracy theory BS.

More conspiracy theory crap has spewed out about the Patriots since this story has broke than about any team in NFL history. Someone should tell LeBatard that the reason why it is unreported is because of two things he said himself - he got the information second hand and Flutie has never admitted to saying that. It would be irresponsible journalism to report hearsea. I guess responsible journalism isn't LeBartard's forte.

I have never seen so many sports media people report unconfirmed rumors and inunendo than with Spygate. Sports pages around the country have become the Nation Equirer of sports.

Shocking!! :eek: A hate Belichick piece by a New Yawk writer.
Is there a reason why the Sally's in Patriot nation continue to find this garbage and post it here. Grow up girls and
get a hobby while you're at it. You'll be much happier people for it.

The thing that bothers me the most about this whole mess:

People make the ridiculous leap that just because you may videotape the signals, you automatically have the signals. That's absurd. Whether or not you can take the tapes and grab the signals in 6 minutes at halftime remains to be seen, but to me it's hard to believe. The coaches have other more important things to worry about.

Also, you can just as easily videotape the same signals from an enclosed area which is completely within the rules. Why BB didn't do that, I don't know, that's probably his biggest error here.

Belichick's interpretation of the rule might have been wrong, but his claim that he never used the tapes during a game is very believable.

Regarding the Panthers or any other game. How do you know the taping wasn't for archival purposes and if the signals were stolen, that they weren't stolen with binoculars and a legal pad?

Last edited:

Yeah, Brady had an advantage over the Panthers...He's a HoF QB! He's got an advantage over damn near everybody (except when his O-line doesn't block for him).

Maybe Flutie hung up on his producers because he doesn't want to entertain conspiracy theory BS.

More conspiracy theory crap has spewed out about the Patriots since this story has broke than about any team in NFL history. Someone should tell LeBatard that the reason why it is unreported is because of two things he said himself - he got the information second hand and Flutie has never admitted to saying that. It would be irresponsible journalism to report hearsea. I guess responsible journalism isn't LeBartard's forte.

I have never seen so many sports media people report unconfirmed rumors and inunendo than with Spygate. Sports pages around the country have become the Nation Equirer of sports.

And yet people have no appreciation for why the league or this team would insist on the simple terms like "truthful" and "factual" being incorporated into any indemnity agreement with the whack job from Hawaii... It's so that morons like LeBatard and Myers can't fuel the smear campaign mounted against this team based on nothing more than still entirely unconfirmed rumor, inuendo and heresay repetition of rumor and inuendo.

The steroid analogy is just pathetic. That would be like someone saying steroids are only illegal/cheating in football if you inject them rather than ingest them or if you had a trainer inject you rather than a licensed doctor. No, use of steroids is simply illegal and cheating, period. Stealing signs is not cheating or illegal. Neither is videotaping them. Videotaping anything from an unenclosed location in a stadium is illegal, or at least some of the time it is...

As Peter King told Tom Curren when he got him that MSNBC job, a writers job is to write for his audience. (Although Boston writers have historically fashioned their own exemptions, lest we forget, for when their goal is reaching a national audience.) The easiest way for any mediot to fuel ratings is by appealing to the lowest common denominator.

The thing that bothers me the most about this whole mess:

People make the ridiculous leap that just because you may videotape the signals, you automatically have the signals. That's absurd. Whether or not you can take the tapes and grab the signals in 6 minutes at halftime remains to be seen, but to me it's hard to believe. The coaches have other more important things to worry about.

Also, you can just as easily videotape the same signals from an enclosed area which is completely within the rules. Why BB didn't do that, I don't know, that's probably his biggest error here.

Belichick's interpretation of the rule might have been wrong, but his claim that he never used the tapes during a game is very believable.

Regarding the Panthers or any other game. How do you know the taping wasn't for archival purposes and if the signals were stolen, that they weren't stolen with binoculars and a legal pad?

Doesn't matter Joe........they say we cheated, they think we cheated, they have themselves believing we cheated, they feel better when they think such thoughts and they believe it started the day that BB got here.

They want to think we cheated so they can justify why we are as good as we are, it is as simple as that.

There is only one answer to this whole mess and I now understand exactly where the guy who coined the phrase was coming from:

JUST WIN BABY...............

My respect for BB & the Krafts could not be any STRONGER follwoing all this BS.

Doesn't matter Joe........they say we cheated, they think we cheated, they have themselves believing we cheated, they feel better when they think such thoughts and they believe it started the day that BB got here.

They want to think we cheated so they can justify why we are as good as we are, it is as simple as that.

There is only one answer to this whole mess and I now understand exactly where the guy who coined the phrase was coming from:

JUST WIN BABY...............

My respect for BB & the Krafts could not be any STRONGER follwoing all this BS.

You're absolutely right fgssand...I just wish people would use logic for about 5 minutes. This story would turn into a ghost.

Last edited:

And yet people have no appreciation for why the league or this team would insist on the simple terms like "truthful" and "factual" being incorporated into any indemnity agreement with the whack job from Hawaii... It's so that morons like LeBatard and Myers can't fuel the smear campaign mounted against this team based on nothing more than still entirely unconfirmed rumor, inuendo and heresay repetition of rumor and inuendo.

The steroid analogy is just pathetic. That would be like someone saying steroids are only illegal/cheating in football if you inject them rather than ingest them or if you had a trainer inject you rather than a licensed doctor. No, use of steroids is simply illegal and cheating, period. Stealing signs is not cheating or illegal. Neither is videotaping them. Videotaping anything from an unenclosed location in a stadium is illegal, or at least some of the time it is...

As Peter King told Tom Curren when he got him that MSNBC job, a writers job is to write for his audience. (Although Boston writers have historically fashioned their own exemptions, lest we forget, for when their goal is reaching a national audience.) The easiest way for any mediot to fuel ratings is by appealing to the lowest common denominator.

I have to give Mike Dowling and Bob Hohler (?) credit when they were interviewed about the Thomase story. Neither disguised his disgust that Thomase had used an unconfirmed "source inside the Patriots organization" and both said it is something that should never be done.

Just for those who don't know... Le Batard is french for "The Bastard"

I guess they have to use all these bs "sources" because they cant find real sources...of course flutie would have hung up!!! I wonder why??? oh... because I'm sure he would never say that. no one has any proof of anything.... from Mr. Comcastic all the way down Gary Myers...now maybe I'm wrong, but isnt Gary Myers the same dilusional Jets fan suing the Pats for hundreds of millions for "violating the integrity of the game" or is that someone else? can someone confirm that for me?

A Defense stocked full of Roid-Monkeys is way more effective than possibly taping signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes